Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-16-2023, 09:48 AM   #8731
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a major issue with Jim's novella Warriorborn. It's available on Kindle Unlimited with DRM. That means a lot of people who do not use a Kindle can get it. If they need ePub, then it may not be available.

It should never have been put on Kindle Unlimited. It should also be available in ePub.

If I was to email Micheal Curry, would I be able to get it in ePub? The Questions About Jim or the Books FAQ is useless. It says all book should be available in Kindle format. It does not say they should all be available in ePub.

This (IMHO) is despicable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 11:55 AM   #8732
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have a major issue with Jim's novella Warriorborn. It's available on Kindle Unlimited with DRM. That means a lot of people who do not use a Kindle can get it. If they need ePub, then it may not be available.

It should never have been put on Kindle Unlimited. It should also be available in ePub.

If I was to email Micheal Curry, would I be able to get it in ePub? The Questions About Jim or the Books FAQ is useless. It says all book should be available in Kindle format. It does not say they should all be available in ePub.

This (IMHO) is despicable.
All KU books are available for sale, not just borrow. Just buy it, remove DRM and read it on your Kobo. There is very few people that care that much as they can either read on a phone or tablet, know how to remove DRM or have an ereader for Amazon and for epub.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2023, 01:27 PM   #8733
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
All KU books are available for sale, not just borrow. Just buy it, remove DRM and read it on your Kobo. There is very few people that care that much as they can either read on a phone or tablet, know how to remove DRM or have an ereader for Amazon and for epub.
I tend to think that people who own Kobos, want to read on a Kobo. And Many don't own multiple brands of ereaders. I would guess that they don't want to fiddle (strip DRM, change payment loacations, ...) or read on their phone/tablet. Looking at the UK Kobo store, Warriorborn isn't listed. So that seems like a relatively large number of eink users who won't bother with Warriorborn.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 02:02 PM   #8734
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Warriorborn is only available on Amazon because it's on Kindle Unlimited. The rest of the series is available in ePub. So people who bought the ePub versions and then want to get Warriorborn who do not strip DRM and convert won't be able to read it.

Not everyone has Kindle Readers or apps. Not everyone wants them. Not everyone strips DRM and converts. So those people who read the rest of the series are out-of-luck because it was made Amazon only.

So where's the ePub version?
Old 11-17-2023, 04:42 PM   #8735
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Warriorborn is only available on Amazon because it's on Kindle Unlimited. The rest of the series is available in ePub. So people who bought the ePub versions and then want to get Warriorborn who do not strip DRM and convert won't be able to read it.

Not everyone has Kindle Readers or apps. Not everyone wants them. Not everyone strips DRM and converts. So those people who read the rest of the series are out-of-luck because it was made Amazon only.

So where's the ePub version?
Yes, a tiny, insignificant minority of people that must have the ebook version won't be able to read it on an epub eink reader unless they are willing to format shift.
Advert
Old 11-17-2023, 07:46 PM   #8736
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, a tiny, insignificant minority of people that must have the ebook version won't be able to read it on an epub eink reader unless they are willing to format shift.
Personally, I would have purchased it if it easily format shifted. But I currently don't feel like installing new tools, or sure if it is possible. Maybe someday when there really is a must instead of a want.

Last edited by John F; 11-23-2023 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-23-2023, 09:18 AM   #8737
John F
Grand Sorcerer

I started The Olympian Affair. I'm just curious, but for the chapter titles when reading, the decorations around the chapter titles are 3 grey squares on each side of the chapter title. Is this what everyone sees? This is on a Kobo.
Old 11-23-2023, 09:21 AM   #8738
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I started The Olympian Affair. I'm just curious, but for the chapter titles when reading, the decorations around the chapter titles are 3 grey squares on each side of the chapter title. Is this what everyone sees? This is on a Kobo.
I see the same thing in ADE. It's not yet on my Kobo.
Old 11-23-2023, 09:23 AM   #8739
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Can you be sure it's a tiny insignificant minority of people? Do you have proof? Remember, the Kindle is not as popular outside the US as it in the US.
Old 11-24-2023, 01:35 AM   #8740
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Quote:
Yep, that's what my chapter titles look like on both my Kindle Eink reader and my windows 11 PC using the Kindle for PC app.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-11-23 220059.png
Views:	39
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	204882  
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 06:36 AM   #8741
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I see the same thing in ADE. It's not yet on my Kobo.
It seems like a change styling choice. My first reaction was that some glyphs were missing from some font(s).
Old 11-24-2023, 12:40 PM   #8742
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
The first book is exactly the same, at least on Amazon. While it may look nicer with images, I prefer the simpler approach with using the font. Advantages are when using non-white backgrounds or inverse/dark mode.
Old 11-24-2023, 01:01 PM   #8743
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Can you be sure it's a tiny insignificant minority of people? Do you have proof? Remember, the Kindle is not as popular outside the US as it in the US.
No, I cannot be sure. And neither can you be sure that the opposite is true. Think of it as a lost chapter from The Olympian Affair that got edited out (that is literally what it is). Putting it in KU allows it to generate revenue without charging. Free advertisement.
Old 11-24-2023, 02:27 PM   #8744
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
No, I cannot be sure. And neither can you be sure that the opposite is true. Think of it as a lost chapter from The Olympian Affair that got edited out (that is literally what it is). Putting it in KU allows it to generate revenue without charging. Free advertisement.
And pissed off fans.
Old 11-25-2023, 04:05 PM   #8745
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
And pissed off fans.
Unhappy, maybe, that it is an Amazon exclusive like The Law is. I looked and there isn't much of an uproar to be found. Novellas don't sell well, never have. So using a traditional publisher, even for a best selling author of novels, is not economical. Solution? Self publishing. Amazon only, especially also in KU, is a quick and easy way to do it.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy