Notices

Old 08-03-2015, 01:39 PM   #61
Thomas_AR
Zealot
Thomas_AR began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Having all rights disappear is very strange. No user-mode program like CC should be able to hose the system so thoroughly. I will make a release tonight, but I am not confident that it will fix the problem because I don't understand what is causing it. But who knows?

There is another work-around that will put the cloud cache in main memory but leave the books on the SD card. In CC's Settings/Formats and folders, change the directory for all the extensions you use (epub, etc) to be the same as the default (on the SD card). After you have changed all the extensions, change the default folder to somewhere on main memory. That will move the cache and the debug logs to main memory but will leave your books on the SD card.
I haven't received it.
It's very strange. I never saw that before in any case or other applications.
Anyway it is working moving the cache to internal storage while leaving the books on the external SD Card.
Thanks

But I will try you update with the old configuration and report back.
Thomas_AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:35 PM   #62
Thomas_AR
Zealot

Well I tried with the new version. CC does not crash anymore but after a successful download of the metadata file it says it doesn't has access to the ext. SD card as it is read only. Again read/write permissions are gone for the whole system. Reboot is necessary.
So I will stay with cash on internal storage and books on ext SD card.
Download of a book from Dropbox to the ext SD Card folder works flawless.

Perhaps I should send a note to the developer of my ROM, but what should I tell him? Any technical phrase?
Advert
Old 08-03-2015, 04:53 PM   #63
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_AR View Post
Perhaps I should send a note to the developer of my ROM, but what should I tell him? Any technical phrase?
As I don't know what is happening I can't say anything definitive.

It sounds like the Android SQLite DB stuff is causing trouble. That is the only significant different between downloading a book and downloading the metadata.db file. Exactly the same cloud mechanisms are used, and exactly the same local file methods are used.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:52 PM   #64
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
After 3 weeks of no feedback at all we decided to stop waiting for Amazon to approve CC's Amazon Cloud Drive integration. Tomorrow we will release CC without Cloud Drive support, but with all the others (Dropbox, Box, OneDrive, Google Drive, and local libraries). Unless Amazon objects (and we really don't know whether they will or won't), the Amazon CC update should be offered to you in the next few days.
I might have used Cloud Drive, but I'm perfectly happy to use OneDrive instead.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:32 AM   #65
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Surely, Google drive is NOT useable with fire tablets ? I have not explicitly tried but all other Google services are blocked on amazon hardware e.g. google play ,music, books....
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2015, 04:58 AM   #66
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
Surely, Google drive is NOT useable with fire tablets ? I have not explicitly tried but all other Google services are blocked on amazon hardware e.g. google play ,music, books....
Google Drive works fine with CC on my non-rooted Fire HD 8.9 testing device, as does Dropbox, Box and OneDrive. Cloud Drive also works but we cannot release it until it is blessed by someone at Amazon.

CC requires neither the provider's app nor its software library so we are not violating (as far as we know) any of their developer terms and conditions. We will see if Amazon raises a stink. Our hope is that they won't given that CC contains no proscribed SW.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:02 AM   #67
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_AR View Post
If the problem is 100% repeatable then perhaps the developer would be willing to try it him/herself using the CC demo version. The process is straightforward: build a small library of public domain books, put it on dropbox, then run CC Demo and watch what happens.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:13 AM   #68
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Google Drive works fine with CC on my non-rooted Fire HD 8.9 testing device, as does Dropbox, Box and OneDrive. Cloud Drive also works but we cannot release it until it is blessed by someone at Amazon.

CC requires neither the provider's app nor its software library so we are not violating (as far as we know) any of their developer terms and conditions. We will see if Amazon raises a stink. Our hope is that they won't given that CC contains no proscribed SW.
ok thanks.
I guess I am confusing not having a google drive app with not having access via other routes. I will may be test it when the amazon CC upgrade show up on my fire tablet. I have a sideloaded dropbox app which works, I never tried finding and loading a google drive app as I (still) think most if not all secure access to google servers is blocked by amazon. I know that I cannot get to google play music, and that my sideloaded newspaper app for The Guardian keeps telling me that it can't work because it can't get to google service , and them proceeds to work perfectly , and probably with less ads than intended
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:40 AM   #69
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I never tried finding and loading a google drive app as I (still) think most if not all secure access to google servers is blocked by amazon. I know that I cannot get to google play music, and that my sideloaded newspaper app for The Guardian keeps telling me that it can't work because it can't get to google service , and them proceeds to work perfectly , and probably with less ads than intended
Accessing Google Services is very different from accessing a Google server. Services is a bunch of code that runs in the device, supporting the Play Store, Books, etc and handling licensing and payment. Of course Amazon does not provide that code. Accessing a server is done using networking and does not involve Services. If would be very difficult for Amazon to block "bad" Google servers but still allow "good" servers like the ones providing gmail etc.

And as I said, it works fine on my stock Fire, connecting to the Google Drive server without any difficulty at all.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:15 PM   #70
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I just noticed that series is not showing alphabetically the way I expected. Using the content server, The Apocalypse Triptych is under A, and using Cloud it is under T.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:23 PM   #71
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I just noticed that series is not showing alphabetically the way I expected. Using the content server, The Apocalypse Triptych is under A, and using Cloud it is under T.
Yes, you are correct, and unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it. Calibre computes the series sort value when it sends information over the wireless device or content server connections. It is not stored in the database, so the cloud connection cannot know what calibre computed. The only way to have them show the same value is to change calibre's tweak so that series (and unfortunately titles) are "strictly_alphabetic".

Just like columns built from other columns, CC's metadata will get corrected on the next connect as a wireless device.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:53 PM   #72
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Yes, you are correct, and unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it. Calibre computes the series sort value when it sends information over the wireless device or content server connections. It is not stored in the database, so the cloud connection cannot know what calibre computed. The only way to have them show the same value is to change calibre's tweak so that series (and unfortunately titles) are "strictly_alphabetic".

Just like columns built from other columns, CC's metadata will get corrected on the next connect as a wireless device.
Strictly alphabetic is wrong to me, so I wouldn't change it. There's not a way to have a CC setting to choose which way you want? If I look in titles, they are not strictly alphabetic using Cloud.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #73
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Strictly alphabetic is wrong to me, so I wouldn't change it. There's not a way to have a CC setting to choose which way you want? If I look in titles, they are not strictly alphabetic using Cloud.
That is because the title sort is stored in the database.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:07 PM   #74
Thomas_AR
Zealot

Quote:
If the problem is 100% repeatable then perhaps the developer would be willing to try it him/herself using the CC demo version. The process is straightforward: build a small library of public domain books, put it on dropbox, then run CC Demo and watch what happens.
I will do so and explain what happens and your suggestion.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:45 AM   #75
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
With Kovid's help I changed calibre to put the series sort in the database. This change will be in the next release of calibre. The new information will be used in the next CC release.