Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-14-2022, 07:16 AM   #76
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Hey @denisuu did you notice that in your Leaf2 boot log it mentions "KAMORTA"?
See also: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=155
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 03:24 PM   #77
denisuu
Zealot
denisuu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Onyx Leaf 2 (White)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I didn't think it meant anything so I didn't notice. I just saw in the Tab Ultra topic that it also identifies as KAMORTA.

This is what the bootlog on the Leaf 2 mentions:
Code:
S - QC_IMAGE_VERSION_STRING=BOOT.XF.4.1-00297-KAMORTALAZ-1
UEFI Ver    : 5.0.220414.BOOT.XF.4.1-00297-KAMORTALAZ-1
That looks interesting! I can't wait to try that one.

That loader isn't on the Github page of bkerler? If this would work for the Leaf 2 and maybe the Tab Ultra it might be worth committing it? Where does it even come from?

In this GitHub issue someone posted they had success with that loader. I didn't think to test it because I thought it wouldn't be for QCS_AGATTI. You probably already know that as you made the last post haha.

https://github.com/bkerler/edl/issue...ent-1020168112

Last edited by denisuu; 12-15-2022 at 02:33 AM.
denisuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2022, 02:13 AM   #78
makhan
makhan began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf2, Kindle Voyage
I received my Leaf2 a few days ago. I like the image quality and the flexibility of side-loading apks but I'm a bit frustrated by the slowness of the device. It's fine when in a reading app and just flipping pages, but it's very noticeable when doing more complex things, like managing files or navigating the Web.

I've also been struggling to set up my reader app of choice (Typhon, https://github.com/krukgit/typhon). The app works fine on its own, but it crashes when trying to open it with TTS files loaded in (after several days spent trying to copy 80'000 files onto the device). I believe the issue is with the lack of RAM. The app is likely trying to load all audio files (~730mb) into memory and the device is running out.

Has anyone had any success in increasing the amount of RAM on Onyx Boox devices? Perhaps creating a swap file on the SD card?
makhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 01:34 PM   #79
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No. I think that you're dealing with the same problem here as on the Tab Ultra.
Start reading here on about Post #9
Old 12-19-2022, 08:37 PM   #80
orangpelupa
Enthusiast
orangpelupa began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisuu View Post
Thanks for testing this! You didn't have to open your own device. I will test this after exams are over.
I opened an issue on the bkerler Github about the loader: Onyx Leaf 2 - QCS2290 (QCS_AGATTI)

I opened the device twice now. I would say it's quite unlikely you'd break the latches if you just go around the device a couple of times and make sure it's popped out everywhere. It's probably one of the easiest devices I've ever opened.
Does the left bezel only being held by glues?

My leaf2 left bezel is lifting a wee bit
orangpelupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2022, 04:20 AM   #81
denisuu
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangpelupa View Post
Does the left bezel only being held by glues?

My leaf2 left bezel is lifting a wee bit
No it's held together by plastic clips, no glue is used to seal the device.
Just out of curiosity is it the corner where the power-button is?
Old 12-23-2022, 08:24 PM   #82
orangpelupa
Enthusiast
orangpelupa began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
No it's held together by plastic clips, no glue is used to seal the device.
Just out of curiosity is it the corner where the power-button is?
When I hold Leaf2 with the page up/down button on the left side, the left bezel that touch the screen is lifting a wee bit in the middle

https://imgur.com/a/7qLQOPl

And yeah there are uneven panel gaps in a bunch of other places too, like near the speaker, near power button, near USB c port

Overall, Leaf2 felt like a prototype or a limited production run device with the usual early production groans.

A more mass produced devices usually got internal early production run where they weeded out these kind of issues, and the ones being sold to normal customers are the revised ones with more polish.

Last edited by orangpelupa; 12-23-2022 at 08:27 PM.
orangpelupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 01:20 AM   #83
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
When I hold Leaf2 with the page up/down button on the left side, the left bezel that touch the screen is lifting a wee bit in the middle

https://imgur.com/a/7qLQOPl

And yeah there are uneven panel gaps in a bunch of other places too, like near the speaker, near power button, near USB c port
This is what happens when the bezel is not glued - this is not possible with the black Leaf 2.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 11:00 AM   #84
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I don't see any build issues with my white leaf

My main complaint build wise is that the buttons are small, a bit too low profile, and are hard to press. And the speakers are tinny and don't get very loud, but that's one area that manufacturers usually short change
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 12:56 PM   #85
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Overall, Leaf2 felt like a prototype or a limited production run device with the usual early production groans.

A more mass produced devices usually got internal early production run where they weeded out these kind of issues, and the ones being sold to normal customers are the revised ones with more polish.
Onyx seem to revise their devices so frequently, is there such a thing as a non-prototype Boox? Slightly tongue in cheek..
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 01:55 AM   #86
innocenat
Zealot
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPW5, Quaderno A4, Supernote A6X, Leaf 2
I have no problem or complaint about the build quality of my Black Leaf 2.
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 05:01 AM   #87
denisuu
Zealot

Quote:
On my first unit the one corner around the power-button sticking out a bit and it was flexing a lot, also the plastic around the speaker-grill was bending outwards a bit. I sent that unit back and ordered a new one. (Pictures in the attachment)

My new unit doesn't have this problem, it's completely flush. Some might consider it nitpicking, but it was annoying me. The new unit I received yesterday doesn't have this issue, so I'm happy now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by popej View Post
Does Leaf2 support headphones?
I just tested a USB-C to AUX cable and can confirm it does support headphones. OTG keyboard and mouse also work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Speaking of speakers, how do the speakers on the leaf2 sound? Reasonably loud and deep, or cheap and tinny? Are they on the same level as the Kindle keyboard, if anyone remembers that one. I would use them for audio books and TTS. Thanks
To me personally the sound is cheap tiny and harsh. I don't think I would listen to audio-books on this device on speaker. From the post above I assume you did upgrade to the Leaf 2? What's your opinion on the speakers?
Old 12-25-2022, 06:35 AM   #88
denisuu
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I just tested that loader through your EDL tool and the one on GitHub.
It has exactly the same output as the loader for QCS_AGATTI ( 0014d0e100000000_1bebe3863a6781db_fhprg.bin)

Code:
[denisuu@BLOOGLET edl]$ md5sum Qualcomm_662_loader.elf
cd7a91985353e0a1a6d581b423e1325c  Qualcomm_662_loader.elf

[denisuu@BLOOGLET edl]$ python edl --loader=Qualcomm_662_loader.elf printgpt
Capstone library is missing (optional).
Keystone library is missing (optional).
Qualcomm Sahara / Firehose Client V3.60 (c) B.Kerler 2018-2022.
main - Using loader 0014d0e100000000_1bebe3863a6781db_fhprg.bin ...
main - Waiting for the device
main - Device detected :)
sahara - Protocol version: 2, Version supported: 1
main - Mode detected: sahara
sahara - 
------------------------
HWID:              0x001860e100000000 (MSM_ID:0x001860e1,OEM_ID:0x0000,MODEL_ID:0x0000)
Unknown CPU, please send log as issue to https://github.com/bkerler/edl
PK_HASH:     0xd40eee56f3194665574109a39267724ae7944134cd53cb767e293d3c40497955bc8a4519ff992b031fadc6355015ac87
Serial: [omitted]

sahara - Protocol version: 2, Version supported: 1
sahara - Uploading loader 0014d0e100000000_1bebe3863a6781db_fhprg.bin ...
sahara - 64-Bit mode detected.
sahara - Firehose mode detected, uploading...
sahara - Loader successfully uploaded.
main - Trying to connect to firehose loader ...
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: No --memory option set, we assume "eMMC" as default ..., if it fails, try using "--memory" with "UFS","NAND" or "spinor" instead !
DeviceClass - USBError(19, 'No such device (it may have been disconnected)')
firehose - TargetName=
firehose - MemoryName=eMMC
firehose - Version=
firehose - Trying to read first storage sector...
DeviceClass - USBError(19, 'No such device (it may have been disconnected)')
The product code for this device is also Bengal:
Code:
[denisuu@BLOOGLET ~]$ fastboot getvar product
product: bengal
Old 12-25-2022, 08:06 AM   #89
Renate
Wizard

Well, keep on looking for a loader. If your device is in fact not SecureBoot that opens up more possibilities as you can use a loader for your SoC that is signed by another manufacturer.

If you want to check a loader to see if it is complete/not corrupt you can use my http://www.temblast.com/qcomview.htm
Code:
C:\>qcomview /h mystery.bin
Old 12-25-2022, 10:57 AM   #90
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:

To me personally the sound is cheap tiny and harsh. I don't think I would listen to audio-books on this device on speaker. From the post above I assume you did upgrade to the Leaf 2? What's your opinion on the speakers?
Alas same as yours
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote