Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #76
jalandar
Connoisseur
jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, Asus TF300T
Sounds like the Archos 7 home tablet for ~$50 more when you take shipping and all into account, is still the better option. Much longer battery life (7hrs of video playback, so I imagine quite a bit longer for lesser tasks), 8GB internal storage, and a strong community who has hacked the marketplace onto previous Archos android products.

Or just wait for the Cruz Tablet later this summer.

Was kinda hoping the Eken would fare better. If it had 4hrs battery instead of 2, for instance, then maybe it would have worked nicely as an "interim" device while waiting for Velocity Micro to get the Cruz to market.
jalandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:31 PM   #77
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
This is the model I have my eye on:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/7-TabletPC-Google...#ht_7670wt_939

Rock 2805 chip, 600 MHz; 2 GB SD card included; 801.g wifi; Android 1.5; 720p HD video via Mpeg 4; 3000 MaV battery for 6 hr battery life; 7" multi-touch screen; USB and mains charger; with shipping around $250.

I wish I had confidence these can be upgrade to Android 2.1.

I think it may be the Moonse Tablet: http://www.redferret.net/?p=20327

Last edited by SensualPoet; 04-30-2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: link for Moonse
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2010, 10:33 PM   #78
jalandar
Connoisseur
jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I've been seeing the Ekens all over ebay now, the auctions for them going for between $90-100 mostly, with $30 shipping.

I think I'm going to go ahead and do my preorder on the Archos 7, it can be repurposed later when the Cruz Tablet comes out. I've been decently pleased with the couple of previous Archos media player products I've purchased, and been hanging out at the Archosfans forums recently, and that I'm less likely to risk disappointment by going ahead with it as an interim stand in for the Cruz. And having two devices never hurt anyone =)

Though I may watch some of those late night auctions, and if I see an Eken for ~$100 inc shipping, I may just impuslively snag one.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #79
gpstrucker
Wandering Geek
gpstrucker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gpstrucker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gpstrucker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gpstrucker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gpstrucker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gpstrucker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gpstrucker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gpstrucker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gpstrucker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gpstrucker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gpstrucker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300 Sony PRS-600
I have an Archos 5 IT and really like it, although the screen is a tad smaller than the OP wanted. It works quite well and I'll likely pick up a 7 at some point.
gpstrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:00 PM   #80
sudermatt
sudermatt began at the beginning.

Device: eken m001
If anyone is interested...I'm not trying to steal from this group...I just purchased the eken m001 and created a place to consolidate knowledge and experiences.

http://groups.google.com/group/ekenm001

Mods, I will understand if you remove....just trying to help out those with the the m001
sudermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #81
sudermatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
ok i got the orientation fixed. everything is working fine now
How did you get the orientation fixed?

This seems to be a common problem.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #82
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudermatt View Post
How did you get the orientation fixed?

This seems to be a common problem.
Did you read my post here? Fifteenth post with an image of the upside down app issue.

As Dullin explained it to me, "Aldiko comes with the " rotate when device is turned" ability turned off. turning this on fixes it.

The trick is that while its displayed upside down the spots to touch are still mapped right side up!

so when it opens you first have to get rid of the info display. click the space near the bottom of the screen which would correspond to the button if it was right way around.

then click the menu button.

then you have to click in the lower right of the display where the "settings" would be if everything were right-side up. then find the screen rotation setting and change it to rotate when the device is rotated.

after that everything works fine

I actually had to do this with fbreader too!"

The problem is not all apps can be corrected. I tested a simple solitaire app and it was upside down. Of course, you'd have to click in the opposite area on the screen to activate a card. No way to rotate the app and I've seen this with many others I've tested.

I'm curious if you have any of the other problems I listed.My contact said they've had o no one else with this problem. I'm still working on getting a refund.

Last edited by Katelyn; 05-03-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #83
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Thanks Katelyn for answerign that. sudermatt sorry i didnt get back to you sooner. Its a busy week.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #84
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
I don't mean to be pretentious, but have you tried to turn-off the accelerometer to see if it's affecting the upside-down orientation? The reason I suggest this is because I have a Windows touchscreen tablet and every now and then the accelerometer causes things to go a bit crazy. At those times I shut-off the auto rotating function and the problem is temporarily solved.

Also, have you tried to upgrade the OS (assuming an upgrade is available) to see if some problems are fixed?

I'm taking your problem quite seriously since I have ordered the Eken M001 through an ebay auction and am expecting to have the same problem when it arrives.

One other question... I have read that the USB/dock port is identical to Apple's port on the ipod and ipad. If so, do you think the loose connection problem might be corrected by trying a different cable?

thanks for your posts.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:40 AM   #85
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pphilipp View Post
I don't mean to be pretentious, but have you tried to turn-off the accelerometer to see if it's affecting the upside-down orientation? The reason I suggest this is because I have a Windows touchscreen tablet and every now and then the accelerometer causes things to go a bit crazy. At those times I shut-off the auto rotating function and the problem is temporarily solved.
I've looked through all the settings options and find no way to turn off the accelerometer. Maybe I just missed it but I don't think so. I also checked the manual and it says nothing about the accelerometer. Besides that, I think it you turn it off you'd still have this problem - only worse. As it is, the only reason Alkido and FBReader work now is that I have allowed the software to use the accelerometer and I'm actually viewing the programs upside down (the device is right-side up) The accelerometer is allowing the programs to flip 180 degrees.
Quote:
Also, have you tried to upgrade the OS (assuming an upgrade is available) to see if some problems are fixed?
I don't think there is an update available. I'm hoping that if the Eken device has this problem that they will supply an update.
Quote:
One other question... I have read that the USB/dock port is identical to Apple's port on the ipod and ipad. If so, do you think the loose connection problem might be corrected by trying a different cable?
Yes, it is identical to Apple's ports. I tried 4 different cables and finally found one that 1) locks in place and 2) is recognized by the device and PC. I really don't like that you can't charge the device via the USB. That sucks.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #86
sudermatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
Did you read my post here? Fifteenth post with an image of the upside down app issue.

As Dullin explained it to me, "Aldiko comes with the " rotate when device is turned" ability turned off. turning this on fixes it.

The trick is that while its displayed upside down the spots to touch are still mapped right side up!

so when it opens you first have to get rid of the info display. click the space near the bottom of the screen which would correspond to the button if it was right way around.

then click the menu button.

then you have to click in the lower right of the display where the "settings" would be if everything were right-side up. then find the screen rotation setting and change it to rotate when the device is rotated.

after that everything works fine

I actually had to do this with fbreader too!"

The problem is not all apps can be corrected. I tested a simple solitaire app and it was upside down. Of course, you'd have to click in the opposite area on the screen to activate a card. No way to rotate the app and I've seen this with many others I've tested.

I'm curious if you have any of the other problems I listed.My contact said they've had o no one else with this problem. I'm still working on getting a refund.
I did read your post....I was hoping Dulin found a more "elegant" solution. Not that yours isn't clever and inciteful

I'm very concerned about this....sounds like most of your apps are not behaving nicely. Since I bought mine on ebay, I doubt I will be able to return it.

I am tracking things over here:
http://groups.google.com/group/ekenm001

There are a few over on XDA-DEVs that are looking at the possibility to root this puppy.

Maybe that will help.

Any information on battery performance without WiFi on?
Old 05-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #87
sudermatt

I sent an email to everyone at ekengroup.com about the upside down issue....

I'll keep you posted
Old 05-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #88
Katelyn
Addict

Jeez, I wish I could communicate in Chinese! I have been in IM chats and via email with my Chinese CSR for days and it's like chiseling away at a mountain with a fountain pen.

The latest is is that she is now saying that the device does not support Android Marketplace apps and that's why everything is upside down. We've gone around and around about this since Marketplace is not supported by the M001 (M703 in my case). Then she said that 3rd party apps are not supported and will be upside down if installed. I told her that it's a MID for goodness sake and if they really want me to believe this, then I will need a refund. I also told her everyone will laugh at me when I pass this information on. Then she said no, no I did not understand. Me = fountain pen... her = mountain.

She said she would send me an email shortly and she also said she was also going to send me Android 1.6 to install. I asked if that is the same version I already have but got no reply. I keep asking her questions - as plainly as possible since I'm sure the communication problem goes both ways - but never get answers to the questions, just replies I don't comprehend.

Been an interesting couple of weeks. I may never get this resolved or a refund but it's sure been an interesting experiment!

Oh, I did email Eken and asked if they are aware of this problem and asked for advice and here is the reply I got 2 days later:

Dear New Friend,

thanks for your inquiry, could you send back us the attached documents ?
then, we send you rock bottom price with high quality ? thanks so much !

Last edited by Katelyn; 05-06-2010 at 08:59 AM. Reason: addendum
Old 05-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #89
jalandar
Connoisseur

Word is the Archos 7 8GB Home Tablet will ship normally in June, and starting in Mid-May for the Amazon pre-orders. Worth it for the extended battery life alone IMO, and will hold me over until the Cruz Tablet is on the market.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #90
jackie1974
jackie1974 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalandar View Post
Yeah, a bit out of my price range =)
i completely agree
jackie1974 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, tablet