Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-02-2008, 09:33 AM   #61
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by growat View Post
I've only had the Reader a few days but is it the general consensus that the eBook Library is better left asleep and to stick with libprs500?
For a lot of folks libprs500 is the way to go. I use it for conversions, but have found I use the Sony software for actually managing my books.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #62
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Mine does eventually turn off on it's own without another key press. maybe you aren't wating long enough. i cannot say for sure.
I think you're right. I wasn't waiting long enough. I tried not pressing any key and it certainly turned off Thanks for your response.

One question about the 1-key hack: So this key always acts as the page-turn button? Even on the menu screens?

Thanx again
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2008, 10:42 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret View Post
I think you're right. I wasn't waiting long enough. I tried not pressing any key and it certainly turned off Thanks for your response.

One question about the 1-key hack: So this key always acts as the page-turn button? Even on the menu screens?

Thanx again
I'm guessing that the 1 key would be a page turn even on menues and holding it down for a few sections would act like a normal unhacked 1 press.

I cannot properly test it out as I don't have that hack installed. But given how other key function changes work, that assumption is mot likely correct.

There is the first hack here that doesn't change the 1 key if you don't want it changed and has all the other features.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:36 PM   #64
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
Jon,
Would it be possible to see your unified font somwhere?
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:40 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All the unified font hack is is just changing what size the 505 uses when it ithinks it should use the larger font so it matches the smaller font. Nothing different otherwise.
Advert
Old 05-02-2008, 04:55 PM   #66
kbarnsda
KBar
kbarnsda doesn't litterkbarnsda doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Fire, Amazon Kindle
Hello! Everything worked nicely!!.
I made a subdir at the root of the 505 called \tmp, unzipped the files while ON the SD.
I then turned the 505 totally off per the other forum member suggestions.
The flash menu came up properly the first time. Option #6 gave a good flash.
Thank you!!!! This is very nice. I extremely like the clock.

Using hack #2
One note...I was unable to set the clock with the #1 key as 1300 (1pm).
My work around was I set the clock to 0959 AM and waited till the 505 advanced to
1000 am. This put the #1 digit in the correct place without having to enter it.
When I "held" the #1 key, a lower case alpha digit was generated in some cases
or the cursor would progress to the next field if adjusting the date/time.

=================================================
Using hack #1
I decided to reflash with the original hack#1 instead.
All went smoothly and the #1 key function returned perfectly.

I have read for several hours now and all seems to be ok.
Thank you for your work!!

Last edited by kbarnsda; 05-02-2008 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Update
kbarnsda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #67
davidw89
Connoisseur
davidw89 began at the beginning.

Device: none atm
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This new hack is the same as the previous hack except the 1 key is not a page forward key and I hope holding the 1 key works as the 1 key used to with just a press.

This modification is for bookbinder.
Using hack 2, the 1 button does indeed forward one page but it becomes useless for doing anything else (aka i can't click the begin reading or play the audio file if its on the 1 button or anything else)
davidw89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:47 PM   #68
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I wonder if you can set a button to open another book. I'd like to toggle between one ebook and a dictionary ebook by pressing #1 and/or #2. (Switching ebooks it's a feature I happen to use a lot in my ebookwise 1150.)
Is that possible? thanx!
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:14 AM   #69
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Ret:

Have you made use of the bookmarks? I *think* if you hold down the bookmark key you will go to the bookmarks page (if not, then *that* would be a good hack).
kfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:24 AM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

So it seems that Hack #2 is not all that useful since the 1 key is gone. What I will try to make the 1 key page forward on hold and put it back as normal on a regular press. That would work to fix the problem where the 1 key is needed.

Look for Hack #3 later this weekend.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #71
macphersondh
Enthusiast
macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
Cool - I was just about to revert to hack 1 until I read about possible hack 3!

David
macphersondh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #72
kbarnsda
KBar
kbarnsda doesn't litterkbarnsda doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Fire, Amazon Kindle
Hello,
Thanks again for hack #1.
I hated drilling down to the "all off" button and a clock is a wonderful addition.

I have a few questions....
Is it possible to program the volume rocker switch for something else?
Am I in a minority, or do most folks not use the reader for music?

I have several Ipod's for my music needs.
I don't want to trade off battery life on the 505 for the privledge of listening to music on the 505.

I therefore have a very nice rocker switch on the bottom that I will never use.
kbarnsda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:15 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

it might be possible. But I cannot be sure. i can try modifying the volume and make a hack #3a and someone who doesn't use 505 for listening to mp3 can try it and see what happens. So if it messes up the volume buttons, it won't matter.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:00 PM   #74
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
On the topic of Key assigments

Great hack JSWolf, the icons and clock are awesome!!

Since we are on the topic of key assignments. Is there anyway to reassign a key so that it launches a program from the SD. (e.g. the autorun.xml) program. This would really make the dictionary much easier to use.

As for looking for additional key sequences. The PRS reader can detect multiple key presses. (e.g. holding down the mark + zoom) as a key sequence.

Last edited by =X=; 05-05-2008 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Updated comment
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:10 PM   #75
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
At this point, one wonders whether it's feasible to write a program to dynamically reassign keys? Basically, provide a library of key handlers, and an app that intercepts all keys and routes them either to the default, or to one of the customer handlers.
kfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote