Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #76
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The white doesn't bother me. But of course there is no way to get rid of the BN recommendations (ADS) that fill half the screen. That is a kiss of death, for me. Yes, I paid the $20 to get rid of the ads on my PW1 and my PW2. $139 is well worth a quality piece of hardware.
Just keep your Nook Touch on the library screen, and you will never, ever see those recomendations again.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #77
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
They're the same price - $119 each.

If I were in the market for a new ereader (and I'm not), this one would be DOA because its white; I don't care how well it performed otherwise. A white bezel is the kiss of death.
Well i was talking about the ad-less one for 139. As for the white. I have a silver sony 350 and a black 650. Both are just as pleasing to the eye when reading on them. I think the whole white ruins the contrast thing is a bunch of mental bs. The white imo is sharp looking. I am sure black will emerge eventually. I very greatly doubt the white color will turn non-mobileread consumers off. This new nook looks sturdier than the rest. It has the cool rubber bumper.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #78
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Well I read the reviews, including the highly quoted negative one. I was disappointed that the new Nook did not have page turn buttons nor a SD slot. But, I visited my local Barnes and Noble and tried one out. I had also looked at a Paperwhite and a Kobo HD earlier, I was waiting to see if Barnes & Noble was going to release a new e-reader before making a purchase.

Now I own the Nook. The unit with it's two tone gray and white case is attractive as far as I'm concerned. I for one am tired of the tried and true black rectangle. I don't see fingerprints being an issue at all. My black Kobo Glow (which I like by the way) would have needed a wipe down twice already with the amount I have handled the new Nook and no finger prints at all. The contrast is great, the light is great, and it is extremely lite and easy to hold.

I can understand people being disappointed with the lack of a sd slot and the lack of page turn buttons, but then my Kobo doesn't have page turn buttons and neither does a Paperwhite, Kobo does have a sd slot.

In my opinion after trying all three, they are all good e-readers and Barnes and Noble's certainly has nothing to embarrassed about or ashamed of, it is a highly competitive unit. It's a damned good reader and you should look and handle one before being too quick to condemn it. I had an option to spend my money on any of the three, I picked the Nook and I did not have a problem with either Amazon or Kobo. I have purchased from both in the past and was satisfied with their products. I just liked the new Nook better than the others.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #79
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Can the light be turned off (like a Kobo) or is it always on (like a Kindle)?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
No hacks work on the PW2 yet, for the average user. Some of the electronic engineers are doing things with theirs, which involved opening the case, which I am not willing to do! But I am hopeful that at some point they will jailbreak so we can do a little hacking. I would like more margin control. I saw in one of the CNet videos that the new Nook can display text all the way to the edges. I wish my Kindle PW2 could do that.
Actually, your PW2 CAN display the text all the way to the edge of the screen. You have to use negative margins in the p class in CSS. for the PW2, -40px left and right are said to be good. On the Touch, -30px margins is good and I know that does work. There is a thread that has a sample ePub and a sample CSS.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...72#post2662072
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #81
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Can the light be turned off (like a Kobo) or is it always on (like a Kindle)?
Yes, it can be turned off, just like on the previous Glowlight.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #82
domani7
Enthusiast
domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
The paperwhite isnt an improvement imo and it costs more. Time will tell though. If the nook gets good reviews and better quality control, i will guess that people will forget about the lack of buttons and sd card slot. I find it funny that so many are complaining so vehemently about two things that kindle also does not have. No one has even tried the device yet and have already declared it doa. It has everything to offer that the current kindle does and imo its more pleasing to the eye than the standard tablet look that kindle always seems to use. A refreshing change i must say.
I am complaining vehemently because I'm disappointed. I am not comparing the new nook to the Kindles and Kobos. I LOVE the physical form of the Nook Simple Touch and the comfortable side page turn buttons are a major part of that. I am super disappointed with the new model.

Nook wasn't perfect... Mostly I take issue with how cumbersome the shelving is. I had some hope that maybe they could work on it in a new model. Maybe a slightly better screen. Maybe a smart cover, who knows. But this- this is the worst possible scenario. I did not expect this at all.
domani7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #83
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
One of my friend's daughter, who is away at college called. She went with friends to the mall there and looked at the Glowlight. The girls said it was "hot" and "sexy". So I guess others, beside myself, get sick of looking at black electronic items.

There was a line at their Barnes and Noble to buy the Glowlight. I told her to remind those that were buying, that the $15 Nook Simple cases would fit it also. She was the only one of the group that didn't buy one, but that was due to lack of money.

So maybe this will sell better than some think.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #84
myself11
Enthusiast
myself11 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST + Kindle PW2
There is no problem whatsoever in releasing a white model, diversity is always good. But why did they end with the black model? Makes no sense.
myself11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #85
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
Well I read the reviews, including the highly quoted negative one. I was disappointed that the new Nook did not have page turn buttons nor a SD slot. But, I visited my local Barnes and Noble and tried one out. I had also looked at a Paperwhite and a Kobo HD earlier, I was waiting to see if Barnes & Noble was going to release a new e-reader before making a purchase.

Now I own the Nook. The unit with it's two tone gray and white case is attractive as far as I'm concerned. I for one am tired of the tried and true black rectangle. I don't see fingerprints being an issue at all. My black Kobo Glow (which I like by the way) would have needed a wipe down twice already with the amount I have handled the new Nook and no finger prints at all. The contrast is great, the light is great, and it is extremely lite and easy to hold.

I can understand people being disappointed with the lack of a sd slot and the lack of page turn buttons, but then my Kobo doesn't have page turn buttons and neither does a Paperwhite, Kobo does have a sd slot.

In my opinion after trying all three, they are all good e-readers and Barnes and Noble's certainly has nothing to embarrassed about or ashamed of, it is a highly competitive unit. It's a damned good reader and you should look and handle one before being too quick to condemn it. I had an option to spend my money on any of the three, I picked the Nook and I did not have a problem with either Amazon or Kobo. I have purchased from both in the past and was satisfied with their products. I just liked the new Nook better than the others.
Well said. I am going to check it out now.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #86
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The old Glow didn't allow for auto turn-off either (at least mine never has) and in any event those magnets would be in the cover not the reader.
i just checked my aura hd and found that this is indeed true. there are no magnets in the aura hd itself. so the device activates/de-activates by sensing a change in the magnetic field. however, this is not true of all devices. on the ipad mini, for instance, there are at least two magnets embedded in the bezel. so when the opposing magnets on the front cover comes close to the second set of magnets, the magnetic field changes, triggering the change in state.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #87
Tony1988
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycurlylocks View Post
One of my friend's daughter, who is away at college called. She went with friends to the mall there and looked at the Glowlight. The girls said it was "hot" and "sexy". So I guess others, beside myself, get sick of looking at black electronic items.

There was a line at their Barnes and Noble to buy the Glowlight. I told her to remind those that were buying, that the $15 Nook Simple cases would fit it also. She was the only one of the group that didn't buy one, but that was due to lack of money.

So maybe this will sell better than some think.
I am sure it will. As i mentioned earlier most consumers are not going to be as nitpicky. White is fine for an ereader. The three things (color,sd slot and buttons) that many people here are downgrading it for are petty to say the least. They havent even tried it yet.That is whats so frustrating about this whole thread. They are forgetting about the 60% increase in resolution that so many always clamor for, and the much improved lighting. I am sure as long as there are not qc issues like kobo and kindle it will do well.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #88
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Perhaps it is childish, but I can't get past the white styling. I guess I just like basic black. Plus, I'm hardly in the market for a new reader, my Kobo Glo serves admirably -especially with the new Pocket upgrade!

The thing I can't understand is why eliminate the relatively inexpensive SDHC card slot and then continue to partition the onboard storage reserving so much for Nook content only... Seems a bit overboard. Do they really think people will buy it just for B&N sold content? People are getting more saavy after their initial tech purchases and starting to look for less restrictions on future devices.

Not to beat a dead horse, but why eliminate the black and ONLY produce it in white? I suppose cost?
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #89
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post

Thank you for this information. I like the looks. I am disappointed about the lack of SD card but I think I can work around it. I have never had an eink device. I started with my PDA, then moved to iPod touch, Nook Tablet and finally Nook HD+. I am tired of no battery life. I just want to read. I am going to check this out. About 90% of my books come from B&N anyway. All my books are backed up on my computer, so I should be fine.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #90
Tony1988
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by domani7 View Post
Nook wasn't perfect... Mostly I take issue with how cumbersome the shelving is. I had some hope that maybe they could work on it in a new model. Maybe a slightly better screen. Maybe a smart cover, who knows. But this- this is the worst possible scenario. I did not expect this at all.

Umm it does have a better screen. Much better than slightly. Perhaps you should check that fact out again. As for the buttons...? I dont know what to say, its a cost thing. They are disappearing on pretty much most smaller tech devices. You can do a few things to remedy that....get used to touch....buy a dozen nstgl......or buy a sony t3.