Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 02:38 AM   #61
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
It's representative of the maze of options ePub now presents, thanks to DRM. This is also shown by the cuddly curved corners of the logo when viwed on the outside, compared to the brutally sharp edges on the interior.

I agree that this is not a logo incorporating the letters 'ePUB'. but a logo with the letters 'ePUB' stuck on as an afterthought to comply with the requirements of the competition.

However, as a pure logo it's not that bad. Easily recognisable. No-one outside the US is familiar with the Enron logo. (Well, I'm not.)

I think the delay in announcement was probably caused by needing to prepare the official downloads of the logo.

The green colour is, apparently, Pantone 376 for printing, or C 56%, M 0%, Y 100 %, K 0%.

The RGB values seem to be R 133, G 185, B 22 or #85B916. I suppose having a 'web-safe' colour is not really important any more.

Looking at the EPS file, the logo part of the logo is split into five equal sections. The corner radius is a bit odd. If you take the logo as being five units across, the corner radius is about 0.3865. I would have hoped that the corner radius was (say) 1/3 or 2/5 or 3/8 or some rational or exact decimal fraction of the width of the line. It doesn't appear that it is.

Still, it is now what we have. Time to start using it!

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-03-2010 at 02:56 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:31 AM   #62
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

Not on my computer.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 04:44 AM   #63
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
It is an okay logo.
Comments like "Even I can do that" can be applied to anything - anything is re-doable once it's been done. I think my painting skills would easily surpass those of this guy, and half the photos I take are better than this guy's.
Last night, my son doodled something on this letter I was composing that looked a bit like this.

The ebub logo is neat, works in all sizes, with or without the logotype.
The green reminds me of MS Lit, though.

Last edited by mores; 06-03-2010 at 04:54 AM.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:09 AM   #64
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
underwhelmed
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:04 AM   #65
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Maybe I'll take a page from the IDPF workbook, and start using the logo... in 2-3 years...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #66
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Not a overwhelming one but still finally a official logo. I will also start using it.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #67
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
It's a completely empty logo. It could be used exactly as is for a corporation's new filiale, for a public agency, for an amateur's website... It just says nothing, actually. Books are not supposed to be empty, and this logo conveys such an image. Perchance they will show the gallery of contestants so that we can see more and hopefully better ideas?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #68
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Perchance they will show the gallery of contestants so that we can see more and hopefully better ideas?
Too late for that now, I think... they've made their bed, now they can lie on it.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #69
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
It is an okay logo.
Comments like "Even I can do that" can be applied to anything - anything is re-doable once it's been done. I think my painting skills would easily surpass those of this guy, and half the photos I take are better than this guy's.
Last night, my son doodled something on this letter I was composing that looked a bit like this.

The ebub logo is neat, works in all sizes, with or without the logotype.
The green reminds me of MS Lit, though.
I think one of the problems is that there were most likely some legitimately good designs that were canned in favor of the winner, for whatever reason. Just imagine how many very competent designers felt after seeing the London Olympics logo.

The ePub logo is not bad for a typical project in a high school "intro to design" class, but it's really a substandard work for an international organization. Sadly, substandard wins a frightening amount of contests, despite some incredible talent right there. Not just armchair designers going "ehh, I could do better", but folks who earnestly compete and provide a superior entry, but for a number of reasons are excluded. In my experience on a panel, this sometimes comes from obvious non-designers pretending to be in touch with their imaginary audience. "I think this one will speak to the microcomputer terminal users out there by virtue of being geometric", says one, while the other says "Yes, and the green evokes radioactivity, which is popular with youth these days."

Of course, it's possible that all the competing entries were truly inferior. However, I find that a little hard to believe, even when talking about the organization responsible for ePub.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #70
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"Of course, it's possible that all the competing entries were truly inferior"

surely no excuse to accept ...
Old 06-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #71
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I think one of the problems is that there were most likely some legitimately good designs that were canned in favor of the winner, for whatever reason. Just imagine how many very competent designers felt after seeing the London Olympics logo.
Gaah!

I would like to hear the logic behind this choice, not to mention the artist's logic in creating it, to understand how it was considered the winning entry...

Ah, I take it back. I don't really wanna know. Color me Moving On.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #72
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Shall we have our own unofficial logo contest? Sure, it won't be official, but who cares about that if ours catches on instead?
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #73
nboshart
Connoisseur
nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Come on, folks, have you seen some of your avatars?
nboshart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #74
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nboshart View Post
Come on, folks, have you seen some of your avatars?

Precisely ....

What !

Wait .......

Old 06-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #75
GeoffC

Okay all.

What do we want to see as the epub logo, shapes/colours/style ... ?