Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-22-2013, 12:12 AM   #61
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
True, I couldn't unless I researched it. But if the norm was four or five waiting for a book, and it suddenly turns into 24 I sure would like to know what has changed.
I can think of several reasons offhand other than non residents. But if it was a sudden, consistent over time change I might get suspicious or even paranoid

Probably the drain on the system is why they have instituted fees. I don't think the fees come close to covering the costs, but in a way it will probably have a positive effect. People who have reasonable local libraries won't pay the fee. For those that don't and read a book a week and are eligible for the $50 fee the cost is less than $1 a book. For those that have to pay $75 for 3 months, well that would make me think more than twice, but if my local library wasn't that great I would probably end up doing it.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:27 AM   #62
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Four of my libraries issue non-resident cards - $83, $85, $150, and the last one wants you to call them for the current rate.

For one library, this amount is based on what the taxpayers pay:

Quote:
Residents of Washington State and Oregon counties contiguous to the TRL Service Area may purchase a non-resident card. The cost of the card is determined by the average cost each household in the Timberland district pays in property taxes for library services. This is recalculated each year to reflect current costs.

In 2013, the price is $83 per year, with the option of a six-month card at $42, a three-month card at $21 or a one-month card at $7.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 12-22-2013 at 12:33 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2013, 12:48 AM   #63
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Four of my libraries issue non-resident cards - $83, $85, $150, and the last one wants you to call them for the current rate.

For one library, this amount is based on what the taxpayers pay:
Interesting.

According to many articles I have read in MR threads, the average North American reads 2 books a year, and probably not from the library, we people who use the library regularly are pretty subsidized, not that I am complaining

An interesting article from before ebooks became common in libraries.

http://botheyes.wordpress.com/2009/1...t-the-library/

Helen
Old 12-22-2013, 01:38 AM   #64
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
WOW they forgot to ask me! In the past 24 hours I have read 4 ebooks all over 350+ pages!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:51 AM   #65
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Interesting.

According to many articles I have read in MR threads, the average North American reads 2 books a year, and probably not from the library, we people who use the library regularly are pretty subsidized, not that I am complaining
True about the subsidy, although more people use the library than I would have thought.

Here's a document from my library's 2012 budget proposal: http://www.imcpl.org/files/8713/3242...etProposal.pdf

That data used in the proposal is from 2010, but if you dig down, it's pretty interesting. The total population served is 875,000. Of these, 550,000 have a library card, and 180,000 used the card in the previous 12 months.

There were other interesting tidbits - 5 million patron visits annually; 65% of the items checked out are books; 0.5% of items checked out were "downloadables" (remember the data are from 2010); the meeting rooms were used for 4,100 meetings of non-profit groups (and 91 for-profit groups); library programs for juveniles attracted 200,000 attendees.

Total budget is $48 million.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2013, 02:04 AM   #66
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Interesting.

An interesting article from before ebooks became common in libraries.

http://botheyes.wordpress.com/2009/1...t-the-library/
Of course books are only part of what a library offers its patrons. I know some who go there for movies or music. Don't know if you still can, but years ago ours used to offer framed artwork you could checkout and hang on your wall. Audiobooks, newspapers, magazines, research materials. For two people I know it's there only real form of internet/computer access.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:01 AM   #67
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Hardly in Sweden, remember we're a bunch of pinkos.
Oh, I thought maybe there would be a party.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:03 AM   #68
speakingtohe
Wizard

[QUOTE=Andrew H.;2719056]True about the subsidy, although more people use the library than I would have thought.

Here's a document from my library's 2012 budget proposal: http://www.imcpl.org/files/8713/3242...etProposal.pdf

That data used in the proposal is from 2010, but if you dig down, it's pretty interesting. The total population served is 875,000. Of these, 550,000 have a library card, and 180,000 used the card in the previous 12 months.

There were other interesting tidbits - 5 million patron visits annually; 65% of the items checked out are books; 0.5% of items checked out were "downloadables" (remember the data are from 2010); the meeting rooms were used for 4,100 meetings of non-profit groups (and 91 for-profit groups); library programs for juveniles attracted 200,000 attendees.

Wow. Those people do great reports. And they have IMO a superior website.

Seems that average books borrowed in 2010 was slightly over 2 per patron and makes up 2/3 of overall borrowing. (I borrow several a week but probably 2 a year is more typical)
Indianapolis-Marion County Public Library fees for out of state patrons are $65 a year which seems more than reasonable.

Thanks for the link.

Helen
Old 12-22-2013, 06:22 AM   #69
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
And here I thought you had just about the amount that a nation can handle.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #70
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Did someone say party?

Old 12-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #71
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And here I thought you had just about the amount that a nation can handle.
Too much in fact, want some?
Old 12-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #72
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Too much in fact, want some?
We have enough already, they are called Sweden Democrats, kind of ironic.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #73
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Of course books are only part of what a library offers its patrons. I know some who go there for movies or music. Don't know if you still can, but years ago ours used to offer framed artwork you could checkout and hang on your wall. Audiobooks, newspapers, magazines, research materials. For two people I know it's there only real form of internet/computer access.
This. We have several (probably in the hundreds) patrons who only come to the library for computer use. The library didn't use to require a card for that, but in order to fund the computers, they had to survey the use and figure out if it was worth spending resources/grants to keep or get more computers. There were a large number of people without cards just using the computers. My library also offers a tax adviser for several days during tax season (really it's just to help people figure out forms--not an accountant) . There are free movies played in the one conference room. There are talks held, resume services, copy machine, printing services, children's reading and activities (they get performers in such as puppeteers and actors). Sure, it's mainly books and DVDs, but there are other things too.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #74
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
This. We have several (probably in the hundreds) patrons who only come to the library for computer use. The library didn't use to require a card for that, but in order to fund the computers, they had to survey the use and figure out if it was worth spending resources/grants to keep or get more computers. There were a large number of people without cards just using the computers. My library also offers a tax adviser for several days during tax season (really it's just to help people figure out forms--not an accountant) . There are free movies played in the one conference room. There are talks held, resume services, copy machine, printing services, children's reading and activities (they get performers in such as puppeteers and actors). Sure, it's mainly books and DVDs, but there are other things too.
Sounds more like a community center. Maybe it's time to combine Public Libraries and Parks and Recreation into one department. That should save some tax dollars.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #75
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Sounds more like a community center. Maybe it's time to combine Public Libraries and Parks and Recreation into one department. That should save some tax dollars.