Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-02-2015, 06:46 PM   #61
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Perhaps he believes Scalzi is part of group #3
In his genre he is a big seller.
His multimillion dollar contract was news, after all.
If there were hundreds of SF writers making that kind of money nobody would've noticed.

Again, remember the recent "discovery" by the Author's Guild that half its members would live in poverty if writing was their only source of income. This, while the publishers rake in billions through "creative" contract clauses.

For ever big bucks Scalzi or Preston standing up for tradpub and signing letters to the DOJ, there's a hundred just sucking it up and hoping their next book doesn't come out while their publisher is in a catfight with B&N (like S&S in 2013) or Amazon (like Hachette in 2014).

Seriously, who would volunteer for those deals if they had a choice?
As I said, either they're naive or they don't have a choice.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:55 PM   #62
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
There are more books out there, than anybody ever could read. There are not infinite books, but if we project in the future we maybe could say so. Fun fact about infinity: The crap inside a infinite list is infinite. But the good is infinit too
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2015, 04:22 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Baen is a tiny company, working in a small corner of a small market.
They put out maybe 50-60 new titles a year.
The randy penguin puts out well over 15,000 titles a year.

Baen is the very definition of outlier, both for readers and authors. They don't even operate out of NYC or London.

I would hardly set them up as an example of what tradpub *is* but I would (and do) hold them up as an example of what tradpub *should* be.
Small or not, they are, by any reasonable definition of the term, a "traditional publisher". I believe they form a clear counter-example to your assertion that no traditional publisher treats their authors well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:00 AM   #64
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
While certainly being no friend of the huge corporations that own most traditional publishers these days, I gave up my last attempt at reading a self-published book when I ran into the beautiful sentence:

"Advanced Physical Fitness was a right of passage for seniors at Bridgton High, [...]"

Yeah, rite.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:02 AM   #65
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
While certainly being no friend of the huge corporations that own most traditional publishers these days, I gave up my last attempt at reading a self-published book when I ran into the beautiful sentence:

"Advanced Physical Fitness was a right of passage for seniors at Bridgton High, [...]"

Yeah, rite.
Your sew rite!
Advert
Old 12-03-2015, 11:15 AM   #66
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Your sew rite!
You spelled 'sow' wrong.

Still, one missed homophone seems like a piddling reason to dismiss all self-published books. Certainly more egregious mistakes can be found in most trad paperbacks as well.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:23 AM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Still, one missed homophone seems like a piddling reason to dismiss all self-published books.
I don't think anyone's suggested that. I suspect that "rite of passage" is an expression that a lot of even well-read people would get wrong, because "rite" is a relatively unusual word that's rarely used except in that specific expression. There probably are people who genuinely believe it has to do with their "rights", as with expressions like "right of way" or "right to arm bears".

Last edited by HarryT; 12-03-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:06 PM   #68
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You spelled 'sow' wrong.

Still, one missed homophone seems like a piddling reason to dismiss all self-published books. Certainly more egregious mistakes can be found in most trad paperbacks as well.
Dunno. This isn't a typo but a mistake by someone who doesn't even know the meaning of the words he uses. It would have taken a very good book indeed for me to keep on going after that. Since it was a bit meh anyway, I just dropped it.

And of course I am not dismissing all self-published books; there are just so many books on my TBR pile, and the self-pubbed stuff has been moved so far back now that I will probably never get to any of it.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:50 PM   #69
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
My favorite goofy mistake from any book (trad- or self-pubbed) was the following sentence:

"The sound of gunfire lit the afternoon sky as they prepared to leave."

Tried to read that book (trad-pubbed, btw) several different times, but could never get past that sentence.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #70
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't think anyone's suggested that
Quote:
there are just so many books on my TBR pile, and the self-pubbed stuff has been moved so far back now that I will probably never get to any of it.
So that's effectively the same thing as giving up on them. Plus when you said

"I gave up my last attempt at reading a self-published book when I ran into the beautiful sentence:"

I wasn't sure if you meant 'last' as in 'most recent previous' or as in 'final.'

Old 12-03-2015, 03:16 PM   #71
ApK

Quote:
There probably are people who genuinely believe it has to do with their "rights", as with expressions like "right of way" or "right to arm bears".
Quote:
Dunno. This isn't a typo but a mistake by someone who doesn't even know the meaning of the words he uses. It would have taken a very good book indeed for me to keep on going after that. Since it was a bit meh anyway, I just dropped it.
I wasn't thinking it was a typo, I was thinking more that the author, consciously or unconsciously typed the wrong word, thinking, perhaps, as Harry says, or that he would type something like "All students have a right to take that class" and then he or an editor missed correcting it.

I often type the wrong "there|their|they're" as I'm drafting, not because I don't know which one to use, but because I sometimes type on autopilot, and then I immediately correct it.*

ApK

*or in the case of forum posts, chats and other extemporania, I don't correct it, and just look like I don't know the meaning of the words I use.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:15 PM   #72
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Yeah, the autopilot typing happens to me too, but if I published a book I want people to pay for I should really put in some effort to get rid of errors like that. Hell, I put in that effort in books I upload here and don't expect people to pay for...
Old 12-03-2015, 04:31 PM   #73
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Yes, books for public consumption should be proofread and edited.
Posts on a forum not so much.
Well unless it is can when one means can not.
Opposite meanings there.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:33 PM   #74
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
It's the kind of mistake that suggests the material was not edited or proofed by anyone other than the author who made the mistake. I don't know that one such mistake would stop me in my tracks, but it would make me wary.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:35 PM   #75
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
It's the kind of mistake that suggests the material was not edited or proofed by anyone other than the author who made the mistake. I don't know that one such mistake would stop me in my tracks, but it would make me wary.
It makes me wonder how many mistakes the reader had already found and was that one just the last straw.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote