Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #76
obsessed2
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL6161 View Post
My EE arrived with Dingo 1.6 on board, and I went straight to Ermine with no ill effects aside from the insignificant Ermine bugs everyone else has noticed.
Thanks for the Info. I was hoping this was the case because generally any type of software update is best done before any user programs or files are added. Since this is the general discussion forum could you please head over to the Ermine forum and post some of the bugs you have seen on the PE. This would be helpful to other newbies (like myself) who don't even have our PEs yet. I expect to receive my PEs (yes I ordered two) later this week and I'm interested in knowing what I can look forward to when I do the upgrade. Also, if you have any pointers or any programs that you have seen work or not work that would also be appreciated. Thanks again.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #77
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy R View Post
PE ordered on 04/08. On my desk now charging. Am blown away by solid construction/feel.
You ordered even though you don't use your EE for work any more? Man, like I said, you guys are seriously tempting me. All the cool kids now have PEs, too!

Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #78
JL6161
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Thanks for the Info. I was hoping this was the case because generally any type of software update is best done before any user programs or files are added.
That was my feeling too, that a clean upgrade was the best approach.

Quote:
Since this is the general discussion forum could you please head over to the Ermine forum and post some of the bugs you have seen on the PE.
I have an EE (my impending PE arrives on Friday), but yes, I have already added bug reports over in the Ermine thread and will add any others I notice. Newbies like us are probably less likely to notice some bugs since we don't have previous Dingo experience to compare with Ermine.

Last edited by JL6161; 04-12-2011 at 08:47 PM.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #79
JL6161
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
You ordered even though you don't use your EE for work any more? Man, like I said, you guys are seriously tempting me. All the cool kids now have PEs, too!
Not to pile on more temptation, but apparently buy.com has some red PEs for $229.00.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #80
obsessed2
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL6161 View Post
Not to pile on more temptation, but apparently buy.com has some red PEs for $229.00.
Yes they do. I ordered one the other day. The NICE thing is they offer a 3-Year Square Warranty for $15.99 (according to the buy.com website it is highly rated by many external sources). For $32.99 they offer Accidental Handling protection in addition to the the Square Trade Warranty. If you are sitting on the fence and worried about the future of Entourage this is a good choice. Now they are even offering FREE shipping. Wow. Cost me $7 to ship. This is a NICE deal.

Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 12:49 AM   #81
GrumpyOldMan
Edge User

Well, I joined the club in light of the PE $199 deal from Amazon, adding to my collection of Dodo ebook readers (like my favourite iRex DR1000). So far the hardware seems a solid compromise, but not as good as separate products (but few screens for any device are up to the high standard of the nook color for example) I can't comment on the software since I've tried now for the 4th time to update to Ermine from a default device (except registration) and it just doesn't work... heading over to the other forum now.

BTW my order arrived the day after I received the shipping notice despite just regular shipping, so I assume WWD must be in the greater LA area (plus I had to pay taxes, so they must have in-state presence)

Last edited by GrumpyOldMan; 04-13-2011 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Typo

Old 04-13-2011, 01:50 AM   #82
Filark
Edge User

Welcome to the club, Grumpy! I hope you can figure out the Ermine download. I haven't done it on mine yet, so I am no help.

You may find (I did!) that the interconnectedness of the two screens is very nice, and pretty much makes up for not having the absolute best of either world. Let us know your experiences! I believe there are other former iRex devotees around.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:48 AM   #83
Dr. T
Edge User

Quote:
The temptation has worked on me... my PE is set to ship today or tomorrow.
C'mon Sarah... everybody who's anybody is buying a PE....

Old 04-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #84
birdspark
Edge User

