Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-21-2012, 01:53 AM   #61
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
To be perfectly fair... Fox News is included in the title of the thread (somewhat luridly), so it's not outrageous that people would give their opinions on the source of said news. But that doesn't mean the thread has to devolve into the typical right/left, political fuster-cluck either.
Quote:
it's not outrageous that people would give their opinions on the source of said news.

You are correct there though it wasn't really germane to the subject. The problem is that some people then expressed an opinion on what kind of people read that source and basically did some name calling.

Let me give another example away from the political area.

The Honda Element is to be discontinued. It is a terrible car. For one thing, it's stated weight capacity is hidden in all Honda publications and you actually have to go look on the car itself where the government requires the capacity to be posted to find the number and then you realize that only children or extremely small or thin people should ride in it, if there is one person in each seat.
-- all that is well and good and can be argued about in a civilized manner.

But then if you make a statement about the Element similar to the one made about Fox, it might come out something like this.

Anyone buying or riding in an Element is a fool. --Please note this is only given as an example.

I read that as "name calling." Not welcome on MR.

-- and as many do after making these kinds of statements, I will state for the record that each day and every day I will peruse "online" The Fox News, The NY Times, The Washington Post, The Washington Times, Real Clear Politics, and if I have time, CNN, Politico and the Huffington Post. I will also check the Israeli papers every 2 or 3 days to check on the Mid-East.
And in the spirit of full disclosure, I have to admit, that I usually check Radar Online as well.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:25 AM   #62
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
You are not looking hard enough.
Have a look at PocketBook readers, for example. They support hierarchical folders and do not choke on *many* thousands of book files. And they support huge numbers of file formats, so you do not have to convert ...
Have they started using the Pearl eInk screens yet?

Last edited by FizzyWater; 05-21-2012 at 02:30 AM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2012, 03:55 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Have they started using the Pearl eInk screens yet?
Yes. The PB 622 has a Pearl screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #64
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
I can't believe anyone listens to what Fox News has to say
It's been interesting to watch Fox News curious transformation over the past few months. They've been sneaking liberals into the mix.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #65
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Fox News has always had on liberal pundits in its News shows and Political/Opinion shows
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #66
musicman2523
Groupie
musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pocketbook iq 701
the only place to get actual new is BBC.............everything else is just politics...........
I still love my pocketbook iq 701................it reads ANYTHING. No it's not an ereader it's an early tablet..............i'm happy.
musicman2523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #67
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
> However, as strong as the eReader offerings are today, they're about to get much better. Barnes & Noble just released its Simple Touch with GlowLight and rumor has it that Amazon is set to release its own backlit E Ink-based Kindle this summer.

Intentional or not, there's an implied statement of "you'd be a fool to buy the Nook if you want backlight [sic], because the Kindle will obviously be better". They don't give any reason to believe that B&N is going to come out with something better this summer, so if the Nook is what you want, why would you be a fool to wait?
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #68
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I purchased my kindle a few weeks ago for $82 and got a $30 Walmart cash card. I knew that I would save some money on books, but I have been startled by how soon this device paid for itself. I am used to paying $20 for books, and now I getting them for $10 or less. So it doesn't matter how much better the new ereaders are, as far as I am concerned, this gadget was free.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #69
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post

But then if you make a statement about the Element similar to the one made about Fox, it might come out something like this.

Anyone buying or riding in an Element is a fool. --Please note this is only given as an example.
The Honda Element is a propaganda tool masquerading as a news outlet?
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #70
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geormes View Post
Thanks friend. You made me laugh some more.

Please keep it up.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #71
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by geormes View Post
Geormes, perhaps MR could add one of those Icons/Emoticons that looked like a road construction guy with a hard hat on, standing by the side of a mountain road with a sign that says:

Quote:
Danger! Danger!
Watch for falling
Metaphors ahead.

If there is one, then I will use it next time since my other indications seemed to have failed.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #72
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Intentional or not, there's an implied statement of "you'd be a fool to buy the Nook if you want backlight [sic], because the Kindle will obviously be better". They don't give any reason to believe that B&N is going to come out with something better this summer, so if the Nook is what you want, why would you be a fool to wait?
I thought the same thing when I read it.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #73
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
If you don't purchase because something better will be coming along, you will wait forever, because there is always something better just over the horizon. It's been a familiar theme with computers, there will always be a faster model on the market later. But if you want a computer, you have to buy at some point. If you want what the device does, then get it. My Kindle 3 performs its tasks just fine, I will only replace it when it breaks.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #74
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
My next eReader will be absolutely GREAT! Or else there will be no next eReader, (well) unless my old device fails.

It must:
1. Be a Kindle
2. Have some kind of integrated lighted screen.
3. Have an SD or micro SD card slot.
4. Be at least eInk.
5. Have a 6" or 7" screen

Plus's would be:
1. 3G
2. color eInk.
3. a 6" screen. (I like that size for portability.)
4. if gray eInk, then more shades.
5. more and more battery life
6. more memory
7. a replaceable battery. (about AAA size)
8. I would accept a part of the bottom of one end to be slightly
thicker for a battery compartment and a regular
USB plug.

I probably forgot something.
?? replaceable AAA battery? isn't that pretty thick?

Which Kindle model has an SD slot?? ever?
tvuongpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #75
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuongpham View Post
?? replaceable AAA battery? isn't that pretty thick?

Which Kindle model has an SD slot?? ever?
The earliest Kindles had an SD slot. I can't remember if it went away at K2 or K3.

And while a triple-A battery is thicker than several of the current e-ink readers and some tablets, it's hardly an overwhelming size. Most portable hard drives are big enough to allow for AAA batteries (if they had any use for batteries), and that's not too thick for a portable book/library. AAA's are tiny. (And short-lived, which is the problem. But they could power e-ink for quite a while.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote