Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-05-2015, 07:23 AM   #76
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

The proposed Short Stories category, is that a single short story or a collection? Related question. Anthology: a published collection of writings (such as poems or short stories) by different authors (Merriam-Webster). I'm going to go with the assumption that Short Stories as a category would be a book containing a number of short works by a single author and representative of that author's work. So I will third it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I suspect (and of course I might be wrong) that any category which is split (such as fiction and non-fiction) will not be elected to the final 10 because the votes of its supporters will also be split.

I therefore humbly suggest that if someone is keen for a particular type, he try to merge it with a category already nominated, if possible.
Not exactly what category(ies) you are speaking of. Science Fiction vs Science to my mind are only related through both including the word science. Science Fiction is very much just fiction, the "science" is more "fantasy" than science, and the first is just telling a fictional tale while the other is educational. I'd say much the same about the Historical Fiction vs History category. How people will vote is another matter. I know that I will vote for Science, but not for Science Fiction.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:31 AM   #77
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
The proposed Short Stories category, is that a single short story or a collection? Related question. Anthology: a published collection of writings (such as poems or short stories) by different authors (Merriam-Webster). I'm going to go with the assumption that Short Stories as a category would be a book containing a number of short works by a single author and representative of that author's work. So I will third it....
Would you like to wait for a clarification from din155 before adding that third?

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 08-05-2015 at 08:10 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2015, 07:36 AM   #78
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Would you like to wait for a clarification from din155 before adding that third?

Yes, I suppose. A single short story seems like too short a read. Actually some clarification on Short Story Anthologies would be good as well even though it is already fully nominated. Multiple author only or just a collection of short stories that may be by a single author? One way or the other I'd like to see a collection of short stories by a single author as a potential category even if I have to be the first to nominate it.

Actually in an effort to avoid dispersing the vote I'd like it if Short Story Collection by a single author or multiple author could be a category replacing of Short Story Anthologies

Last edited by Hamlet53; 08-05-2015 at 08:07 AM. Reason: More to say
Old 08-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #79
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Actually in an effort to avoid dispersing the vote I'd like it if Short Story Collection by a single author or multiple author could be a category replacing of Short Story Anthologies
I would agree with that and would back the combined group with a nomination.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:41 AM   #80
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
One way or the other I'd like to see a collection of short stories by a single author as a potential category even if I have to be the first to nominate it.
I'm not interested in a short story anthology of different authors, if that's what the nominated category implies, but would back a short story collection of a single author if it's proposed.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #81
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm not interested in a short story anthology of different authors, if that's what the nominated category implies, but would back a short story collection of a single author if it's proposed.
I could see a place for either, though I admit I'm much more likely to vote for one that is by a single author. I'd suggest that we let the category itself be as broad as possible, and let the individual month's voting deal with the particulars. (Though I'm not at all sure that this category will even make it in to the final list.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:00 AM   #82
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I could see a place for either, though I admit I'm much more likely to vote for one that is by a single author. I'd suggest that we let the category itself be as broad as possible, and let the individual month's voting deal with the particulars. (Though I'm not at all sure that this category will even make it in to the final list.)
I'm fine with the broad category, also. It's all a carp shoot anyway - both what will make it to the final list and what will be nominated/selected.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:23 AM   #83
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I'll second both Food and Award Winners (Fiction).
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:44 AM   #84
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I'll third Award Winners (Fiction).
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:53 AM   #85
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I have combined Inspirational fiction (PandathePanda, kyteflyer) and Inspirational Stories [nonreligious] (sun surfer) under the combined heading Inspirational Stories (PandathePanda, kyteflyer, sun surfer).
Thanks Tom! If PandathePanda prefers something different I'll support whatever. Also, I'd like us to already have three but in the interest of fairness I don't think kyteflyer supported either inspirational category so we're still at two.

Last edited by sun surfer; 08-05-2015 at 11:58 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:13 PM   #86
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I think the intention is the same - books written in a modern setting and perhaps, but not necessarily, highlighting current social issues. Jon, would you agree that Modern Fiction and Contemporary Fiction are the same so that we can have three votes and advance the nomination?
I would agree that they are similar enough that we don't need both. The question comes as to which name do we want.

This is the definition I found for contemporary fiction...
Quote:
Most contemporary/literary fiction is also realistic meaning it has the following characteristics:

It contains characters that behave the way most readers would. The characters must be believable.

The story is set in the present.

The setting is a real place or at least seems like a real place.

The events are events that could happen in real life.

Dialogue is informal and conversational and often includes regional dialects.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:18 PM   #87
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Agreed. Is "The Old Man and the Sea" a classic? Certainly. But it's not in the Patricia Clark Memorial Library. OTOH, there are many books in the PCML that don't qualify as classics but that are certainly worth a read.

I'll second or third the PCML. (And Jon - reading a good book, wherever it comes from, is never a waste. )
If for some reason both win, I suggest that whatever is in the library is invalid for classics. Otherwise, it really will be like having two of the same categories.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #88
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I'd like to second Fan Fiction (I know theres a lot of dross in that category but some of it is surprisingly good) and Short Stories. No other nominations, seconds or thirds at this time. Most of my choices are already well covered.
Fan fiction is no good as they are based on other books that would need to have been read first. Can someone point out how this would work when it clearly won't work?
Old 08-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #89
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Pandathepanda, what are your thoughts on the inspirational categories? Were you going for Christian-themed or just any inspiring books? If we can come to an agreement on the parameters we could combine our two nominations...

(the categories are as is for now though, if anyone wants to second or third- who doesn't love a good inspiring story? )
I have to point out, that it would save a lot of hassle to leave out any religious based book. Religion is one topic we should not go there. Besides, we'd not be able to discuss the book as it would not be allowed in the Book Club forum. There is a forum for politics and religion and Book Club is not it.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:31 PM   #90
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I will third Sequential Art.
Sequential art is either pictures or comics. It's not something to just read. I don't see how it fits with the book club.