Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-20-2020, 01:11 PM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
<i> just means "this is italic". You can change it, but that is still what it means. It is direct formatting, like clicking the "I" button in Word.

<em> means "this is emphasized". It's usually rendered by default in italics, and you can change it. It still means it's emphasized. You can make it look like the surrounding text. It still means it's emphasized, even if you can't see it. It is like applying a style in Word (with the italics property enabled by default).

Tex2002ans had a very good example of how they can be used differently:

Code:
<p>In <i>Book Title</i>, the character screamed: “Not in <em>my</em> neighborhood!”</p>
"Book Title" is in italics because it's a book title, it's not used for any kind of emphasis. One could also have used <span class="book_title">Book Title</span>. Animal and ship names are often set in italics, without any emphasis being implied.

"my" is in italics because it's emphasized. If you read it aloud you'd give it a special intonation.

They are two different things that by default look the same, but it doesn't mean they always have to look the same.
You would give the my a special intonation even if it was <i>my</i>. There is NO WAY to differentiate from <i> or <em> when you cannot see the code and both are italic.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-20-2020 at 01:15 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:28 PM   #77
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You would give the my a special intonation even if it was <i>my</i>. There is NO WAY to differentiate from <i> or <em> when you cannot see the code and both are italic.
Certain languages/books/styles use smallcaps as emphasis or extended letter-spacing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emphasis_(typography)

Different languages also use different symbols (see Chinese example in link above).

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 06-21-2020 at 02:19 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2020, 01:49 PM   #78
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Exactly! Which is why you may want to differentiate them in the code.

It seems you are assuming that the only purpose of the code is to make it look italic. It is not.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:56 PM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

It seems you are assuming that the only purpose of the code is to make it look italic. It is not.
But you do not use <em> for letter spacing, small caps, color, underline, etc. You use spans with a class.

Do you have an example of <em> being used other then to show italics where a span is not normally used?
Old 06-20-2020, 02:14 PM   #80
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Exactly.

Quote:
Do you have an example of <em> being used other then to show italics where a span is not normally used?
See 2017 post. See my examples above.
Advert
Old 06-20-2020, 02:20 PM   #81
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Exactly.

See 2017 post. See my examples above.
Link?
Old 06-20-2020, 02:30 PM   #82
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
But you do not use <em> for letter spacing, small caps, color, underline, etc. You use spans with a class.
You keep focusing on writing with intent to control rendering rather than writing to express, when rendering is supposed to be up to renderers and users of renderers.

Quote:
In a color enabled terminal, the text output HTML renderer lynx uses a different color to render text enclosed in <em></em>.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 03:19 PM   #83
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
Link?
Detailed links to 2017 thread just a few posts ago:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...68#post4001968

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
In a color enabled terminal, the text output HTML renderer lynx uses a different color to render text enclosed in <em></em>.
Thanks for another example.

Complete Side Note: I don't know... in my eyes, Lynx is looking more and more favorable by the day.

All these incessant "cookie popups" have driven me to get stricter and stricter with my blocking. (Few months ago wrote a Reddit post explaining how/what lists I use.)

Bloated/meaningless images on sites has led me block all images >30KBs (loadable on click if needed OR I can enable on a page-by-page basis).

But the absolute worst of the worst lately are auto-playing videos that scroll as you scroll down... Chrome/Firefox have been trying to introduce play-on-click, but so many of these sites implement videos in ways that don't follow those settings. (Don't know if those browser auto-playing settings work only on HTML5 <video> or what.)

I've also blocked all Javascript and whitelist on a site-by-site basis, but some of these disgusting videos still get through...

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 06-20-2020 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:14 PM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
You keep focusing on writing with intent to control rendering rather than writing to express, when rendering is supposed to be up to renderers and users of renderers.

This is not a good idea to have <em> be a different color with eInk.

It doesn't matter what the intent is if the output doesn't show differently. How many people are going to look at the code to see if you used <i> or <em> for the italics? Plus, I've seen a number of eBooks that used <em> for italics.

I've seen no examples of <em> doing something different other then be italic. And Lynx is not an eBook renderer.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:27 PM   #85
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Detailed links to 2017 thread just a few posts ago:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...68#post4001968

Thanks for another example.

Complete Side Note: I don't know... in my eyes, Lynx is looking more and more favorable by the day.

All these incessant "cookie popups" have driven me to get stricter and stricter with my blocking. (Few months ago wrote a Reddit post explaining how/what lists I use.)

Bloated/meaningless images on sites has led me block all images >30KBs (loadable on click if needed OR I can enable on a page-by-page basis).

But the absolute worst of the worst lately are auto-playing videos that scroll as you scroll down... Chrome/Firefox have been trying to introduce play-on-click, but so many of these sites implement videos in ways that don't follow those settings. (Don't know if those browser auto-playing settings work only on HTML5 <video> or what.)

I've also blocked all Javascript and whitelist on a site-by-site basis, but some of these disgusting videos still get through...
Don't laugh. I am now using Chromium Edge for mySAAS--I don't know WTH has happened with Chrome, but it slows so badly during the day I literally cannot use it--but I'm using Lynx for my personal browsing. I mean, sorry, websites, but I'm not a gerbil that needs to be constantly assaulted with videos, pretty colors, flying whatevers, banners, ads...enough!

I HATE those damn auto-playing videos!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:31 PM   #86
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Don't laugh. I am now using Chromium Edge for mySAAS--I don't know WTH has happened with Chrome, but it slows so badly during the day I literally cannot use it--but I'm using Lynx for my personal browsing. I mean, sorry, websites, but I'm not a gerbil that needs to be constantly assaulted with videos, pretty colors, flying whatevers, banners, ads...enough!

I HATE those damn auto-playing videos!

Hitch
Even worse is those auto-playing videos that when you are not focused on them, you get a little video show up on top of other content.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:38 PM   #87
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
It doesn't matter what the intent is if the output doesn't show differently. How many people are going to look at the code to see if you used <i> or <em> for the italics?
The intent is the entire point of having proper markup.

It's up to you to mark the INTENT properly:

"Is this a paragraph?"
"Is this italics or emphasis?"
"Is this a blockquote?"

then leave it up to the renderer to render it properly.

Also, it's really baffling... you are the same person who insists on cleaning up "Really bad CSS" and other dirty code like <div class="p"> to <p>... even insisting on removing "meaningless code" like <p class="indent"> and making them simple <p>.

Why not apply similar logic to <i>/<em>... and all the other HTML markup?

Quote:
I've seen no examples of <em> doing something different other then be italic.
Look at the Wikipedia article on emphasis. Asian languages do not have italics.

Quote:
And Lynx is not an eBook renderer.
It's an HTML renderer.

And whenever your questions do get answered, you shouldn't just change the goalposts, come up with one-sentence quips, then stick your fingers in your ears for 3 years and continue saying nobody has ever shown you any counterexamples...

Only ADE/RMSDK exist. Only <i> exists. Only bare <p> exist. Other languages‽ What's that? I only read English. Everything else is meaningless.

Quote:
Don't laugh. I am now using Chromium Edge for mySAAS--I don't know WTH has happened with Chrome, but it slows so badly during the day I literally cannot use it--but I'm using Lynx for my personal browsing.
I've been using Firefox forever.

I begrudgingly use Chrome in very few cases. What's bothering me is they are now turning into the new IE. Many sites are now working only in Chrome/Chromium, and sites are throwing standards out the window for the bleeding-edge proprietary "but it works in Chrome".

(And now Chrome has been trying cripple plugin functionality to kill off adblockers...)

Quote:
I mean, sorry, websites, but I'm not a gerbil that needs to be constantly assaulted with videos, pretty colors, flying whatevers, banners, ads...enough!
Yeah, I'm kind of reaching that point. I remember telling you when I implemented the image/font blocking... you told me to go full-on text-only with Lynx.

Those scrolling videos might just be my tipping point. At least on Desktop it's "bearable"... but on Mobile... mother of god...

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 06-20-2020 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 04:33 AM   #88
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Wordprocessor bells, whistles, features and bugs are irrelevant for discussing how XHTML+CSS in ebooks should/could look like.
In an absolute sense true. But if the aim is to automatically go from Wordprocessor source to ebook via a conversion tool (such as Calibre rather than Indesign or Sigil or Amazon something which are more like DTP for ebooks), then what you want is styles and characters that consistently convert to the same sensible XHTML+CSS.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:51 AM   #89
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
No, I do get what the difference between <i> and <em> is. I think I'd not use <em> much, but unless I can do wordprocessor source that causes <em>some text</em> to be created, there will only be <i>. Similarly with <b> and <strong>.

Unless I outsource final ebook creation to someone else. Then I suppose I can use a character style for <em> and one for <strong> and tell the ebook making guru what those mean. Not sure how I'd do that without different versions for each paragraph style. Some experimenting needed.

Of course the Interobang has never caught on. I've only seen it ever on the Internet in articles discussing it and in ONE book covering punctuation. I've not seen it in any ebook, or any printed novel ever.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 12:03 PM   #90
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
No, I do get what the difference between <i> and <em> is. I think I'd not use <em> much, but unless I can do wordprocessor source that causes <em>some text</em> to be created, there will only be <i>. Similarly with <b> and <strong>.
Yes, exactly. Speaking as a formatted, how the hell would I know which emphasized "i" text from Word is meant to be italics, and which are meant to be "emphasized" as in em? Jesus wept!

Quote:
Unless I outsource final ebook creation to someone else. Then I suppose I can use a character style for <em> and one for <strong> and tell the ebook making guru what those mean. Not sure how I'd do that without different versions for each paragraph style. Some experimenting needed.
AND, if that happens, if someone who actually uses Word correctly creates a named style, it will emerge from formatting as a p style or a span, and there endeth the problem.

Quote:
Of course the Interobang has never caught on. I've only seen it ever on the Internet in articles discussing it and in ONE book covering punctuation. I've not seen it in any ebook, or any printed novel ever.
And...in which fonts would we find that, she wondered‽ In my world, lads and ladies, if the character doesn't exist in fonts, it might as well be a Unicorn.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
semantic markup