Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #76
jian1
Banned
jian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toys

Device: Onyx Boox M92
How well does it support PDF comparing to Pocketbook? This thing seems to be very promising, eInk Pearl, and handwriting ability.
jian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #77
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
It does not have the easy column view read that PocketBook has but Onyx has a very easy to use selection zoom and pan.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 02:23 AM   #78
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Why the non wifi have a faster processor?
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:49 AM   #79
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
Why the non wifi have a faster processor?
Read back in the thread; this has already been answered. See post #55 and the few following it, a page or so back in the thread.

Last edited by HarryT; 04-11-2011 at 02:54 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:39 AM   #80
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
On the Booxusers forum there is an explanation why the M90 has the "old" 532 MHz processor: the new 800 MHz processor does not support the touchscreen very well. That probably also explains why the new 61 series with the new processor does not come with a touchscreen (yet).

Zetmolm - or any other technical expert - could you please be so kind to explain why a newer and faster processor doesn't work as well as the older model? I must admit, to me this sounds not very logically.
Thanks, and a link where I can read it myself will do.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 02:30 AM   #81
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
it would logically come down to something in the firmware needed to support the new faster CPU AND the touch layer in the same box. We take it for granted these days but not too long ago we all hunted for specific BIOS'es to run certain hardware (CPU, mice, etc.). Right now slate computing devices are at about the same maturity level in hitting that point where it is a given that everything will run with everything else hardware and software wise.

I doubt there is any existing standard interface for adding touch panels to a slate device be it an ereader or a slate PC.
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:59 AM   #82
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Zetmolm - or any other technical expert - could you please be so kind to explain why a newer and faster processor doesn't work as well as the older model? I must admit, to me this sounds not very logically.
Thanks, and a link where I can read it myself will do.
I'm not a technical expert, but this is what I understood: this new processor has built-in power management features that make it go to sleep whenever it's doing nothing for a short time. Whenever it is requested to do something it needs some wake-up time. When you push a button to make it do something you won't notice that part of the processing time of your request is just waking up. But apparently the product designers of Onyx found the lag that users would experience when using the touch screen unacceptable.

What I also read somewhere: Onyx is working on new readers with yet another processor. I would assume that they selected a processor that will work fine with a touchscreen. BTW, in these new readers they are planning on replacing the Wacom touchscreen (requiring a stylus) by the same technology that is used in the current Sony readers (based on infrared sensors). And they'll have Pearl screens. We should learn more about these readers in a matter of months.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:09 AM   #83
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Thank you very much for your explanations, grumpy3b and Zetmolm, that helps me a lot and sounds logically even to me.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #84
Onyx Europe
Distributor
Onyx Europe is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox M91S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Thank you very much for your explanations, grumpy3b and Zetmolm, that helps me a lot and sounds logically even to me.
On the frontpage onyx-boox.com I made a comparison between the Onyx Boox M-series products so you get a clear view what's the difference between the devices.
Onyx Europe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:28 AM   #85
Onyx Europe
Distributor

Here's a picture of a sample Onyx Boox m90 compared to the A60

Old 04-17-2011, 10:14 AM   #86
hansokumake
hansokumake will become famous soon enoughhansokumake will become famous soon enoughhansokumake will become famous soon enoughhansokumake will become famous soon enoughhansokumake will become famous soon enoughhansokumake will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Onyx M90 and Kindle DXG comparison: http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/5GuL4nbUJ1c/
hansokumake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #87
hakim
Connoisseur
hakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmos

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 840, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansokumake View Post
Onyx M90 and Kindle DXG comparison: http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/5GuL4nbUJ1c/
The chinese website doesn't load completely and the video doesn't play. Maybe you could upload that video to youtube or some other website that doesn't reside in china?
hakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #88
Onyx Europe
Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakim View Post
The chinese website doesn't load completely and the video doesn't play. Maybe you could upload that video to youtube or some other website that doesn't reside in china?
I've downloaded the movie and uploaded it to youtube.

Last edited by Onyx Europe; 04-17-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #89
Siedler
Siedler began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hmm in the video the page turn takes quite a long time. (at pos 3:00) when going from the front cover to the second page especially when you consider the very short moment the kindle needs. Will this be improved in the final release?
Siedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:21 AM   #90
Onyx Europe
Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siedler View Post
Hmm in the video the page turn takes quite a long time. (at pos 3:00) when going from the front cover to the second page especially when you consider the very short moment the kindle needs. Will this be improved in the final release?
I think the refresh time will be much better when the final version is ready.
It strikes me that the startup of the Kindle DX takes really long!

Tags
onyx boox, onyx boox m90