Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #76
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But it is non-fiction and fits the subject for this month.
It's only the first part of a series.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #77
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
I'd be interested in Stiff..

Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex may also be of interest.

FWIW, I couldn't care less what motivates somebody else to read this book or that book. Maybe it's their most favorite ever that they've read a million times and want to share their enthusiasm with a new group of people. Maybe they read it once and didn't quite "get" it, and want to talk it over with somebody. Maybe they read it once in high school English, and want to give it another shot now that the stink of "education" is off of it. Maybe they want to read something new to them.

If you don't want to read something, don't nominate it or vote for it. Doesn't matter if it's because you've read it before, or are completely unfamiliar with it, or because you object to the overgratuitous use of the word "belgium".
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #78
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
PDQ Statistics

Can somebody nominate more than one? If so, I'd like to nominate PDQ Statistics by Geoffrey Norman. It's highly recommended by a colleague, and glancing through the "Look Inside this Book" feature on Amazon it seems like a pretty entertaining read for a math book.

Interestingly, not available directly for Kindle through Amazon. Don't know if the various formats/sources listed on Inkmesh could be converted???
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
It's only the first part of a series.
That's ok as long as it's not book 2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #80
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
Can somebody nominate more than one? If so, I'd like to nominate PDQ Statistics by Geoffrey Norman. It's highly recommended by a colleague, and glancing through the "Look Inside this Book" feature on Amazon it seems like a pretty entertaining read for a math book.

Interestingly, not available directly for Kindle through Amazon. Don't know if the various formats/sources listed on Inkmesh could be converted???
as was discussed last month you get three "strikes" either nominations or seconds or thirds.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2010, 04:15 PM   #81
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I nominated 'A History of Western Philosophy' by Bertrand Russell; but neglected to provide a synopsis.

Amazon.com's description is:
"First published in 1946, History of Western Philosophy went on to become the best-selling philosophy book of the twentieth century. A dazzlingly ambitious project, it remains unchallenged to this day as the ultimate introduction to Western philosophy. Providing a sophisticated overview of the ideas that have perplexed people from time immemorial, Russell's History of Western Philosophy offered a cogent précis of its subject. Of course this cannot be the only reason it ended up the best selling philosophy book of the twentieth century. Russell's book was 'long on wit, intelligence and curmudgeonly scepticism', as the New York Times noted, and it is this, coupled with the sheer brilliance of its scholarship, that has made Russell's History of Western Philosophy one of the most important philosophical works of all time."

Google Books has a preview version (some pages are omitted).

Last edited by Sparrow; 02-25-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #82
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
I nominated 'A History of Western Philosophy' by Bertrand Russell ...
Seconded.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #83
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My third and final vote goes to The Pluto Files by Neil deGrasse Tyson

The first book I read on my Kindle was Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries by Neil deGrasse Tyson. I enjoyed it so much that I'd like to nominate his latest book: The Pluto Files: The Rise and Fall of America's Favorite Planet.

As the most visible representative of those who led the charge to demote Pluto from its planetary status, Tyson is perhaps the only astrophysicist in history to receive hate mail from third-graders.

From the New Scientist review by by David Shiga:

Most fascinating about the book is what it reveals about the public's relationship with astronomy. While scientists seeking funding tend to emphasise the potential practical benefits of their work for fear that people will not otherwise support it, the planet controversy shows that there is intense public interest in what's out there in the solar system. No matter how distant or disconnected from daily life, planets are personal.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-25-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:59 PM   #84
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
I nominated 'A History of Western Philosophy' by Bertrand Russell
From the UK, this is $20 on Amazon, but I can't find it cheaper. Have you found it for sale anywhere else? It's a good book, but a bit punishingly long after GWTW (which I'm still hurrying through!)
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #85
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
I nominated 'A History of Western Philosophy' by Bertrand Russell; but neglected to provide a synopsis.

Amazon.com's description is:
"First published in 1946, History of Western Philosophy went on to become the best-selling philosophy book of the twentieth century. A dazzlingly ambitious project, it remains unchallenged to this day as the ultimate introduction to Western philosophy. Providing a sophisticated overview of the ideas that have perplexed people from time immemorial, Russell's History of Western Philosophy offered a cogent précis of its subject. Of course this cannot be the only reason it ended up the best selling philosophy book of the twentieth century. Russell's book was 'long on wit, intelligence and curmudgeonly scepticism', as the New York Times noted, and it is this, coupled with the sheer brilliance of its scholarship, that has made Russell's History of Western Philosophy one of the most important philosophical works of all time."

Google Books has a preview version (some pages are omitted).
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Seconded.
Thirded (if that's allowed).

The best book ever written (IMHO, of course). I read this at least once a year.

I, however, have never been able to find a full e-book version for sale - has anyone here?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #86
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Thirded (if that's allowed). ...
It's mandatory if the book is to be included in the voting.

Quote:
... I, however, have never been able to find a full e-book version for sale - has anyone here?
That may be a problem, I read it in paper.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #87
Sparrow
Wizard

Quote:
Thirded (if that's allowed).

The best book ever written (IMHO, of course). I read this at least once a year.

I, however, have never been able to find a full e-book version for sale - has anyone here?
Inkmesh lists a few options:
http://inkmesh.com/ebooks/history-of...and+Russell%22
Old 02-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #88
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
I think I have it in paper...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:14 PM   #89
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

When I nominated Quirkology (which has been seconded and thirded), I neglected to provide a synopsis. Here's the Product Description from Amazon:

An award-winning psychologist exposes the truth behind life's little oddities and absurdities in this quirky and practical guide to life.

For over twenty years, psychologist Professor Richard Wiseman has examined the quirky science of everyday life. In Quirkology, he navigates the backwaters of human behavior, discovering the tell-tale signs that give away a liar, the secret science behind speed-dating and personal ads, and what a person's sense of humor reveals about the innermost workings of their mind-- all along paying tribute to others who have carried out similarly weird and wonderful work. Wiseman's research has involved secretly observing people as they go about their daily business, conducting unusual experiments in art exhibitions and music concerts, and even staging fake séances in allegedly haunted buildings. With thousands of research subjects from all over the world, including enamored couples, unwitting pedestrians, and guileless dinner guests, Wiseman presents a fun, clever, and unexpected picture of the human mind.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-25-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #90
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm recommending any Ann Rule non-fiction book.

What I'm saying is this: If you nominate one of her books, I'll second the nomination.

I think she's a wonderful crime writer and, as someone who enjoys the incredible features of crock-pots and microwaves, in addtion to enjoying Grateful Dead bootlegs recorded on antiquated 8-track tapes - I think I'm uniquely qualified to comment upon the depths of human depravity, surely a useful feature for someone who wants to make comments in a Book Club.

Hmmmmm????

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-26-2010 at 06:35 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote