Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #61
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Many thanks for all the replies. I think I will treat myself!

Is the front cover quite stiff underneath (in terms of protecting the Kindle Screen)? How secure is the Kindle with the elastic straps?
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:25 AM   #62
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
if there is, I damn sure need it... 4 different leather "devices" and yearning for more. oh! and 2 barettes!
Barettes? I almost signed you up for the Oberon Anonymous.

edit: Of course I'll join in.

Last edited by desertblues; 09-15-2010 at 08:46 AM. Reason: grammar, grammar, grammar
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #63
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecsi View Post
Anyone here with an existing Oberon cover - how flexible is the leather for folding it back behind the Kindle to read one handed?

I have a Kindle 3 with the Amazon standard cover and I find it a bit stiff to fold back though it seems to be loosening a bit with age.

I guess with the charm on the front that won't actually work very well as it can't get flat with that in the way.

I am struggling these days to hold the Kindle in a 'book like' fashion - with thumb in the spine area, as I have started getting RSI in both hands and my thumb joints are really painful.

Consequently I like to read one handed or with a flip cover - but these Oberon ones are soooooo pretty (particularly the Celtic one).
it folds back just fine, AND! you can slide your hand into the pocket behind where the Kindle attaches to hold it, AND you can use the left page turn button doing it this way! (note this is with the straps I don't know about the hooks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suecsi View Post
Many thanks for all the replies. I think I will treat myself!

Is the front cover quite stiff underneath (in terms of protecting the Kindle Screen)? How secure is the Kindle with the elastic straps?
very stiff, very secure! I have taken to sticking *important* things into the pocket on that side. the Kindle has never even wiggled let alone indicated any possibility of falling out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Barettes? I almost signed you up for the Oberon Anonymous.

eidit: Of course I'll join in.
totally guilty!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:46 AM   #64
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
I agree with kindlekitten here. The leather is nice & thick, and has a plastic sheet inside both sides to keep it stiff. The front cover has felt where it makes contact with the screen, so you're good there.

One thing I worried about before I got mine was impact resistance. So I bought one of the Belkin neoprene cases instead. I dropped my Kindle probably 4 ft. down onto asphault and of course it landed right on the bottom right corner. But I think the Belkin sleeve saved it from major damage. As it is, the aluminum back where the side seam comes together is a little bent now.

In retrospect, I think the Oberon case would have protected it even better, since the double layer of thick leather protrudes out past the edge of the Kindle.

I went with the straps because I also have a skin on my Kindle. If not for that, I would have surely gone with velcro, as it would hold it even more securely. Especially so with a K3, as then there will be no issues with straps overlapping buttons.

There is a video clip on Oberon's website that shows an employee shaking the hell out of one of their strap-in cases with a K2 in it and it holds great.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #65
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Oberon is no longer offering the Velcro option. The straps are very secure. I have been using one for coming on two years and my Kindle has never fallen out of the case.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #66
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Our 2 Oberons (blue dragonfly for me, red hummingbird for my wife) will arrive Monday. Til then, I'm paranoid about reading with my Kindle in bed. I lay on my side facing the outside of the bed. Several times I have dozed off and dropped a PB on the floor.

I've taken to putting a pillow on the floor where the Kindle would drop, but it hasn't happened yet. I'm hoping the Oberon cases will provide enough cushioning so I won't have to be so worried about this.

Is this a problem for anyone else?
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #67
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
I actually read naked. and my Kindle has fallen on the floor a few times, mostly I wake up either clutching it like a teddy or sometimes even on it. I have found that propping it on a small pillow while reading on my side both helps the whole comfort factor and also does take care of me falling asleep with it. it has its own little pillow.... (I can hear you guys laughing.... )
Old 09-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #68
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
Our 2 Oberons (blue dragonfly for me, red hummingbird for my wife) will arrive Monday. Til then, I'm paranoid about reading with my Kindle in bed. I lay on my side facing the outside of the bed. Several times I have dozed off and dropped a PB on the floor.

I've taken to putting a pillow on the floor where the Kindle would drop, but it hasn't happened yet. I'm hoping the Oberon cases will provide enough cushioning so I won't have to be so worried about this.

Is this a problem for anyone else?

The Oberon case would probably protect the Kindle in case of a fall from the bed to the carpet BUT if you have a reading light attached, it could land in a way that would put a twisting motion against the Kindle that could break the screen.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #69
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I can see how a pillow on the bed for the Kindle would help. However I have two complicating factors: 1) One of my cats spoons with me at night. He occupies the space the pillow would take. At times, I have two cats spooning with me. 2) We have hard wood floors. I think my best solution is a pillow on the floor.

I don't have a booklite attached to the Kindle. I use one of those led lights that you wear on your head and it works quite well. I have to can't the kindle at an angle so there's no glare and I'm happy reading that way.
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #70
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
I One of my cats spoons with me at night. He occupies the space the pillow would take. At times, I have two cats spooning with me.
I actually prop my Kindle against a cat quite often. Lori, the little one, doesn't like it, but Gus doesn't mind at all. It does tend to get cat hair on the black felt inside the Oberon cover, though.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #71
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
I just received my Van Gogh Sky in Marigold and it is every bit as beautiful as I was led to believe it would be.

I am going to treat myself to a sketchbook cover just as soon as I can.
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #72
Joerg_Mosthaf
Connoisseur
Joerg_Mosthaf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2i, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2010 View Post
They are beautiful. I ordered the Bold Celtic one in saddle for my new K3, despite already having the Amazon cover in black (which I really like, but it's lacking in that wow factor that the Oberon covers seem to have). The biggest problem for me was deciding between black and saddle, but I figured the hand-tooled design might be harder to see in black.
I have the Bold Celtic in black for my Kindle2 - and yes, the design is a bit hard to see. But I like it very much - it feels more subtle that way
For my Kindle3 I ordered the celtic hounds (which are more of a typical viking design as my swedish friend asserts) in wine. Really looking forward to that one. Hope it ships soon (pending for 5 days )
And I am sorely tempted to get the celtic spiral one as well - looks very nice in green - I think it looks like tarnished copper
Joerg_Mosthaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #73
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joerg_Mosthaf View Post
I have the Bold Celtic in black for my Kindle2 - and yes, the design is a bit hard to see. But I like it very much - it feels more subtle that way
For my Kindle3 I ordered the celtic hounds (which are more of a typical viking design as my swedish friend asserts) in wine. Really looking forward to that one. Hope it ships soon (pending for 5 days )
And I am sorely tempted to get the celtic spiral one as well - looks very nice in green - I think it looks like tarnished copper
I have the hounds in wine on my K2 . very nice!
Old 09-16-2010, 04:50 AM   #74
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
I actually prop my Kindle against a cat quite often. Lori, the little one, doesn't like it, but Gus doesn't mind at all. It does tend to get cat hair on the black felt inside the Oberon cover, though.
That's an idea. My cat Polly was too thin for the iPad, but she just might make it for the Kindle+red Wild Roses Oberon cover.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:48 AM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just cannot justify the cost of an Oberon Cover. It is nice, but it's way too expensive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote