Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-08-2011, 01:22 AM   #61
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
WMA is Windows Media Audio. I'd guess they are files that are for the Windows Media player which sometimes do have data rights management attached to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
I couldn't figure out where to put these questions, so Mods please move it if necessary. Can someone explain audiobooks basics to me? My library has MP3 audiobooks, I know these can be downloaded on the Kindle. But I have an iPhone that I want to use for audiobooks. What are WMA audiobooks? They can't be played on the iPhone? What device do you have to have to download WMA audiobooks? I belong to 2 libraries and most of their audiobooks are WMA and they have not so many choices in MP3.

Thanks so much!
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #62
semione
semione began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
ApK, thank you for your help, and please excuse my ignorance, but I have an iPhone 3, my son got a new iPhone 4 and I'm using his iPhone 3 that can't make phone calls but does everything else, so isn't it pretty much an iPod??? The WMA Overdrive books at FLP say they are compatible with an iPod, so shouldn't I be able to download them on it?
Quick answer is yes, you can download protected wma files and have iTunes import them to your iPhone IF the publisher permits. Check the icons at the bottom of the book's box and if the iPod isn't grayed out, it'll work.

What actually happens is the Overdrive software sends the files to iTunes which converts them to a format your iPod/iPhone can play, in this case M4B, which too is a protected file. However, all this is transparent and happens fairly quickly. The books, along with a cover image, will appear in your audiobook folder.

My method is to allow the Overdrive software to download the books, plug in my iPod, start iTunes and then send the books to my iPod via the Overdrive Media Center.
semione is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #63
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
I'm here to report back to all you helpful people, yesterday I downloaded my first WMA audiobook from the library onto my Sansa Clip+. It went very smoothly, no problems. I'm very happy that I bought this little $40 device, it's been worth every penny. Also bought a cheap set of speakers to use in my sewing room when I want to listen in there. Thanks again for all your help, I couldn't have figured this out without you!
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #64
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Audio books from the library -- I hadn't thought of that one! I wonder if either of my libraries has any that are downloadable? (I haven't looked at their "e" collection since getting my reader over two years ago -- it was not organized and was difficult to navigate.)

Congratulations on getting it worked out, Patricia!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #65
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
I'm here to report back to all you helpful people, yesterday I downloaded my first WMA audiobook from the library onto my Sansa Clip+. It went very smoothly, no problems. I'm very happy that I bought this little $40 device, it's been worth every penny. Also bought a cheap set of speakers to use in my sewing room when I want to listen in there. Thanks again for all your help, I couldn't have figured this out without you!
Now get yourself an FM Transmitter and you can listen in the car!
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #66
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Rich, thanks for the suggestion, but I'm retired and don't spend much time on the road any more.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #67
PG4003
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
Audio books from the library -- I hadn't thought of that one! I wonder if either of my libraries has any that are downloadable? (I haven't looked at their "e" collection since getting my reader over two years ago -- it was not organized and was difficult to navigate.)

Congratulations on getting it worked out, Patricia!
Sakura, my local library has a very good selection of ebooks and audiobooks, and I also have a non-resident membership to the Philadelphia library and they have a lot too. I've never checked the numbers to verify, but it seems like they have more audio books than they do ebooks, every time I do a search for something I'm interested in, they have it in audio format but not ebook format.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #68
trksh22
I'd Rather be Reading
trksh22 is on a distinguished road

Device: K2
PG4, can't recall if it was answered, but if you move the books from your MUSIC folder to your AUDIOBOOK folder, you will be able to resume where you left off in the book. I was able to resume after switching to a different audiobook and listening to music!

I have put audiobooks from Audible, the library (overdrive and Netlibrary) on my Sansa. The only problem I have run into is that for some reason it won't play WMA files from Netlibrary. They'll play on the computer but the Sansa will say I don't have the rights. Oh well!
trksh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #69
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by trksh22 View Post
PG4, can't recall if it was answered, but if you move the books from your MUSIC folder to your AUDIOBOOK folder, you will be able to resume where you left off in the book. I was able to resume after switching to a different audiobook and listening to music!

I have put audiobooks from Audible, the library (overdrive and Netlibrary) on my Sansa. The only problem I have run into is that for some reason it won't play WMA files from Netlibrary. They'll play on the computer but the Sansa will say I don't have the rights. Oh well!
WMA books from Net Library MUST be "authorized" before transfer by opening them @ Windows Media Player to obtain a license. They play just fine on Sansa devices if you do so. You cannot drag-and-drop them; they must be transferred via Windows Media Player, which will send them to the music folder. However ... if you tag them as "audiobook" as the genre with WMP, they'll have the return-and-resume function on the Sansa.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #70
trksh22
I'd Rather be Reading

Thanks SeaBookGuy. I actually did do that. It shows fine (and plays fine) in WMP. But if I hook up my Sansa that little blue circle with the exclamation point shows up. Hover (or right click, can't remember) says my device isn't supported. I know that it's licensed because it plays on the computer (or at least I think so). Windows 7 64 bit with WMP 12 (though I don't recall updating it).

The only thing I can think that messed it up was I *first* dragged and dropped and when that didn't work, I did it the correct way. Me thinks I made it mad, which is ridiculous because I love my Sansa.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #71
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Me thinks I made it mad, which is ridiculous because I love my Sansa.
We all our Sansas
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #72
trksh22
I'd Rather be Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
We all our Sansas
That makes me feel better. I was hoping it wasn't just me! Finally, people who understand me!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #73
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The only thing I can think that messed it up was I *first* dragged and dropped and when that didn't work, I did it the correct way. Me thinks I made it mad, which is ridiculous because I love my Sansa.
What occurs to me just now is to check your "USB system settings" -- I believe putting it on "Auto Detect" should work if your device is showing something else. I can never remember which is which (MSC/MTP), but with my Cowon D2, if I have it on the "wrong" one, WMA files won't play, but the other setting works just fine (after re-transferring the book). So, try experimenting with that.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #74
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
That makes me feel better. I was hoping it wasn't just me! Finally, people who understand me!
Yep, it's my favorite gadget. I carry mine everywhere. With music, audiobooks, podcasts and FM radio in such an itty bitty package, what's not to love?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #75
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

I found I cannot scroll to switch between podcasts, but must power down completely to go from one to another, unlike juggling audiobooks.