Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #61
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
they have no ability to compel people to buy the ebook at the high price.
I guess that's why they start all those price rant threads that you hate, form the $9.99 boycotts and post the one star reviews - consensus building

You might not think they'll ever be effective or have enough power to sway Publisher Decisions. But just as you have the right to start discussions here because you find the behavioral economics interesting --- they have the right to try.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #62
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker
Except that you can't buy a used ebook.

And you can't buy a remaindered ebook.

And you can't borrow an ebook from your friend.

And you can't wait for an ebook to come out in "paperback".

And you can't use a discount coupon on an ebook.

And you can't buy an ebook on sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase
You can buy a used copy of the paper book. Who says just because you have an ereader that you can no longer read paper books.

You just neatly sidestepped Worldwalker's point.

Exactly. If I was interested in buying paperback books or still had the room for them I wouldn't have gotten an ereader in the first place.

Hopefully, soon the prices of ebooks will come down & they will drop the idiot drm & gr for other countries, if not, there is a lot of books out there that are priced where I will pay.

Eventually the publishers will learn the same hard lessons that the music industry learned the hard way. People will get what they want one way or another, however by then some will be so used to getting their books the other way, they probably won't want to go back.

Last edited by cfrizz; 01-21-2011 at 03:30 PM.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 04:15 PM   #63
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Except that you can't buy a used ebook.

And you can't buy a remaindered ebook.

And you can't borrow an ebook from your friend.

And you can't wait for an ebook to come out in "paperback".

And you can't use a discount coupon on an ebook.

And you can't buy an ebook on sale.

And there's no cost to a publisher for keeping an ebook around at any given price forever, unlike hardbacks, which eat. (or at least cost taxes, warehouse space, etc., which works out to the same thing)

But other than, y'know, being subjected to any of the same pressures that affect hardcover books, I guess "everything" is still true, for values of "everything" approaching zero.
Different things have different value to different people. While the things listed above probably have some value to me, the value that they have to me is small compared to the value I get from having an e-book. Specifically, the convenience I have in ordering the book (rather than having to make a trip to the bookstore), the convenience of having the book on my ereader, and the convenience of being able read books across devices. There's also the convenience of being able to select the font size.

The convenience of e-readers and e-books are a big deal to me, and to a lot of people. The same is true of font sizes. These things have real value, and focusing only on pricing misses part of the equation.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #64
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
The convenience of e-readers and e-books are a big deal to me, and to a lot of people. The same is true of font sizes. These things have real value, and focusing only on pricing misses part of the equation.
Which is why people will pay $14.99 for an ebook when they used to spend $20 for the hard back. It's still cheaper, if not cheap ENOUGH for others according to how they value ebooks.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #65
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I have no problem with them wanting allot of money for a book, I just won't buy it. I think that they should price it more reasonable, but I think it's very important for them to be able to price the book at there chosen price.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #66
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I've been refusing to pay $25 for a new release hardcover for years. How's it feel without my twenty-five bones, you book makin' jerks? Eat it!

Price hasn't come down yet but I doubt they can hold out much longer.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #67
inkyness
Enthusiast
inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
I think it's very important for them to be able to price the book at there chosen price.
I agree.

Also... I'm not sure what most people consider to be too expensive, but I don't think $14.99 is unreasonable for longer (i.e. 700+ page) novels. I also don't think publishers should be ridiculed if they decide to delay an ebook's publication. It's not like people got up in arms when paperback releases weren't simultaneous, and this isn't that different.
inkyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #68
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
You can buy a used copy of the paper book. Who says just because you have an ereader that you can no longer read paper books.
You said there was no difference between a pbook and an ebook.

I pointed out all of the differences between pbooks and ebooks.

You then said I could buy a pbook, despite the fact that was never in dispute. Of course I can buy a pbook. Or a movie. Or a flowerpot.

My point remains: You were wrong when you stated that there was no difference between a pbook and an ebook. There are significant differences, as I listed in my post, between pbooks and ebooks.

But, of course, these "discussions" you start are never about you seeking out and understanding other people's points of view. They're about you presenting the publishers' point of view, or what you think the publishers' point of view is, over and over and over again, with the idea that if you say it enough times it will be true.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:02 PM   #69
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I've been refusing to pay $25 for a new release hardcover for years. How's it feel without my twenty-five bones, you book makin' jerks? Eat it!

Price hasn't come down yet but I doubt they can hold out much longer.
(smile)

Lee
Old 01-21-2011, 11:05 PM   #70
leebase
Karma Kameleon

When did I say there was no difference between paper books and ebooks? I've simply stated that ebooks are in competition with the paper version of the same book..just one of the many competitive options that make it impossible for a publisher to set too high a price.

Lee
Old 01-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #71
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkyness View Post
I agree.

Also... I'm not sure what most people consider to be too expensive, but I don't think $14.99 is unreasonable for longer (i.e. 700+ page) novels. I also don't think publishers should be ridiculed if they decide to delay an ebook's publication. It's not like people got up in arms when paperback releases weren't simultaneous, and this isn't that different.
I wonder how many of those who complain about e-book prices were people who used to spend very little on print books -- maybe they used to borrow or buy them used or remaindered. Maybe those people are more sensitive about e-book pricing, because though e-books in general are a bargain compared with new books, they cannot compete against used-book prices, remainder-book prices or free books from the library.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #72
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I wonder how many of those who complain about e-book prices were people who used to spend very little on print books -- maybe they used to borrow or buy them used or remaindered. Maybe those people are more sensitive about e-book pricing, because though e-books in general are a bargain compared with new books, they cannot compete against used-book prices, remainder-book prices or free books from the library.
+1

Lee
Old 01-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #73
sprouty
sprouty doesn't littersprouty doesn't littersprouty doesn't litter

Device: none
Hi

Are Ebook prices that bad like many are saying they are a relative bargain to the price of Hardbacks and a lot easier to store. The Author has to make some money somewhere or there would be no motivation for them to produce quality work

sprouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #74
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty View Post
Are Ebook prices that bad like many are saying they are a relative bargain to the price of Hardbacks and a lot easier to store. The Author has to make some money somewhere or there would be no motivation for them to produce quality work

Welcome to the forum....karma coming your way.

Lee
Old 01-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #75
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
You're assuming that the publishers are rational, and
1) want to maximize the profits for each individual title
2) have the resources to do so.
You can't argue economic absolutes, when one of the parties violates the basic tenents of basic economic theory. At the level most people are familiar with economics, i.e. 101 series micro/macro, all consumers are rational beings who want to maximize their utility. Whether that utility comes from more money, more time, or more food, they want to maximize it and make rational decisions to do so.

In that very specific construct, no, you cannot price anything too high because the want to maximize utility coupled with a lack of sales will very quickly cause more rational pricing, and equilibrium to be reached.

Without the assumption of a rational being and quick decision making, i.e. your own characterization of publishers, you CANNOT apply 101 series economic theory. Therefor, you CAN price an item "too high".

EDIT: But I've noticed that the OP doesn't look for understanding. Every month or two he posts a bombastic post guaranteed to attract attention, in the hopes of talking past them. I propose we stop encouraging him, and let his silly non sequiturs slide into oblivion.

Last edited by MovieBird; 01-22-2011 at 01:57 PM.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote