Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2021, 02:02 PM   #76
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The new Kobo Sage has a quad-core processor. I don't know how they compare in speed. I would like to find out.
I'll compare them when I get my Sage.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:04 PM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Someone on the Reddit commented that navigating in the library, opening books and such was still as slow as on the older Kobos. So it seems the fault lies with Kobo for not optimizing their UI the way Amazon has.
But then someone on Reddit doctored a photo to show the light strip that the Forma has. So I'm not taking the word of someone on Reddit. I'd rather wait to find out from someone here.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2021, 02:05 PM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'll compare them when I get my Sage.
Thank you.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:17 PM   #79
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
But then someone on Reddit doctored a photo to show the light strip that the Forma has. So I'm not taking the word of someone on Reddit. I'd rather wait to find out from someone here.
Not the strip of the Forma, just a bright line on the side. The Forma was twin bands around a dark stripe
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:40 PM   #80
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
The new Kobo Sage has a quad-core processor. I don't know how they compare in speed. I would like to find out.
To be honest, the quad 1.8 does not accelerate that much the navigation, I'm a bit disappointed. The Oasis 3 also refreshes pictures faster.

The import is faster than the old processor Kobo used though. Maybe Kobo still need to improve / optimize their OS for the new processor.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2021, 03:40 PM   #81
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
To be honest, the quad 1.8 does not accelerate that much the navigation, I'm a bit disappointed. The Oasis 3 also refreshes pictures faster.

The import is faster than the old processor Kobo used though. Maybe Kobo still need to improve / optimize their OS for the new processor.
nice processor, it's a shame it only as 512MB RAM. take a look at post 81
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=342405&page=6

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:30 PM   #82
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
nice processor, it's a shame it only as 512MB RAM. take a look at post 81
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=342405&page=6

best wishes koboy
The Oasis is 512 MB too. And it's still pretty fast.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:44 PM   #83
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
The Oasis is 512 MB too. And it's still pretty fast.
considering my original 6" Kobo Aura N514 which was released in August 2013 as 256MB of RAM i'd expect the more expensive e-reader/devices of 2021 like the Kobo Sage and the Kindle Oasis 3 to have 1GB RAM by now. although to be fair if some or even many people are happy to buy these devices it's entirely their choice.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:06 PM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post

The Oasis could be faster at image import because it doesn't dither as well as Kobo so Kobo could be doing more processing when dithering.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:26 AM   #85
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
The Oasis could be faster at image import because it doesn't dither as well as Kobo so Kobo could be doing more processing when dithering.
Are you sure Kobo does the dithering when it imports? I notice that after I do an import, the home screen slowly updates images, which leads me to believe that dithering is done as needed?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:55 AM   #86
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It's irrelevant on a Libra as that's handled by the hardware, but, yes, it's done at runtime, and it's not great, but it's barely any better on Kindle anyway (still good enough for most of us, though). And the performance impact is null to negligible on either side.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-26-2021 at 06:59 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:07 AM   #87
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Except that Kobo doesn't generate any cover images during the import. They are generated on demand. The first time you do something that needs to show the cover image for a book will trigger generating them. Haven't you ever noticed the covers slowly being populated as you scroll through the book list?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:52 AM   #88
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Except that Kobo doesn't generate any cover images during the import. They are generated on demand. The first time you do something that needs to show the cover image for a book will trigger generating them. Haven't you ever noticed the covers slowly being populated as you scroll through the book list?
Yep. Whenever I side load books, I always check the list of books to see that the cover thumbnails have been created properly. I take that as verification that the book files have completed the transfer process and it's safe to unplug the reader.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:36 AM   #89
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Yep. Whenever I side load books, I always check the list of books to see that the cover thumbnails have been created properly. I take that as verification that the book files have completed the transfer process and it's safe to unplug the reader.
For the record, it is safe to unplug as soon as the OS has said it has ejected the device. The import doesn't start until after the device recognised that it has been ejected. The only reason not to unplug while the import is happening is to keep the battery charged.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:43 AM   #90
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Yes, I believe you. But I had some bad experiences with NOOKs that would get corrupted when they were disconnected too soon. It's made me over-careful.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote