Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #91
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
However, by splitting the print rights, they also split the ebook rights.
Not necessarily. Splitting print rights makes sense because distributing print books is geographical by nature. But distributing ebooks is global by nature. So authors can selling the rights for ebooks separately without geographics restrictions because they make less sense. But I think most authors are not aware of the issues because they still live in the 20th century on these matters (as probably also agents and publishers). Time to teach them!
Old 07-08-2010, 09:27 AM   #92
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
Not necessarily. Splitting print rights makes sense because distributing print books is geographical by nature
You just hire a local printer so this is not the relevant factor. The relevant things are targetting the market and things like adapting the language if necessary.
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #93
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Agent Kristin has an interesting blog post on this subject. There are also several comments by angry readers. (Mentioned by Teleread)
Old 07-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #94
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbond1007 View Post
I agree its silly but...

What I havent seen answered is the question of taxes.

I mean if a sale is considered to be the location of the buyer (and this applies to all "software" - how anyone can class an ebook as software I dont know but there you go). So ignoring the actual ability to buy (or not) certain books, by classifying the sale as happening at the location of the purchaser, that surely means that the seller is responsible for taxes in whatever country/location the purchaser happens to be in for every individual sale. For larger companies (Apple/Amazon/etc) this is fine as they just re-direct to your local site and you make the purchase there and they file their taxes etc. How do smaller businesses deal with it? and presumably if the point of sale is at the purchasers location, then the seller doesnt have to pay sale taxes for that purchase at their current location either (must be a logistical/VAT/Sales Tax nightmare)!!

Mark
I think you've hit on the real issue here. The regional rights are a holdover from the print era, like lots of people have said. But what seems to be happening with e-book sales over the Internet is that many US sellers simply don't want to be bothered to try and figure out a way to deal with VAT and are using the regional rights as a handy umbrella excuse.

Software vendors online have managed to cope with this, but the regional rights issue just complicates things and I suspect most book sellers are just saying - oh the heck with it all, we only sell to those in our own region, where we sort of think we know how to cope with the tax stuff. The regional rights thing just becomes a convenient excuse.

It's odd because I've bought e-books from the Sony store in the US (using gift cards purchased by a friend in the US and using her address whenever asked for a "home" address), and Kobo has no problems selling to me in US$ using my US credit card with a French billing address. Waterstones sells to me on my UK credit card (with the same French billing address). Book prices in France are generally outrageous, with a law forbidding the discounting of book prices by more than 5%, so I have yet to be tempted by any e-books here in France. I don't bother with VPNs or anything fancy like that, so I assume all the book vendors know (or could easily find out) where I'm coming from.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #95
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevdeforges View Post
Book prices in France are generally outrageous, with a law forbidding the discounting of book prices by more than 5%, so I have yet to be tempted by any e-books here in France.
Don't want to all here, but that comes as a huge surprise to me. Together with the Icelanders the French has always seemed to be very supportive of their culture and language. Making it harder for book sellers to sell books in the French language seems to fly in the face of that notion. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but comparing English and French translations of Japanese literature the French translation most often comes across as superior.
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #96
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
And yet it's the sad, sad truth. And let's not start talking about the 19.6% VAT on eBooks vs. the 5.5% VAT on paper books... So, yeah, eBook prices in France are nuts. Hopefully that'll change for the better, but we're still way behind on the whole eBook thing for now...

And I can confirm, like bevdeforges, that Waterstones doesn't seem to enforce any geographic restrictions (for now?). I bought something there last week, with a french billing address and & french cc#, from a french IP.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-09-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #97
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Agent Kristin has an interesting blog post on this subject. There are also several comments by angry readers. (Mentioned by Teleread)
Hmmm. I have to question the credibility of someone who thinks The Philippines is a US Territory and that the abbreviation of Australia can be combined with New Zealand and call them ANZ. Last time I looked they were all separate countries.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:21 AM   #98
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I liked this comment from an author on Agent Kristins blog:
Quote:
As a writer, and being aware of this problem, I made sure, when I signed the deal for my book, that the publisher had world English rights. I urge other writers to talk to their agents and publishers and make sure their ebook is available around the world. As Francis said, readers don't give a damn about legalities or how much profit the publisher wants to make. As writers, we need to take some responsibility and make sure our readers can read our ebooks if they want them.
Now if more writers thought like this the problem would be minimal.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:54 AM   #99
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
I liked this comment from an author on Agent Kristins blog:

Now if more writers thought like this the problem would be minimal.
Except that most authors would authorise ebook distribution anyway, but the publishers dont follow through. They just want to retain the rights, just in case! My partner writes books; he authorised US and AUS ebook and dtb distribution a couple of years ago, but only the dtb has happened.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:08 AM   #100
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Except that most authors would authorise ebook distribution anyway, but the publishers dont follow through. They just want to retain the rights, just in case! My partner writes books; he authorised US and AUS ebook and dtb distribution a couple of years ago, but only the dtb has happened.
This I don't get. If a publisher doesn't follow through isn't this a breach of contract. By the way what's dtb distribution?
Old 07-10-2010, 05:05 AM   #101
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
This I don't get. If a publisher doesn't follow through isn't this a breach of contract. By the way what's dtb distribution?
"Dead tree book", I believe.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:13 AM   #102
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:
Only if the timing of distribution is written into the contract.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #103
pietvo
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Hmmm. I have to question the credibility of someone who thinks The Philippines is a US Territory and that the abbreviation of Australia can be combined with New Zealand and call them ANZ. Last time I looked they were all separate countries.
The fact that her geography isn't up to date doesn't mean that her writing about publishing is also defective. And maybe ANZ is a publisher's code for Australia/New Zealand?
Old 07-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #104
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:
The fact that her geography isn't up to date doesn't mean that her writing about publishing is also defective. And maybe ANZ is a publisher's code for Australia/New Zealand?
I could agree with that if the topic had nothing to do with geographical issues Eg How to fix a car. But she is writing about copyright issues and geographical restrictions and thinks The Philippines is a USA territory. Hell, in some circles, statements like start wars!

As for the ANZ thing, in publishing circles AUS is also regarded as a separate entity in its own right and has separate copyright restrictions to NZ. New Zealanders aren't allowed access to the kindle for instance.

These are basic issues and knowledge of them is integral to her topic. Hence the lack of cred.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:41 AM   #105
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
And I can confirm, like bevdeforges, that Waterstones doesn't seem to enforce any geographic restrictions (for now?). I bought something there last week, with a french billing address and & french cc#, from a french IP.
I suppose that, technically, those of us in France ARE in Waterstone's "region" - at least as far as English-language books are concerned.

But the thing that really hurts here in France is the law that forbids discounting on books (well, up to 5% only). It's why Amazon.fr offers free shipping on all books. Even most "popular" books in France, published in what I consider a paperback format, cost 20€ or so.
Closed Thread