Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-04-2007, 09:43 PM   #91
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbaldwin View Post

The other thing I like about rtf is being able to specify the metadata, but I figure I can write something to update the cache.xml file for txt files with sensible author/title info parsed from the filename.

Ken
libprs500 already does this.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #92
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yah, but he's trying to avoid LRF, Kovid, for nefarious reasons of his own, no doubt.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2007, 11:15 PM   #93
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yes, the scale 1 and 2 sizes are ok. I'm currently using rtf for my ebooks, and I set the font to 16pt Ariel. I don't have any links, images, etc. But since rtf is a terrible format to manipulate programmatically, and I really hate Word, I'm considering going to txt. Text seems to be the "forgotten" format around here :-) Is anybody using it as their main file format on the Reader?

I really prefer the sans serif font to the serif font on the Reader screen though, and a larger default size. If there was some not-too-painful way to change the default font for text files, then I could use txt files and still get most of the benefit of rtf.

The other thing I like about rtf is being able to specify the metadata, but I figure I can write something to update the cache.xml file for txt files with sensible author/title info parsed from the filename.

Ken
Have you by any chance tried Pielrf? It's used to convert text files into LRF files. And you might find editing your text for use with Pielrf to be easier then using Word. I suggest you try that and see how it goes. There are also two other options. Libprs500 that includes html2lrf for converting html files to LRF and Book Designer. One of those three solutions should work well for editing your text files so they are much easier to read on the Reader.

Jon

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-04-2007 at 11:18 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:28 PM   #94
kenbaldwin
Connoisseur
kenbaldwin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Thanks for the suggestions, but for my purposes I don't really see the value of LRF or PDF. My formatting requirements are minimal, and I want an open format that I can easily parse, so my documents remain portable to other devices.

Ken
kenbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:22 AM   #95
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, but for my purposes I don't really see the value of LRF or PDF. My formatting requirements are minimal, and I want an open format that I can easily parse, so my documents remain portable to other devices.

Ken
Once you have it in HTML or Book Designer they can be made portable. HTML is easy to save back to plain text. So is the BD file. Also BD outputs in a number of different ebook formats. And HTML is fairly universal to load into some conversion program for some future device you might get after the Sony Reader. So to be honest, I don't see any reason not to convert to LRF. You can always get back to text format easily enough.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2007, 02:16 AM   #96
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Yah, but he's trying to avoid LRF, Kovid, for nefarious reasons of his own, no doubt.
Umm I meant it edits cache.xml when you change metadata and upload files to the reader, all files, even TXT.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:54 AM   #97
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ah, I see what you're saying now, Kovid, very handy. (apparently I was being kinda dense yesterday about a number of things, must have been a Monday ....)
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:00 AM   #98
fatvoodoo
fatvoodoo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Simplified Chinese Font Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by each View Post
To fix it:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10902
on #13

I already got a solution for Chinese support:
http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=361320
It is in Chinese, if you can't read, just check the pics there

My solution is:
Copy glyphs from Chinese fonts to the original tt0003m_.ttf and tt0011m_.ttf, then it does work perfect.

PS:
tt0003m_.ttf is used for file name, book title and BBeB viewer
tt0011m_.ttf is used for TXT

If the modified tt0003m_.ttf and tt0011m_.ttf totally are not more than 4MB in size, they could be flashed into Reader and get any language support for your Reader if you like.
Could you (or someone) help me to modify my fonts for Chinese support (simplified). I have the reflash completed, I just don't know how to "copy glyphs" and would like to have some step by step instructions. It would be a huge help. Thanks!
fatvoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:23 PM   #99
each
Connoisseur
each has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 650/iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatvoodoo View Post
Could you (or someone) help me to modify my fonts for Chinese support (simplified). I have the reflash completed, I just don't know how to "copy glyphs" and would like to have some step by step instructions. It would be a huge help. Thanks!

If you can read Chinese, check here: http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=361320

you will get a whole solution, supporting RTF, TXT and BBeB in Chinese and also, Chinese files name, book title etc.
each is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:12 AM   #100
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Hi guys. Was just wondering if any of you had the original firmware from the Reader. I'm being driven mad by this battery bug, and would like to go back to the original firmware. Is that possible?

Thanks!
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:37 AM   #101
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Try replacing just ebook.so, I'm pretty sure it's the culprit of the battery bug. Put it in /opt/sony/ebook/application/ on the card.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ebook.zip (35.9 KB, 487 views)
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:23 PM   #102
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Try replacing just ebook.so, I'm pretty sure it's the culprit of the battery bug. Put it in /opt/sony/ebook/application/ on the card.
Thanks or that. I put it in the folder in the card, in the "application" folder. Now what do I do next, to get that file into the Reader? Not too clear about it. First time using this Flasher. Thanks!

*Edit*

I did this part:

4) Press 5. Wait for the success message (the process will take about one to
two minutes).
5) Press 6. Wait for the success message.
6) Press 9 to reboot.
7) Extract the card.

-----

Hope I did the right thing! I will report back if this fixes the battery bug. I needed to charge my Reader anyway so this is a prime time to test this out! Thanks very much!

Last edited by WilliamG; 06-18-2007 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:44 PM   #103
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
You did it the correct way.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:55 PM   #104
WilliamG
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
You did it the correct way.
Ace! Thanks.

Now if it fixes the battery bug, you're my hero. Will report back if it does!
Old 06-18-2007, 06:04 PM   #105
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
A Non-Sony Upgrade Service?

As a TIVO owner I have learned that several persons/companies offer hacks/upgrades that include all labor for folks who are afraid of doing such themselves(For TIVO some changes require HW upgrades too). Perhaps someone might be interested in providing such a service to include LABOR for adding/changing font(s), fixing the battery bug and other COMING applications that use the universal flasher.

In the absence of such a service, if someone writes a Windows application that holds the user's hand and has lots of error checking,help and de-bricking options included for those of us who are "procedures challenged", even the most timid among us could use the likely many new appls using the universal flasher. "Shareware" perhaps?
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote