Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 11-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #76
Beau
Connoisseur
Beau doesn't litterBeau doesn't litter

Device: Sony 700, ipod Touch, iphone, Galaxy Tab
The very first post contains David's detailed instructions on how to do this. If you, like me, are unfamiliar with using command lines, you may also want to read through his explanations on pages 4-5 that he gave me.

Beau
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:45 AM   #77
Beau
Connoisseur

Sugar sync update:

I've been able to create the xml file needed, to access it in Stanza and get an accurate list. As soon as I try to download though, Stanza crashes. I suspect it is related to the sugar sync java based interface. If someone else is able to get it to work, I'd love to hear about it.

Beau
Advert
Old 11-28-2009, 09:50 AM   #78
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrazor View Post
Is there an entry with step by step instructions to set this up? I have dropbox and an ipodtouch and stanza so I would like to use it.
The very first post has all the instructions
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:30 AM   #79
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Beau: If you are using a PC to run Calibre you might also want to try using my Calibre2Web program. It should work fine in this environment as well and would give a you a heirarchically structured set of catalog files which you might prefer to use in Stanza.
Well, I tried using your program on my work PC to generate the catalogs, and then this week-end at home I accessed these catalogs from my iPhone, and it works great (almost on all catalogs, some of my collections are not working, and I don't know why..)

So, thanks for this tool, is there any way I can help with porting it to Python ? I'd love to see this done, so I can use it on every of my platforms...
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:29 AM   #80
vern
vern began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Until calibre or stanza straighten out the urlencode issues, here's my simple script to fix the urls on the stanza.xml file:
http://pastebin.com/m1dc17a20

to run, do:
# python thiscode.py path/to/stanza.xml

This just replaces the spaces and commas with url-encodes equivalents (but not the parenthesis, since stanza apparently doesn't like that)
vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 02:32 AM   #81
Beau
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
Until calibre or stanza straighten out the urlencode issues, here's my simple script to fix the urls on the stanza.xml file:

to run, do:

This just replaces the spaces and commas with url-encodes equivalents (but not the parenthesis, since stanza apparently doesn't like that)
For the less educated among us, do you run that before or after you generate the xml file? or is this in place of?

Beau
Old 12-02-2009, 04:22 AM   #82
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post

to run, do:

Great, thank you !

Beau, you must run the script after the stanza.xml is generated...
Old 12-03-2009, 06:33 AM   #83
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

I programmed a tool based on Calibre2Web that can be used on all platforms (Windows, Macs and Unixes) to generate the Stanza catalogs.

It has its own thread here... have a look !

Last edited by dpierron; 12-03-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:13 AM   #84
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
How would we do this with a private dropbox file. I don't feel comfortable putting my entire library in a public dropbox folder. Couldn't anyone find and download a book from that?
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:55 AM   #85
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

I'm pretty sure that anyone can access your public library, given your private (public, but only known to you) URL ; this URL contains a number that is unique to you, and is composed in a way that you decide. There is no way to obtain a listing of the files in your library, if the exact address (URL) of the catalog file is not known.

So, all in all, yes your library will be public ; but no, nobody will be able to access it, if you don't give away the address of your stanza.xml catalog.

Changing subject almost abruptly, I released a new version of my calibredbxtract tool, which adds support for generating authors, series and recent additions catalogs.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #86
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
So, all in all, yes your library will be public ; but no, nobody will be able to access it, if you don't give away the address of your stanza.xml catalog.
You can give it away to anyone running a packet sniffer on any of the servers your communication comes through, simply by accessing your library.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #87
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

Well, technically, that's true, and the security-concerned people would need to feel... well, let's say concerned

However, let's stay in the real world : I, personaly, am not afraid that someone would eavesdrop on my internet connection, and therefore finds out the address of my very private library...

First, it's only a library : I don't have any secrets stored encrypted deep inside any of my eBooks - except maybe Dan Brown's, but these secret can only be decrypted by the author

Then, if someone has the resources and the will to listen to my packets on my internet connection, then I will be afraid, because a lot of more important things are at stake here... But again, who are we to attract so much attention ?

So, to summarize : krystian is absolutely right, it is technically possible, if not easy, to listen to someone's communications and to guess the address of your private library ; but nobody would ever want to do that, in my humble opinion, and if someone would, what would on find that you wanted to hide ?

But anyway, it's an interesting point, and I'm going to research into the direction of private links with DropBox...

Cheers,
David.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #88
Beau
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
I'm pretty sure that anyone can access your public library, given your private (public, but only known to you) URL ; this URL contains a number that is unique to you, and is composed in a way that you decide. There is no way to obtain a listing of the files in your library, if the exact address (URL) of the catalog file is not known.

Changing subject almost abruptly, I released a new version of my calibredbxtract tool, which adds support for generating authors, series and recent additions catalogs.
Is there a fix in there for file names? I have spaces in all of them. Will I still need to figure out how to run the other script posted above?

Beau
Old 12-07-2009, 12:22 AM   #89
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Here's how I did it.

1. Move your calibre database to Public folder in dropbox. You can do this by opening up preferences and choosing a new folder location. This will take a while. Go make a cup of coffee and read a few chapters of a book.

2. Download the calibredbextract found on this thread. Extract the contents into a folder called "calibredbxtract" and place it somewhere. I put mine in the C:\Program Files\Calibre2.

3. Start up your MS DOS command prompt by going to Start -> Run and type "cmd" and press return. A black window will open with "C:\folder path\>_"

4. type cd c:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibredbextract\bin

Your MS DOS command prompt should say:

C:\Program files\Calibre2\calibredbextract\bin>_

5. type calibredbxtract.bat c:\data\dropbox\My Dropbox\Public\calibre_library\

where "c:\data\dropbox\My Dropbox\Public\calibre_library\" = the path to your public dropbox folder. I.e., mine is C:\Documents and Settings\Jane\My Dropbox\randomname\

6. This should generate the xml files into a folder called "_catalogs"

7. Go to your iPhone.

8. Tap "online catalog"

9. Tap the "+" in the lower right hand corner

10. Type in a name for your catalog (i.e., Dropbox Catalog)

11. for the URL type in the public link to the file named "catalog.xml" (you can get this by browsing to this file in your public folder -> calibre library -> _catalogs
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:04 AM   #90
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

da_jane: thanks for this excellent explanation ! I took the liberty of copying it to the tool's thread ; can I also copy it to the help forum on the tool's Sourceforge page ?