Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #76
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Nook color or K3, depending on your preference and pro/con on eink vs LCD.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #77
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortissimo View Post
Oh no... I've just decided to buy the 650. Is the contrast really bad?
No....No...Not "bad"..Just side by side comparison. I went with the Kindle...and again I would much rather have the Sony...If you buy the 650 I am absolutely sure you will enjoy it...(Just dont buy em both !!!)
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #78
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Are you sure it wasnt the sony 600 and not 650? The 600 did have a horrible screen. Thats not the case with 650
Naw it was a beautiful looking black 650...Even the cover with the light was GREAT...I have not been able to duplicate that 650 cover with the built in light..Kindle's doesn't compare...It just the font !!
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #79
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
ok, I will go to bed and kindle my Sony as I have a "hot" read waiting for me
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #80
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
ok, I will go to bed and kindle my Sony as I have a "hot" read waiting for me
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #81
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
totally correct, people don't have to take my word on it or yours. People go to their local best buy and view them side by side. And I guantree you no one will walk away saying the kindle is 50% better. NO ONE.

also it was only the first two updates that focused more on bug fixes, it's last three firmware upgrades on the nook have all been performance and feature enhancements. From faster page turning to the ability to create shelves etc. Darker text

the Kindle hardware is YEARS beyond. What you are referring to is their software. The Sony uses a full touch screen navigation tech, the nook fuses together touch screen lcd tech and eink tech.
The kindle uses outdated push button navigation controls. Akin to tech of the 1990's. There is nothing I mean NOTHING techinally advanced about the kindle's hardware.

Please enlighten me and tell me exactly what does the pearl sceen bring to the advanced technological table besides a better contrast ratio I would to hear it. I mean nook was able to achieve almost the same contrast by a simple upgrade. Again people can go judge for themselves in person.

So whatever your hatred is towards Barnes and Noble at least be honest in your posts.
I've compared the nook to the Kindle (2 and 3) and I walked away saying it was more than 50% better. I don't know how anyone actually buys the nook, to be honest, which is disappointing because I used to practically live in B&N. Anyway, I guess I'm nobody
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #82
brbubba
Connoisseur
brbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortissimo View Post
Well, I doubt I'll be doing much buying of books so I guess it's Calibre for me. From what I've read, Calibre seems to be quite user friendly. I'll be using a Windows 7 64-bit. I hope that doesn't change anything.
I wouldn't say super user friendly. It has a slight learning curve, but once you get the hang of it you'll love it. What iTunes is to my music, Calibre is to my ebooks. Also the RSS/News download feature is awesome. Loading up daily headlines to my PRS350 is incredible.
brbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #83
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2Be View Post
I've compared the nook to the Kindle (2 and 3) and I walked away saying it was more than 50% better. I don't know how anyone actually buys the nook, to be honest, which is disappointing because I used to practically live in B&N. Anyway, I guess I'm nobody
Yeah ithink the same in regards to why would people buy a kindle but then I remembered the power of sheep consumerism which too is disappointing see how I love amazons mp3 store.

Last edited by boswd; 01-18-2011 at 10:05 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:31 PM   #84
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah ithink the same in regards to why would people buy a kindle but then I remembred the power of sheep consumerism which too is disappointing see how I love amazons mp3 store.
Spell check is your friend. Baaaa.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:16 AM   #85
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Yeah ithink the same in regards to why would people buy a kindle but then I remembred the power of sheep consumerism which too is disappointing see how I love amazons mp3 store.
People chose the Kindle because it offers better selection, better customer service, more features, and better screen technology. I'm sure your Nook is quaint and all, but you seriously need to get over your Kindle hate.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:30 AM   #86
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
People chose the Kindle because it offers better selection, better customer service, more features, and better screen technology. I'm sure your Nook is quaint and all, but you seriously need to get over your Kindle hate.
Holy Crap an iphone and a Kindle ? Now that's following the herd but lets be honest here, most people buy the kindle is because they think they are buying the most popular.
It is, and kudos goes to their marketing department. But i'm sorry it's just not the best ereader. heck I would seriously buy a Kobo over a kindle. no ePub, Pearl screen is nice but not the second coming you kindle fans make it out to be, and kindle doesn't have any deal breaking features,

bottom line you bought it because you saw their commercials.

Last edited by boswd; 01-18-2011 at 10:01 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:35 AM   #87
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books

Quote:
Holy Crap an iphone and a Kinlde ? Now that's following the herd but lets be honest here, most people buy the kindle is because they think they are buying the most popular.
It is, and kudos goes to their marketing department. But i'm sorry it's just not the best ereader. heck I would seriously buy a Kobo over a kindle. no ePub, Pearl screen is nice but not the second coming you kindle fans make it out to be, and kindle doesn't have any deal breaking features,

That would be pretty amazing, considering we don't have cable. I haven't seen a commercial in years. I bought a Kindle because I researched and it was the best suited for my needs.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:43 AM   #88
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Probably not a fair assessment. It's conceivable that people do buy the Kindle because they enjoy Amazon, or preferred the graphite color, or liked it being a superior device on nearly every level, incidentally acknowledged by almost every tech review ever published- and he may have read one of those (though personally I am suspicious of reviewers; they're up to something I knows it). Or maybe he just liked the logo. Different strokes for different folks.

Personally I've never even seen a Kindle commercial. I don't have cable. edit: yay I'm not the only one.

Last edited by OtterBooks; 01-18-2011 at 02:50 AM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:48 AM   #89
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Go have a look, have a play with them, see what books you can buy then decide. It's your eyes, hands and reading habits not ours

All this flaming and fanboy rubbish is bullcrap IMHO!
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:54 AM   #90
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
All this flaming and fanboy rubbish is bullcrap IMHO!
Oh it's all in good fun. It's like people arguing over their favorite sports teams, which as it so happens are also corporations that couldn't care less about any of us.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote