Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #76
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just added that to an ePub and there was no embedded fonts being used. And guess what, it worked perfectly on the 505. The italics were simulated. But no reboot. So what doesn't work that really doesn't work?
I was able to reproduce the reboot (and crash Reader Library on Windows) very simply by creating this small epub to test (created by Sigil, passes epubcheck 1.0.3). All I had to do was put it on the reader — not even attempt to open it — to put the PRS-900 into an infinite reboot loop.

The only difference between the selector-star and selector-p epubs is what the CSS rule is applied to... well, and the fat that the selector on p works just fine.

Interestingly enough, ADE on Windows doesn't share the problem with the Reader Library and displays both quite happily.
Attached Files
File Type: epub selector-star.epub (1.9 KB, 148 views)
File Type: epub selector-p.epub (1.9 KB, 151 views)
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #77
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Sigh. Things change. Some people always cling to the past. Some live there. The fact that LRF is dead is not due to Calibre or Sigil or anyone else other than Sony. Sony has even provided the conversion to epub ...simply a matter of downloading the new format. They also provide FREE upgrade for the 500 to anyone who wanted it. If you choose to live in the past, that's your decision.

I myself will continue to support Calibre and EPUB since that is clearly the standard and the future with Sony, B&N, Apple and many others behind it.
A conversion is *not* a replacement.
That is a replacement for LRX files, *not* a conversion of LRF.
Think about it.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 05:12 PM   #78
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
A conversion is *not* a replacement.
That is a replacement for LRX files, *not* a conversion of LRF.
Think about it.
Not really. They converted their store, their readers and all their book to epub.

LRX files can still exist so the ones that exist have not been "replaced" - they're just not making any more.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:46 PM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
I was able to reproduce the reboot (and crash Reader Library on Windows) very simply by creating this small epub to test (created by Sigil, passes epubcheck 1.0.3). All I had to do was put it on the reader — not even attempt to open it — to put the PRS-900 into an infinite reboot loop.

The only difference between the selector-star and selector-p epubs is what the CSS rule is applied to... well, and the fat that the selector on p works just fine.

Interestingly enough, ADE on Windows doesn't share the problem with the Reader Library and displays both quite happily.
I just tried both versions of selector and Reader Library did not crash. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit if that helps.

Yet another case of someone saying it does fail and I try it and it doesn't.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:08 PM   #80
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Not really. They converted their store, their readers and all their book to epub.

LRX files can still exist so the ones that exist have not been "replaced" - they're just not making any more.

Your assertion is not wholly proven.
Sony obtains its source documents in formats like OPF and has probably regenerated its ebooks from these source documents into EPUB format.
Thus, not converted, replaced.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 06:12 AM   #81
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Your assertion is not wholly proven.
Sony obtains its source documents in formats like OPF and has probably regenerated its ebooks from these source documents into EPUB format.
Thus, not converted, replaced.
No, but go ahead and believe what you want.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:25 AM   #82
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just tried both versions of selector and Reader Library did not crash. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit if that helps.

I'm running on Win XP, so that could account for the difference in the Reader Library. What about your PRS-505? I know it has a different version of Adobe software than the 505, so I'm curious.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #83
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
I'm running on Win XP, so that could account for the difference in the Reader Library. What about your PRS-505? I know it has a different version of Adobe software than the 505, so I'm curious.
My PRS-505 crashes on * selector.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #84
dmapr
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
My PRS-505 crashes on * selector.
Thanks. I am not really concerned about the Library software since I'm used to Windows software behaving unpredictably between different installations, but if JSWolf confirms that his PRS-505 works fine then I'll be left wondering...
Old 02-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #85
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I am going to continue to use "dead" BookDesigner to convert to "dead" LRF until I or my PRS-505 drop dead.

Actually BookDesigner has always been much better for LRF conversion than Calibre, especially from PDF. So do not complain, download BD and convert. You will be glad you made the switch.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #86
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
As long as I can convert my cucky formatted epub's into lrf's then I don't care about the who, why, what, how, or when of the situation (sorry, folks). When I first read this thing my stomach dropped outta my...feet
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #87
jnash
jnash began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700, HTC Here, and iPod Touch
Another Reason To Prefer LRF

I am very appreciative of Kovid's work on Calibre and my wife and I use it quite a bit. I have helped my wife create some HTML+CSS templates and Notepad++ macros which she uses nearly every week to create an ebook version of a Bible study weekly lesson that our church uses. She actually does it twice, once in Spanish and once in English. She creates both LRF and EPUB versions from a single HTML file using Calibre.

I recently got an HTC Hero Android phone and an iPod Touch which both require the EPUB format while my, and my father-inlaw's Sony eReader 700's will theoretically handle either.

I use fbReader on the HTC Hero and Stanza on the iPod Touch. She emails both versions to me and I download them individually to each device directly from GMail. The EPUB version works brilliantly on the HTC Hero and Stanza but there are big differences from between the LRF and EPUB versions on the eReader 700.

I have tried to attach one of the week's documents if anyone would like to see the differences. There are cosmetic differences that aren't really that important but there is a very big functional difference.

To be clear, I reported this difference on the Sigil bug site and learned that it is not an Sigil error so much as maybe "feature" of EPUB or perhaps the handling of EPUB on the Sony 700.

The documents we create make very heavy use of named anchors that allow the reader to jump from the text to a cited Bible verse and then return back to continue reading. I'm not sure if that extremely brief explanation is sufficient but if you look at these files you immediately see what I mean.

The fbReader and Stanza render the EPUB very nicely. When I select one of the named links in the text I jump to the destination. When I selected the carefully crafted named link there to return me back to the original location it works flawlessly. The LRF works exactly the same way on the Sony eReader.

The EPUB on the Sony, however, completely fails. Sometimes the links don't seem to work at all or are difficult to trigger. When they are triggered they jump to a position in the document other than the section of text that contains the named link.

The behavior is so far from the desired result that I consider the EPUB unusable in this scenario.

I am relatively confident that this has nothing to do with Sigil or Calibre but with Sony's rendering of the EPUB and I know none of us can do anything about that. I just wanted to point out that there are, in my opinion, compelling reasons to use the LRF format over EPUB.

If anyone has any ideas how this could be better handled I would love to discuss it separately. I could also provide an original HTML file that we use to generate the ebook files.

Lesson 2 - Sabbath School - 2010-01.epub

Lesson 2 - Sabbath School - 2010-01.lrf

-Jon

Last edited by jnash; 02-04-2010 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Attach files
jnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:15 AM   #88
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have read a number of book in ePub on my 505 that have endnotes and I have not seen a single issue regarding links. Plus, history back works well too.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #89
perversity
Enthusiast
perversity began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Yes, because if it works on your system it must work on everyone else's
perversity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #90
jnash
jnash began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700, HTC Here, and iPod Touch
Jon,

I agree that I have also seen EPUBs with end notes and they seemed to work well. What has troubled me is that fbReader and Stanza don't have a problem with my generated EPUB while the Sony does.

Would you be able to test and compare the two files that I attached? The nice thing about EPUB is that it can be easily edited in Sigil. If I am creating the problem by using some malformed HTML or CSS I haven't found it yet.

Thank you so much.
-Jon
jnash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lrf, right justify