Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-19-2016, 08:45 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I realize that this is damn near necro-posting, but I wanted to let you all know that I just took possession of the Matias Ergo Pro (for PC). I'll let you all know what I think when I'm more accustomed to it. I love the feel of the keys, and my peeps love how quiet it is. I'm still getting used to the idea that my kb breaks in the middle! :-)

I wanted to thank everyone here for the help.

Hitch
I love my Microsoft "Natural Keyboard". That's also a "split in the middle" one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:07 PM   #62
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I love my Microsoft "Natural Keyboard". That's also a "split in the middle" one.
Is it? I had an MS ergo, but it wasn't split. I find the "falling off the edge of the [keyboard] cliff" sensation to be quite odd. ;-) Thus far, that is.

I will say--for those of us who are bangin' touch typists, the home keys (f & j) are a skosh hard to "feel." They are not very raised.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2016, 12:17 PM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Is it? I had an MS ergo, but it wasn't split. I find the "falling off the edge of the [keyboard] cliff" sensation to be quite odd. ;-) Thus far, that is.

I will say--for those of us who are bangin' touch typists, the home keys (f & j) are a skosh hard to "feel." They are not very raised.

Hitch
I've got one of these. Love it!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Er.../dp/B00EO4NN5C
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:27 PM   #64
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I had a MS ergo of one kind or the other, just last year. Unfortunately, the Queen of Savaging Keyboards wore the letters off in...wait for it...6 weeks. Didn't even make it two months. In fact...I think I made a comment about it, pehaps even on this thread? I was horrified to see that the e and the...r?...were already starting to wear off in a few weeks, and were completely gone in month-and-a-half. So...bye-bye MS, bye-bye Logitech. Hello ridiculously expensive keyboard. :-)

Hitch
Old 02-19-2016, 06:02 PM   #65
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I just bought the Ivation 2.4 GHz Wireless Blue LED Letter Illuminated Computer Keyboard from Amazon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	51j0TEjSptL.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	146509

It arrived 10 days ago and I'm already set to return it because the keys don't light up. It was meant as a replacement for the keyboard that came stock with my PC, but on which the spacebar just went belly-up.

So I just ordered the Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800 for roughly twice the price. I hope this one works properly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	81lncrYVhfL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	146508
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2016, 06:09 PM   #66
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
And I just sent three Northgate 102 keyboards in for repair and refurbishment. Leaving me with two working ones, and three more to send in when I get these back. Clickitty, clickitty, clack.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:22 PM   #67
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I just bought the Ivation 2.4 GHz Wireless Blue LED Letter Illuminated Computer Keyboard from Amazon.
<el snippage>

It arrived 10 days ago and I'm already set to return it because the keys don't light up. It was meant as a replacement for the keyboard that came stock with my PC, but on which the spacebar just went belly-up.

So I just ordered the Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800 for roughly twice the price. I hope this one works properly.

<mo' snippage>
I can't type on straight ones any longer. I have enough hand issues, without forcing them into that, these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
And I just sent three Northgate 102 keyboards in for repair and refurbishment. Leaving me with two working ones, and three more to send in when I get these back. Clickity, clickity, clack.
Ah, Charlie--hey, y'know, if it works for you, why not? I wish my old paws agreed with the (good lord) ancient kb's we still have here, with their lovely etched lettering...ah....BANGETY-BANG-BANG-BANG!!

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 03-16-2016 at 09:37 PM. Reason: my quoted text was bollixed.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:01 PM   #68
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

How Do I Hate Thee, Matis Ergo Pro? Let me count the ways...

Holy mother of crap.

I don't think I can ever--ever--remember loathing a keyboard like I do this one. I've lost track of the number of hours of work I've now lost, repeatedly. Do I know WHY? NO. I DO NOT. Apparently, some random combination of keys that I occasionally hit dumps me right OUT of work I'm doing, in SAAS (Software Apps As Service, like Freshbooks, Teamwork, Desk, et al).

You cannot, for the life of you, feel the damn home keys. I called them, seething about this, and they thought it was FUNNY, because on the older versions, allegedly, people bitched that the bump was too sharp, and that they were cutting their damn fingers. What a load of bollocks. I now have to LOOK, every time my fingers wander from the home keys. I don't have calluses, or anything else, on my fingers, that would have made me less able to feel the bumps than anyone else. In fact, in my fam, I'm called "The Princess" due to the Princess and the Pea tale--I'm constantly irritated by something in the sheets, or this or that. But my overly-sensitive skin can't feel these home keys well enough to not stray. I cannot tell you--literally, cannot--how many times now in the past few weeks I've typed an entire paragraph with my fingers in the wrong keys. AACCKK! I just typed this last sentence wrong--wrong bloody keys. (I've had to turn on spellcheck. That's how grim my typing is now.)

There's no manual. NONE. You don't know what does what. You have to sit there, like a booby, trying keystroke combos, to find out WHY you just lost an hour of work, because you got dumped out.

I will also say: if you use print-screen often, do NOT buy this keypad. I do, and I was stupid. You have to hit func+[, to get Print screen. That drives me nuts. Yes, it's a matter of retraining the muscle memory, but...

The Control keys are in odd positions. On the right-hand kb, the CTRL key is ABOVE, to the left-edge of, the space bar. And, as many of you know, there's no number pad. Not really. You can num-lock (FN+6) your way through a faux number pad on the jkl (1-2-3) uio (4-5-6) 789 (appearing as themselves) keys. I purchased a Kinesis number pad, but that drops off the USB every time the computer sleeps/hibernates. SUCH fun.

For reasons that utterly elude me, these dolts put "undo, cut, copy and paste" on the left-hand keyboard, at the left-most edge. WHY???? What the frack for?

My fondest desire now is to make a decently competent decision about a replacement (screw it, I'll just buy 4-6 keyboards instead, for the same damn amount of money, and when they wear out, toss 'em). THEN, I'm going to make a video of my deepest desire: to go out in the yard with this cursed thing and smash it to bits, then pour something inflammable on it, and LIGHT IT. I hope Matias thinks THAT is funny, too, when I put it on Youtube, Google+, Vimeo...if I plan ahead, I can take it up to the National Forest that's half a mile north of my house, and I can SHOOT IT to pieces. Now, that sounds like fun.

URGHGHG.

P.S.: yes, it's quiet-ish. That's the one good thing. And the lettering won't wear off, before I shoot the holy motherloving s**t out of it.
Hitch
Old 03-16-2016, 10:41 PM   #69
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Hey, Hitch, you can use nail polish to improve the bumps on the home keys. Might drop the blood pressure a notch or two.-)
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:01 PM   #70
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
Hey, Hitch, you can use nail polish to improve the bumps on the home keys. Might drop the blood pressure a notch or two.-)
Hi, arjaybe:

Yes. That's the only thing I can think of that might keep me from completely popping my gourd sometime soon. I don't think I've tried that previously, but, hey--how much WORSE could it be??? Even if I screwed it up?

Hitch
Old 03-17-2016, 04:04 AM   #71
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Any chance a keyboard remapping program might help? See https://sharpkeys.codeplex.com for one such tool.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:14 AM   #72
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
There's no manual. NONE. You don't know what does what. You have to sit there, like a booby, trying keystroke combos, to find out WHY you just lost an hour of work, because you got dumped out.

I will also say: if you use print-screen often, do NOT buy this keypad. I do, and I was stupid. You have to hit func+[, to get Print screen. That drives me nuts. Yes, it's a matter of retraining the muscle memory, but...
This page:

http://matias.ca/ergopro/pc/

has a link on the side pointing to the manual:

http://matias.ca/ergopro/pc/manual

Not a good manual, but it did explain Num/Scroll Lock, Print Screen, (and a handful of other Function combinations). It DOES look like a butt-ugly document that could have been whipped up in Notepad though.

As to why it boots you out, no idea what keys you are pushing. I am going to take a wild guess and say it is the "Contextual Menu": Fn+Alt? You might just be able to use an AutoHotKey script to disable that crap (and also you could use that to remap a lot of those alternate functions to fit your own personal usage better).

Quote:
I don't think I can ever--ever--remember loathing a keyboard like I do this one.
That is how I feel about most Laptop keyboards (and a reason why I don't use/like "Ergonomic" keyboards). :P

I was typing on a laptop recently, and the STUPID layout had a very tiny Enter + Right Shift button, and the arrow keys were squished in half-size form underneath the Enter key. Now THAT design is absurdity.

I didn't get the model of the laptop, but it looked like something along these lines (although the Enter key was also absolutely fudged up):

http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/18790.jpg

Quote:
I purchased a Kinesis number pad, but that drops off the USB every time the computer sleeps/hibernates. SUCH fun.
Hmmm, never had it happen to me, but I have heard it through the grapevine with USB devices. Could be a Windows problem with turning off the power to USB ports while suspending:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...sb-problem.htm

Also, any specific reason you Suspend/Hibernate? I have never found the need to do that on a desktop, ever. It is more of laptop functionality to reserve power.

Quote:
For reasons that utterly elude me, these dolts put "undo, cut, copy and paste" on the left-hand keyboard, at the left-most edge. WHY???? What the frack for?
Probably what most people would say about all of the function keys (most people have NEVER pushed F1-F12 in their lives).

You could again, just always remap those keys... just as if you wanted to remap any of the "useless" F# keys.

Probably could just use AutoHotKey to override those Cut/Paste keys into something more useful (like Print Screen, Page Up/Down).

Quote:
You cannot, for the life of you, feel the damn home keys.
Hmmm, can't say I ever actually used the bump on the home keys (besides when I first learned to type). I actually forgot those things even existed!

If my fingers ever go off by one (what typically happens when I use those dastardly laptop keyboards), then I instantly see my output is off. One quick look down and I shift my fingers back home (slight annoyance)... but I suspect that sort of problem is multiplied ten-fold with those angled ergonomic keyboards.

Side Note: I just took a look down at my keyboard and it looks like mine has a little "underscore" looking bump. Can't say I ever felt it before... but now that I you have pointed out that it exists, I will probably feel it all the time. Thanks "The Princess and the Pea"!

Quote:
P.S.: yes, it's quiet-ish. That's the one good thing. And the lettering won't wear off, before I shoot the holy motherloving s**t out of it.
You see? Best keyboard ever! Now when are we switching to DVORAK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Any chance a keyboard remapping program might help? See https://sharpkeys.codeplex.com for one such tool.
That specific remapper can't handle this:

Quote:
Map multiple key presses to one key - e.g. it will not support an attempt to remap Ctrl+C to the F5 key
which I believe is one if the most important functionalities needed (especially on a keyboard with less keys than a full-sized keyboard).

I believe Hitch already uses/is familiar with AutoHotKey, so that might be a more suitable tool.

Although good recommendation PeterT. Remapping was exactly where my first thoughts were while reading the post.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 03-17-2016 at 04:25 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:38 AM   #73
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
As TEX (stupid me!) noted, I use AHK fairly extensively (or: at least, I used to...), so that might work better for this situation.

Although, my primary mode right now is the concept of remapping it with the .357. That, or the AR-15. Can't decide just now. Remap THAT, Matias.

Bloody thing. I wouldn't mind if I could figure out WHAT on earth I'm hitting. But with near-indiscernible home keys...grrrrrrrrrrr.

Peter: that is an excellent suggestion, however. I don't think I can use that with this one, but, it's a great addition to this thread.

@Tex: waiting up yet another night for word from that company across the planet. Too beat to answer all your q's, but I could swear that the "manual" simply had the key locations. I have functions occurring that I can't attribute, to key combos I don't normally (ever?) use. I'll look at it again. Tx for the link.

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 03-17-2016 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Sorry, sorry, sorry. It's 4:00 a.m. Do you know where your brains are?
Old 03-17-2016, 06:03 AM   #74
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Bloody thing. I wouldn't mind if I could figure out WHAT on earth I'm hitting. But with near-indiscernible home keys...grrrrrrrrrrr.
I suspect you would need someone to stare at your hands in person to debug!

All I can imagine is maybe with your wrists split + the tilt, maybe the fat part of your pinky is unconsciously pressing down near the Ctrl key or something?

I know I am going to annoy you... and sound like those annoying IT guys on the phone... but did you fiddle around with the little tilt feet as well? Maybe the other steep/shallow angle might be more helpful for your hands.

Side Note: Oh, and remember that one horror IT story I told you about? Did you make sure your old keyboard is unplugged and not buried under a stack of papers?

Quote:
@Tox: waiting up yet another night for word from that company across the planet.
Well if TOXaris ever sees this, I am sure he will be happy to hear that.

Quote:
Too beat to answer all your q's, but I could swear that the "manual" simply had the key locations.
Yeah, that "manual" does look to be a serious joke though. Although how in-depth do you want the manual to be? Aren't keyboards just assumed to be plug/play? What are you going to want next, a manual for a pencil sharpener?

Quote:
I have functions occurring that I can't attribute, to key combos I don't normally (ever?) use. I'll look at it again.
I will look around as well.

Does the keyboard have those little lights to show Num Lock/Caps Lock/Scroll Lock? Maybe Scroll Lock is on and is doing funky things?

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 03-17-2016 at 06:19 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:49 PM   #75
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
<snippity)
Well if TOXaris ever sees this, I am sure he will be happy to hear that.
DUH. I'm sorry. No more 4:00 a.m. typing. I swear.

Quote:
Does the keyboard have those little lights to show Num Lock/Caps Lock/Scroll Lock? Maybe Scroll Lock is on and is doing funky things?
It does indeed. It does two things I simply cannot figure out: the caps lock gets, well, LOCKED. I mean, can't UNLOCK the accursed thing. That's one. The second? It starts typing a number or letter, like someone is sittong on the key. To make it stop, I have had to unplug the damned thing. I can find NO rhyme or reason for this. It seems to occur out of the blue, and bizarrely, NOT on a key I've recently used.

Cursed. The thing is cursed. The funny part of all this is that you guys think I'm being hyperbolically dramatic about shooting the keyboard. NOT.

TEX, I will respond more later. Need some wrist relief time.

Hitch