Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #61
russilwvong
russilwvong began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Just wanted to report that my experience is the same as 49Kat's:

1. Before the update, sleep/wake appeared to work fine. Occasionally WiFi wouldn't reconnect, but I never encountered a crash.

2. After the update, waking from sleep always fails: the Vox becomes completely unresponsive, requiring a hard reset (hold power button down for 10 seconds or so, let go, then press it once to boot).

3. monk127's suggestion (set "Wi-Fi sleep policy" to "never"--more details) works well for me: as long as WiFi is on, waking from sleep always succeeds. If Airplane mode is on, waking from sleep still fails, requiring a hard reset.

If any Kobo developers are following this thread, and you need diagnostic information for debug purposes, let me know.

Last edited by russilwvong; 11-28-2011 at 05:33 PM.
russilwvong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #62
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
Debugging info would be very, very useful to us. Please PM me!

Thanks!
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by russilwvong View Post

1. Before the update, sleep/wake appeared to work fine. Occasionally WiFi wouldn't reconnect, but I never encountered a crash.

2. After the update, waking from sleep always fails: the Vox becomes completely unresponsive, requiring a hard reset (hold power button down for 10 seconds or so, let go, then press it once to boot).

3. monk127's suggestion (set "Wi-Fi sleep policy" to "never"--more details) works well for me: as long as WiFi is on, waking from sleep always succeeds. If Airplane mode is on, waking from sleep still fails, requiring a hard reset.

If any Kobo developers are following this thread, and you need diagnostic information for debug purposes, let me know.
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 06:33 PM   #63
ne0rmatrix
Enthusiast
ne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: kobo Aura HD,Apple Ipad Mini,Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4,LG G4
Google is my Friend! Gingerbread 2.3.3 problem common

Quote:
Originally Posted by russilwvong View Post

Ok there appears to be a common Gingerbread 2.3.3 problem with wifi sleep policy. I have seen many many pages on google regarding this issue. Some are not related to wake from sleep problem, mainly all the ones regarding battery drain, but there are quite a few regarding wifi sleep policy disabling as a method of preventing wake from sleep with this version of the os. Hmmm.

Makes you wonder whether this is a problem that kobo caught from google android developers second hand? If you want just do a search for android 2.3.3 wifi sleep problem and see the huge number of entries that appear to be relevant.

Edit: Corrected spelling error that would mislead intent.

Last edited by ne0rmatrix; 11-28-2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Misleading gramatical error
ne0rmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #64
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Seem to see a pattern developing here. I'm experiencing exactly the same issues with sleep that people are mentioning in the last couple pages. In fact, before this update, I had very few problems and it is really bad that an update that was supposed to fix a problem with sleep has actually made it worse. But enough ranting.

I've noticed that about 5 or 10 minutes after I put my vox to sleep, it briefly wakes up. Once that happens, it is DOA and needs to be hard reset. The last time it did this, I unlocked it as it was briefly awake. There was an exclamation mark in the status bar with the message "SD Card Unexpectedly Removed". Of course, nothing worked at that point and it needed a hard reset. Is the internal sd card getting unmounted at some point in the sleep process?

Lastly, as others have asked, I would very much like to know if it is possible to go back to the previous firmware as this one is just terrible. I'm almost at the point of returning my vox and before this update, I was happy as a clam.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #65
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
@ mr_nobody,

Interesting you should mention the card episode.

My notes from this afternoon:

"Tried with wifi on [waking from sleep]. -->OK.
Noticed it said battery is charging even tho it wasn't. Turned off wifi. Battery at 20% & wifi using most of it. Put to sleep, woke it up. Tried to open apps, said SD card unexpectedly removed. (It wasn't.) Then became unresponsive. Tapped power button. Went black. Did 10s reset. Booted up OK. Powered down to recharge."

I used the Vox and read for a bit after the last startup, before shutting it right down to recharge. The green light indicating full power came on in about 2 hours. I haven't powered it back up yet. (I was busy with other stuff, including browsing the discounts on the Kobo site, using my laptop. )

My Vox doesn't seem to like being put into sleep mode with the wifi turned off.

My unprofessional diagnosis--a power management conflict involving the wifi. Maybe if I want to conserve power I should shut down the wifi while I'm using the Vox unless I actually need the wifi on and then just make sure the wifi is on before putting it into sleep mode.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #66
zazou
zazou began at the beginning.

Device: nook touch; Kobo vox; Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
. There was an exclamation mark in the status bar with the message "SD Card Unexpectedly Removed".
I forgot to say that I had the same message.
zazou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:41 AM   #67
damoose
damoose began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Touch and Vox
Never sleep works for me too. w00t!

Mentioned the sd card error back a page or two. Glad to see others are getting it as well. Well not glad really but... ;-)
damoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #68
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
This "wake from sleep" bug has finally caught up with me too. I enjoyed 3 or 4 weeks of wonderful Vox - until I did the upgrade. Now I'm having all kinds of log-in problems with the need to reset constantly. Kobo, please tell us there's another update in the works - soon!
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:57 AM   #69
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update, just had an episode of the sleep of death thing even when I put it into sleep mode with the wifi left on. I left it plugged into the charger.

The change--I had installed the Mantano free app this evening.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #70
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
I just had what 49kat happen to her, with my wifi policy set to Never. same scenario. Had two freeze and resets before that (buttons lit, but screen wouldn't turn on, so it ran through battery). No software updates, but the day before the bag with the Vox in it flopped forward onto a desktop, with the screen side first. after that is when I began having issues. Just did the battery reset via button, everything else I can get to without a screwdriver feels secure.

No software changes since well before this started. Either Kobo got a timer in there to encourage obsolescence real early, or there's something else going on. Especially as this was working fine after the update for almost a week.

EDIT: in retrospect, I shouldn't have summoned Murphy by asking if my unit was the one the update was designed for.

Last edited by Haesslich; 12-02-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #71
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
Update, just had an episode of the sleep of death thing even when I put it into sleep mode with the wifi left on. I left it plugged into the charger.

The change--I had installed the Mantano free app this evening.
Does the Mantano phone home to check for updates?

Completely as an aside, I have now had two apps that screwed me up in various ways. When I deleted them and found them again through another source, I was OK. I don't know if I had a bad initial install, but the apk was really fine, or if I had a bad apk to begin with.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #72
49Kat
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Does the Mantano phone home to check for updates?
I don't know. I'll check the settings when I get a chance. I can also take a peek and see if it's running when I'm not actually using it.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #73
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Update to the update - I lost 10% battery in seven hours standby with wifi off. It froze as I unlocked it, with the unlock bar stretched across the screen. No new software changes, but not being able to shutdown normally corrupted the keyboard app, ans previous resets corrupted the PDF reader and Perfect Viewer.

I'm curious what caused the failures this time - may try the autosunc fix someone else suggested.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #74
49Kat
Fanatic

I don't see any settings to indicate that Mantano phones home. I have also not seen it running in the background.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #75
yawar
yawar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Hi James,

I too am facing the wake-from-sleep problem after the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
Debugging info would be very, very useful to us. Please PM me!

Thanks!
James
Can you point us to where we can get the debugging info to message you with?

Thanks
yawar is offline   Reply With Quote