Just a footnote to the main thrust of this discussion. When I spoke to tech support on a minor problem with my PE about a month ago I directly asked about a newer model of the PE being offered, and the techman said that a new model or models of these Entourage devices was in the works. If I was lied to purposely then my certainty that I will be buying this new hardware or using my existing PE drops to zero and I'll be investing in something else. I have to assume that stock clearence would be the first step in an offering of new eDGe devices for the uncertain future. I think that if the company was going bye-bye the Ermine update not would have been released. All of this is wishful thinking. This eDGe user community is vibrant and seems to be as devoted to these devices as I am with my Pocket eDGe. These devices seem to have users from the young post-Kindergardeners to the academicians to the various age groups of business and netbook type users. It would be rediculous for the developers to spend all this energy, only to find that this hint I received from the technician of future new models being in the works, it would be foolish for this information being shared with me to be a complete fabrication. I love my PE and would be very interested in a new, even more well-rounded PE model in the future.
I will remain loyal to my PE until I find out that they have made a fool out of me and my belief in the information given to me by multiple techreps that things are lumbering along in a positive direction.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #85
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. T View Post
The temptation has worked on me... my PE is set to ship today or tomorrow.
C'mon Sarah... everybody who's anybody is buying a PE....
Et tu, Dr. T?

Old 04-13-2011, 12:07 PM   #86
Dr. T
Edge User

Quote:
Et tu, Dr. T?
Three things put me over the edge (no pun intended)
1) The constant praise the PE has recieved
2) The HUGE price drop (~50%)
3) Upon visiting Amazon's website, it occurred to me that a PE was only about $50 more than a kindle with a LOT more functionality.

I must admit, however, that I would not have even considered it, but so many others on the Forum talked about what a great idea/price/product it was.... jerks

Old 04-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #87
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. T View Post
I must admit, however, that I would not have even considered it, but so many others on the Forum talked about what a great idea/price/product it was.... jerks
lol... agreed!

So, here's what's holding me back:
(if anyone wants to chime in, feel free)

a) I use the journal A LOT and I'm not convinced I could live with the smaller screen. The screen on the EE is about the right size for me.
b) It feels a little redundant having two of the same machine, different pretty much only by size. Yes, that means I'm more likely to have the PE on me but realistically, I don't really go anywhere. If I'm traveling, the EE is in my carryon anyway. I don't have a daily commute, and when I do run out for errands etc., I'm usually not doing much on the road. My MacBook Air is also a really light, carry around machine, so I have that option as well.
c) If the Asus Eee Note is going to cost about the same thing, but be lighter while having a screen size closer to EE than PE for writing (and supports a couple of those cheezy addictive games that is all I'm likely to need when I'm out), it might be more fun (and more practical, leveraging features) to have a different device.

So that's where I am. I don't deny that the PE, on its own, is superior to the EeeNote. But if I already have an EE, then I think the scales are tipped (based on my criteria) towards the Asus.

And, hey, with tech devices, the price can only go down as you wait (ie struggle with a decision), right?

Old 04-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #88
borisb
Edge User

Sarah -you seem to be viewing the PE as an alternative to the EE. It is by no means that! The PE should be viewed as a companion device that slips easily into a coat pocket (or in your case perhaps a purse) and is handy for quick notes, etc., on the go. The Journal on the PE is like a small detective's notebook compared to the EE's binder/notepad-like size. The PE is great for reading novels. Bottom line, for things like web browsing, email, music, light reading and quick notes, the PE is a lot smaller and convenient than the "luggable" EE; in other words, you're likely to have only one device with you at a time - the PE on the go, and the EE at your desk.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #89
twichy
Edge User

So the Pocket Edge is such a good product that I should buy one even though the company seems to be disintegrating as I type? And I'll probably have to rely on googling archived pages for technical support once this site goes dark? And if it ever really breaks it'll be my brick? Great! I just did it!

Seriously, it seems to me that the PE is precisely what I want (though the Color Nook's resolution is tempting), and now I can afford one. So my order's in at Amazon, thanks to you all: it's great to see a vibrant community like this one.

My personal problem is that I'm buying this a a reward for myself for 30 days of not smoking -- but I have 29 1/2 days to go. I suppose I'll be able to convince myself that I have to open the box and see if it works -- and if I can upgrade to ermine (assuming this site's still up) -- but then, back in the box it goes. Meanwhile, I'll be lurking.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #90
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by twichy View Post
So the Pocket Edge is such a good product that I should buy one even though the company seems to be disintegrating as I type?
Yup!

Quote:
And I'll probably have to rely on googling archived pages for technical support once this site goes dark?
We'll have moved over to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=218 where you'll get ongoing community support.

Quote:
And if it ever really breaks it'll be my brick?
Sad, but true. But how often does an EE/PE break on people? Not very often.