Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #76
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil74 View Post
# Example for Glo/Aura:
replace_string = DBDC0D, `min-height: 70px;`, `min-height: 40px;`
replace_string = DBDC20, `max-height: 70px;`, `max-height: 40px;`
replace_string = DBDC3D, `footerMargin: 105;`, `footerMargin: 040;`
replace_string = DBDC58, `font-size: 16px;`, `font-size: 26px;`
replace_string = DBDC6A, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom:13px;`
replace_string = DBDC80, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top:-5px;`
That looks like slantybard's example for the H2O, it will be too big for the Aura. If you want your Aura to look like slantybard's H2O then try something like this:
Code:
replace_string = DBDC0D, `min-height: 70px;`, `min-height: 32px;`
replace_string = DBDC20, `max-height: 70px;`, `max-height: 32px;`
replace_string = DBDC3D, `footerMargin: 105;`, `footerMargin: 105;`
replace_string = DBDC58, `font-size: 16px;`, `font-size: 20px;`
replace_string = DBDC6A, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom:10px;`
replace_string = DBDC80, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top:-4px;`
Or see Jellby's example for the Aura.

But nothing has changed with the footer recently (apart from footerMargin, which does nothing), so if you use exactly the same values you had before the upgrade you should get exactly the same result after.

Last edited by GeoffR; 11-01-2014 at 08:06 AM. Reason: ... or see Jellby's example
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #77
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I thought there WERE instructions for mac users here!
Hope I don't understand you wrong, the instructions are in the patch files and the same for windows or mac,so you can edit,disable or enable them,then run the sh file to compile it.
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2014, 08:29 AM   #78
dedalos
dedalos began at the beginning.

Device: kobo GLO
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
That looks like slantybard's example for the H2O, it will be too big for the Aura. If you want your Aura to look like slantybard's H2O then try something like this:
Code:
replace_string = DBDC0D, `min-height: 70px;`, `min-height: 32px;`
replace_string = DBDC20, `max-height: 70px;`, `max-height: 32px;`
replace_string = DBDC3D, `footerMargin: 105;`, `footerMargin: 105;`
replace_string = DBDC58, `font-size: 16px;`, `font-size: 20px;`
replace_string = DBDC6A, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom:10px;`
replace_string = DBDC80, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top:-4px;`
Or see Jellby's example for the Aura.

But nothing has changed with the footer recently (apart from footerMargin, which does nothing), so if you use exactly the same values you had before the upgrade you should get exactly the same result after.
For aura hd is the same?
dedalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #79
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalos View Post
For aura hd is the same?
There are three different scales: One for AuraHD and H2O, another for Glo and Aura, another for Touch and Mini.

Edit: To be clearer: The AuraHD should use the same examples as the H2O. The Glo should use the same examples as the Aura.

Last edited by GeoffR; 11-01-2014 at 08:49 AM. Reason: To be clearer ...
Old 11-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #80
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
Hope I don't understand you wrong, the instructions are in the patch files and the same for windows or mac,so you can edit,disable or enable them,then run the sh file to compile it.
Niuck; my reply was for Neil74 who had said

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil74 View Post

Also anybody know how to run the patcher on a mac? No joy so far so I am having to use my work PC
I was merely pointing out that the instructions do show how to run the patcher on a mac.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #81
dedalos

It's a bit 'of time I'm looking for the best combination of values ​​for Aura hd because I want to prevent white spaces between text and footer without getting great results. Could you help me by recommending a combination that right? Thanks
Old 11-01-2014, 10:08 AM   #82
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
It's a bit 'of time I'm looking for the best combination of values ​​for Aura hd because I want to prevent white spaces between text and footer without getting great results. Could you help me by recommending a combination that right? Thanks
There are some other things that might be causing the white space:

- widows/orphans settings in the book can add one or two blank lines a the bottom of some pages. You can enable the `Fix page breaks bug` patch to get rid of these blank lines.

- The book might have a bottom page margin set, you can use the Modify Epub plugin in Calibre to remove the @page margins.

These values for the custom reading footer patch should give a very small footer on the AuraHD/H2O (it should be similar to Jellby's example for the Aura), if there is any white space with these values then it is caused by something other than the footer:
Code:
replace_string = DBDC3D, `footerMargin: 105;`, `footerMargin: 170;`
replace_string = DBDC6A, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom: 3px;`
replace_string = DBDC80, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top: 0px;`
#
replace_string = DBDC92, `/*font-family:none;*/`, `font-family: Georgia;`
Edit: One thing you can try as a test is to open the book in full-screen mode. Full-screen mode has no footer at all, so if you can't get the text to reach the bottom of the screen then there must be something else preventing it, either orphans/widows or page margin settings in the book.

Last edited by GeoffR; 11-01-2014 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Full-screen mode to test
Old 11-01-2014, 10:18 AM   #83
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Niuck; my reply was for Neil74 who had said

I was merely pointing out that the instructions do show how to run the patcher on a mac.
Oops, sorry
Old 11-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #84
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:

- widows/orphans settings in the book can add one or two blank lines a the bottom of some pages. You can enable the `Fix page breaks bug` patch to get rid of these blank lines.

- The book might have a bottom page margin set, you can use the Modify Epub plugin in Calibre to remove the @page margins.
I just wish that they (with they I ment ebook makers) take out all hardcoded margins,and let the device do this,all devices are capable of doing this perfect itself,but with every new book I buy, I still have to edit it because they want to give the epub exactly the same look as the book, with the footer patch we try to enable as much as possible space for txt but with a margin left and richt,upper and lower of 10 px it is like you are looking trough a window.

Dear GeoffR,may I ask again a question:
I have enabled the `Fix page breaks bug` patch, but in my Calibre settings for conversion there is still (in extra options .css) a rule with the following line: body {line-height: 1.2; widows: 1; orphans: 1;} because someone recommended it once in the past at conversion.
Can I remove this line when the `Fix page breaks bug` patch is enabled ??

Last edited by Nick_1964; 11-01-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #85
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
I have enabled the `Fix page breaks bug` patch, but in my Calibre settings for conversion there is still (in extra options .css) a rule with the following line: body {line-height: 1.2; widows: 1; orphans: 1;} because someone recommended it once in the past at conversion.
Can I remove this line when the `Fix page breaks bug` patch is enabled ??
Yes, with the `Fix page breaks bug` patch enabled the epub reader will ignore any orphans/widows settings in the book, and treat it as if orphans:1; widows:1; was set.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #86
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Yes, with the `Fix page breaks bug` patch enabled the epub reader will ignore any orphans/widows settings in the book, and treat it as if orphans:1; widows:1; was set.
Poor Orphans and Widows are all ignored now thank you for the clear explaining !
Old 11-01-2014, 11:53 AM   #87
dedalos

Quote:

These values for the custom reading footer patch should give a very small footer on the AuraHD/H2O (it should be similar to Jellby's example for the Aura), if there is any white space with these values then it is caused by something other than the footer:
Code:
replace_string = DBDC3D, `footerMargin: 105;`, `footerMargin: 170;`
replace_string = DBDC6A, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom: 3px;`
replace_string = DBDC80, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top: 0px;`
#
replace_string = DBDC92, `/*font-family:none;*/`, `font-family: Georgia;`
Edit: One thing you can try as a test is to open the book in full-screen mode. Full-screen mode has no footer at all, so if you can't get the text to reach the bottom of the screen then there must be something else preventing it, either orphans/widows or page margin settings in the book.
Where I can find the patch fix break page bug? In my libnickel file there isn't

Last edited by dedalos; 11-01-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:54 AM   #88
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I just wish that they (with they I ment ebook makers) take out all hardcoded margins,and let the device do this,all devices are capable of doing this perfect itself
I wish the bold part was true. But no, I have a Kobo which can change margins but not render in landscape, and a Cybook that can render in landscape but cannot change margins
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #89
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Where I can find the patch fix break page bug? In my libnickel file there isn't
The patch is devided in 3 parts.
The one u need is in the librmsdk.so.1.0.0.patch file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I wish the bold part was true. But no, I have a Kobo which can change margins but not render in landscape, and a Cybook that can render in landscape but cannot change margins
And both can't tell the story so you don't have to read it but you know what I mean
Never tried mine in landscape btw..

Last edited by Nick_1964; 11-01-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #90
dedalos

I must copy it in libnickel or I activate it where it stay with changing no with yes?

Last edited by dedalos; 11-01-2014 at 12:36 PM.