Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-29-2007, 12:22 AM   #76
pitolee
Connoisseur
pitolee began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
In using the Universal Flasher - i am guessing that you only have to include the files you are actually changing?

My guess is that it creates an image by checking whatever is on the reader and adding/overwriting any files included in the SD Card?

So, if I wanted to change the LeftJoystick back to History instead of previous page all I would include is the new file with changes?
pitolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:52 AM   #77
likepotato
likepotato began at the beginning.

Bricked

Quote:
Originally Posted by each
Yeah, I tried to rename a Chinese font which is no more than 5MB to one of these three fonts, it doesn't work and bricked my ereader.
I am thinking the way you mentioned, can you tell me how to put chinese characters into one of these fonts?
I have similar problem. After I changed font,
tt0003m_.ttf for Swiss721 BT Roman => a Korean Font,
my reader was bricked. It keeps starting up forever. How can I fix it? Any idea? Please help me.
likepotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2007, 01:12 PM   #78
each
Connoisseur
each has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 650/iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by likepotato
I have similar problem. After I changed font,
tt0003m_.ttf for Swiss721 BT Roman => a Korean Font,
my reader was bricked. It keeps starting up forever. How can I fix it? Any idea? Please help me.
To fix it:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10902
on #13

I already got a solution for Chinese support:
http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=361320
It is in Chinese, if you can't read, just check the pics there

My solution is:
Copy glyphs from Chinese fonts to the original tt0003m_.ttf and tt0011m_.ttf, then it does work perfect.

PS:
tt0003m_.ttf is used for file name, book title and BBeB viewer
tt0011m_.ttf is used for TXT

If the modified tt0003m_.ttf and tt0011m_.ttf totally are not more than 4MB in size, they could be flashed into Reader and get any language support for your Reader if you like.
each is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:00 PM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by each
To fix it:
MY COLLECTION OF EBOOK RESOURCES
http://lunarwater.googlepages.com
Since you do know English, would it be possible to make your site have an English section? I can hardly understand it as it is now. it would help mot people on the forum too as I don't think most can read Chinese.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:26 PM   #80
each
Connoisseur
each has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 650/iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
Since you do know English, would it be possible to make your site have an English section? I can hardly understand it as it is now. it would help mot people on the forum too as I don't think most can read Chinese.
I would like to, but most of my collections are in Chinese (such as Chinese newspaper, they provide free PDF downloads for each paper issue). I think I should rename my site to "MY COLLECTION OF CHINESE EBOOK RESOURCES".

Anyway, I would post more in English for my site.
each is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2007, 05:15 AM   #81
Raventhon
Raventhon began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You could use your SONY reader as a card reader ;-)
How? I wasn't aware that this was possible.
Raventhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:27 AM   #82
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
If you put the card in the Reader, and connect the reader to your PC via USB cable, and fire up the ConnSoft, it'll let you drop files directly on the card -- I think that's what he's referring to. But I'm guessing that it won't be too attractive a solution to you.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:32 AM   #83
kenbaldwin
Connoisseur
kenbaldwin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Can I use this tool to change the default font for txt files? I want to set it to something like 16pt tt0003m_.ttf (Swis721 BT Roman). The factory default looks like 10pt tt0011m_.ttf (Dutch801 Rm BT Roman). Thanks

Ken
kenbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:52 AM   #84
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Several others have done so, Ken. There's a discussion of things to watch out for toward the beginning of the thread, but I think the main things are that you have to name the replacement font exactly the same thing as the original (both the font file name, and its internal name), and you have to replace it in both the Reader and ConnSoft's directories. I'd look back for the exact details, though, apparently it's picky.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:59 AM   #85
_darius
Enthusiast
_darius began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Thumbs up Thanx alot!

This is really great!

Thanks Igorsk for this great flasher
and thanx to diabloNL for his great xml- files!

I love to have the time displayed, and its great to
use the joystick to turn pages!

I love this forum!

Greetings from Switzerland
_darius
_darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #86
maggotb0y
Connoisseur
maggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
Is it possible to display next chapter's page?

I've been enjoying the patches here quite a bit (I even tweaked the joystick page flip so that "Up" will get me back to the last displayed page in case I accidentally press one of the page number buttons).

One thing I've wished I could do with the reader is have the page count display include the end of the chapter- or the 1st page of the next chapter. I do a lot of reading aloud to my kids from my reader and like to know how many pages I have to go so I can speed up if needed. Anyone think this is possible?
maggotb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:22 PM   #87
kenbaldwin
Connoisseur

Thanks, NatCh. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your reply, but I don't want to put a new font on the Reader. I just want to change which of the preinstalled fonts the Reader uses for text files...
Old 06-04-2007, 12:30 PM   #88
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbaldwin View Post
Thanks, NatCh. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your reply, but I don't want to put a new font on the Reader. I just want to change which of the preinstalled fonts the Reader uses for text files...
Oh! Nah, I misunderstood what you were asking. My bad.

I would assume that you could do that, but I don't think it's been specifically discussed. At a guess, you'd have to identify in the XML where it specifies the font it uses for TXT files and change it there. But you probably already figured that much.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:05 PM   #89
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbaldwin View Post
Can I use this tool to change the default font for txt files? I want to set it to something like 16pt tt0003m_.ttf (Swis721 BT Roman). The factory default looks like 10pt tt0011m_.ttf (Dutch801 Rm BT Roman). Thanks

Ken
When you read a text file, are not one of the other two font sizes suitable?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:18 PM   #90
kenbaldwin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When you read a text file, are not one of the other two font sizes suitable?
Yes, the scale 1 and 2 sizes are ok. I'm currently using rtf for my ebooks, and I set the font to 16pt Ariel. I don't have any links, images, etc. But since rtf is a terrible format to manipulate programmatically, and I really hate Word, I'm considering going to txt. Text seems to be the "forgotten" format around here :-) Is anybody using it as their main file format on the Reader?

I really prefer the sans serif font to the serif font on the Reader screen though, and a larger default size. If there was some not-too-painful way to change the default font for text files, then I could use txt files and still get most of the benefit of rtf.

The other thing I like about rtf is being able to specify the metadata, but I figure I can write something to update the cache.xml file for txt files with sensible author/title info parsed from the filename.

Ken