Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-13-2019, 08:23 PM   #76
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
Also bought it on cect-shop. Let's see

Some post back I posted it has a shitty processor, but now I am better informed I see thats not true. The processor is a snapdragon 439, and because being a snapdragon 4XX I thought it was worse than the snapdragon 625, the one in the Hisense A2 pro. And it should be like this, but less than 2 years ago Qualcomm released some new low-mid range CPU (429, 439 and 639) with some recent technologies, like the big.LITTLE and "artificial intelligence". That means the Hisense A5 will have a much more efficient power consmuption, using when idle and low computing demaning just a small part of the processors it has, and using all the full power when the systems demands it. It also includes some technologies and a 12nm fabrication process that, with all the specs of it, makes the snapdragon 439 faster than any other 4XX and at the same level of the 625.

The only bad point of the 439 is the transfer speed is limited to 150Mbps, while the ones of all the 6XX and higher are 300Mbps.

So its not a bad phone at the end, but it would be perfect with a sligthy better camera, because the processor could support it. At the end we are paying 225€ for the phone, and I am sure they are making real money with each unit
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:15 AM   #77
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Quote:
Originally Posted by eReader fan View Post
So its not a bad phone at the end, but it would be perfect with a sligthy better camera, because the processor could support it. At the end we are paying 225€ for the phone, and I am sure they are making real money with each unit
It would be preferable to have a reasonably good camera (though you can't exactly tell the quality of the photos very well from viewing them on the device). But in addition to this, unless I'm mistaken it also has a screen similar to the a2 which seems like the worst aspect of the phone. The reflective screen prevents undisturbed viewing of the content in certain environments, it's a mild nuisance and a strange addition to an eink device. It's a shame to see this included again on this eink only device, which you would never see on an ereader.

That said, the price of this phone and features wins out over the a6 for me marginally.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 12-14-2019 at 05:33 AM.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2019, 05:12 PM   #78
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Looks like they're sold out again on JD.com. Good to see that such a device is so popular.

I'm crossing my fingers that the CECT Shop was able to get their hands on a few phones and will be able to fulfill the orders they accepted... But I suspect it will be a while yet before I finally am able to hold one in my hands.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:29 PM   #79
Philju
Enthusiast
Philju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: none
Google Services on A5?

As for many other prospective buyers, the availability of Google Play for me is crucial. In the following product video

https://youtu.be/ZzfmvYWUwB4

the installation of Google services like Google Play and Google Maps on an A5 is clearly visible (e.g. at 1:34 and especially from 5:54 on).

I would be grateful if anybody could confirm by his/her own experience that Google services can be installed and run properly on this device.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Philju; 12-15-2019 at 05:01 AM.
Philju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:42 AM   #80
janbenes1
janbenes1 began at the beginning.

Device: HA2
No biometric no NFC -> no A5

I hope someone from Hisense reads this. I am a big fan of e-ink and hater of black active color displays.

But common. The promised price of the phone was 100 USD. Now it is over 200 Eur for a phone without fingerprint reader and NFC, which are standard at phones for 60 dollars? People be reasonable and do not buy it.

Jan
janbenes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2019, 08:14 PM   #81
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I have built a wiki page for the Hisense A5‎‎. I put as much in there as I could find. Add stuff as you find out more.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:46 PM   #82
cartz
Zealot
cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkpalm 5 Mini
Looks like movement from the CECT shop - DHL has received shipping information on my order.
cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:08 AM   #83
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartz View Post
Looks like movement from the CECT shop - DHL has received shipping information on my order.
The DHL tracking number I received from the Aliexpress seller still shows that the shipping information has been received... So I no longer put too much faith in tracking numbers until the product starts to move.

That said, the CECT Shop seems to be genuine so I expect that they will actually send you a device.

I expect mine will take a little longer as I ordered the white 64GB model which seems to still be out of stock. So long as it eventually materializes...
Old 12-16-2019, 09:32 AM   #84
skynet84
Enthusiast
skynet84 is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Seems this user has installed GOOGLE PLAY STORE on the A6L

https://twitter.com/shige_ruuu/statu...472289792?s=20
https://twitter.com/shige_ruuu/statu...948476416?s=20
https://twitter.com/shige_ruuu/statu...497124865?s=20

I asked him how he did it, but I didn't answer
What do you know think you about it?
skynet84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:11 AM   #85
Question Mark
Wizard

Just got an email from the CECT Shop. As expected, the model I ordered is sold out and they don't expect to get any new stock in before the 24th.

Although it is a little disappointing, at least I know what the situation is. That's the way to maintain customers: with clear lines of communication. Much preferable to being ignored or receiving fake tracking information.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:41 PM   #86
cartz
Zealot
cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkpalm 5 Mini
Mine has now shipped. Due 24 DEC.
cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:59 PM   #87
nystagmus
Connoisseur
nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Boox Max Lumi 2, Kobo Forma, Topjoy Butterfly E601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Just got an email from the CECT Shop. As expected, the model I ordered is sold out and they don't expect to get any new stock in before the 24th.

Although it is a little disappointing, at least I know what the situation is. That's the way to maintain customers: with clear lines of communication. Much preferable to being ignored or receiving fake tracking information.
Same here, I ordered the day after it was available.

I was resisting ordering on the first but I could not resist anymore thanks to this thread
nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:44 PM   #88
Villain
Enthusiast
Villain began at the beginning.

Device: Hisense A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nystagmus View Post
Same here, I ordered the day after it was available.

I was resisting ordering on the first but I could not resist anymore thanks to this thread
I ordere the minute it became available but no shipment yet. They replied to my email saying they did not recieve any A5 models with the last delivery, only A6. Next delivery on Dec 24 and they are not sure what models they will get either. That's a bit frustrating. Why make people pay for pre-orders when they don't know if they'll even get them or when that will be.
Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:24 PM   #89
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Is it possible to switch off the front light completely? I got different information about that topic.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:11 PM   #90
Villain
Enthusiast
Villain began at the beginning.

Device: Hisense A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Is it possible to switch off the front light completely? I got different information about that topic.
I certainly hope so or I wouldn't be able to use it. Now you made me doubt that :/ I heard it somewhere at the official presentation that "battery life depends on how much you use the front light" so I fugured it is switched off completely unless you decide to turn it on. It also looks like that in the videos that there is no backlight at all (but videos can be misleading). I asked CECT-SHOP that question and they said they would check it when they get the next delivery. I hope for no surprised cuz I've already oredered last week.
Villain is offline   Reply With Quote