Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #76
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
...I'd rather have a pay as you go phone...
If your iPhone is Verizon and out of contract, just switch it over to PagePlus!
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #77
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
If your iPhone is Verizon and out of contract, just switch it over to PagePlus!
I'm in the UK, and in contract until August next year.

The point I was making is the iPhone as a phone is awful. I bought the iPhone for Internet access out and about, with a 3G ipad mini I don't need an iPhone as well so once a decent screen mini ipad is released I'll swap that for my iPhone.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #78
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Makes sense. Yeah, I hardly use my iPhone as a phone. I buy $10 of airtime and don't even use it up in the 4 months until I have to renew, but it's with me always.

3 days until my sister visits and I can do the side by side iPad mini vs. iPad 3 screen comparison.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:54 AM   #79
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd be interested in what you think, I have a ipad 3 plus the iPhone 5 which is why the screen on the mini just isn't good enough for me, especially for reading small fonts.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:27 AM   #80
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
3 days until my sister visits and I can do the side by side iPad mini vs. iPad 3 screen comparison.
Quote:
I'd be interested in what you think, I have a ipad 3 plus the iPhone 5 which is why the screen on the mini just isn't good enough for me, especially for reading small fonts.
If it helps either of you, I went from an iPod touch 4 to an iPad mini and haven't regretted it for a second. Much better battery life, bigger screen, and even being nearsighted, the pixel density's close enough to Retina for me. I really have to look closely to see individual pixels on the mini.

For me, the biggest drawback is that despite having plenty of pixels to work with, iPhone/iPod-only apps look like crap. I believe iOS is just looking at "is it a Retina display?" instead of "is the screen resolution high enough for the Retina graphics?" - which I hear may be getting fixed in iOS 7.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2013, 04:07 AM   #81
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The point I was making is the iPhone as a phone is awful.
I'd be interested to know what you don't like about it. I've had my iPhone 4 for over 3 years now, and I love it. The only reason I'll swap it will be when the battery finally becomes unable to hold a decent charge.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #82
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Personally, it's noticeable enough to me to be annoying. Seriously, I recommend playing with the Mini at an Apple store. That's what I did since without seeing for myself, it's hard to tell if the pixel density of the Mini would be good enough. Based on my experience with various devices, my personal minimum is around 200ppi.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #83
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Here in the U.S., shops have sprung up everywhere that will change the battery for only about $25. I love my iPhone 4 too, so that's probably the route I'll go when the battery dies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd be interested to know what you don't like about it. I've had my iPhone 4 for over 3 years now, and I love it. The only reason I'll swap it will be when the battery finally becomes unable to hold a decent charge.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #84
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Personally, it's noticeable enough to me to be annoying. Seriously, I recommend playing with the Mini at an Apple store. That's what I did since without seeing for myself, it's hard to tell if the pixel density of the Mini would be good enough. Based on my experience with various devices, my personal minimum is around 200ppi.
That's what I did, I've been back a few times plus a friend has one and I've tried to read one of my PDFs on it so I know exactly what I don't like about it.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #85
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It's just the phone element of the iPhone I don't like. The calls break up, hubby can't hear me properly, it takes ages to connect, i can never hear it ring in my bag (and yes its on ringtone and vibrate), i have problems with the screen switching to speakerphone and then back to keyboard, just generally the worst part of the iPhone is the actual phone. I only used the phone when I have to, I have 100s of minutes in my contract each month that I never use as I hate the phone. Everything else including texts is great just not the phone!
Old 07-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #86
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
If you stand 50 feet away from the mini, you won't notice the pixels at all.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #87
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It's just the phone element of the iPhone I don't like. The calls break up, hubby can't hear me properly, it takes ages to connect, i can never hear it ring in my bag (and yes its on ringtone and vibrate), i have problems with the screen switching to speakerphone and then back to keyboard, just generally the worst part of the iPhone is the actual phone. I only used the phone when I have to, I have 100s of minutes in my contract each month that I never use as I hate the phone. Everything else including texts is great just not the phone!
That doesn't sound right at all - have you contacted Apple about it? I have none of those issues with my iPhone 4.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #88
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
That doesn't sound right at all - have you contacted Apple about it? I have none of those issues with my iPhone 4.
I have none of them with my iPhone 5 either, it would be an annoying problem if I did though.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #89
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, they tested it and say there's nothing wrong with my phone. Unless Apple agree its an issue I can't do anything about it. They put it down to me not using it properly.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #90
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
If you stand 50 feet away from the mini, you won't notice the pixels at all.
At that distance, I probably won't notice the iPad Mini either (near sighted).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote