Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 02:54 AM   #61
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Yes, the screen was very clear. I really had a hard time getting a good picture in there...and it's funny how much better the 600 screen looks in the pics than it did side-by-side. I think the 600 screen has almost a greenish-grey tinge to it that's totally lacking in the 650.

I think the 650 has the same "matte" texture feel (as opposed to "glossy") as the 300 or 505.

The sales guy and I also played around with how light a touch we needed to turn the page. It really took no pressure at all. I really hope you can get a chance to play with one soon! They should show up at Target soon, right?
Thanks so much. I live in the UK and have to wait until my local Sony Store get them, which should be by mid October. I already have a Kindle 3 so will take it with me when I go and what second ereader i buy will depend totally on the new screen. Thanks again
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:13 AM   #62
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
I just cancelled my 650 order and place an order on the 350 because it's officially in stock now. The pink is out of stock but the silver is still available. The order should arrived on Monday. I'll keep everyone updated.

I really wanted the 6" screen but didn't need the extra mp3 feature or the memory card slot to take up spaces. I will sacrifice the larger screen size for a more lighter and portable reader. Hopefully 5" is just as good.
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 05:36 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
And?
And the screen on the 650 is quite nice. The new touch does not have a layer to get in the way and it is a lot more accurate then the touch layer on the 600. The 650 is also much lighter and a lot easier to look at. ADE on the 650 has full justification and no side margin page numbers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:38 AM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma8 View Post
Grr, you make me feel silly for not checking if they were actually for sale. The Boston Sony Style store had the 350 and 650 on display. They didn't have the new, silver 900 yet, only the older, black model (on display).
I was at the Boston store and saw the sad looking 900. Why they have it on display I have no idea. The 900 is discontinued in favor of the 950 (due maybe mid-November). So there will not be a silver 900. The 950 will be silver though.

One thing I did not do is ask if they had any new readers in stock.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:40 AM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Hrm. I'll have to go back and poke around my store on Tuesday. Those of you that have seen them, does it really have one of those new "bookshelf" cover displays instead of the standard list form?
Yes. But if you change the sort order, you can get the letters on the right side for easy jumping like you had on the 600.
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 05:41 AM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selcien View Post
I just checked SonyStyle (US) and they're stilling showing the 3rd for my order.

I can't say that I'm impatient though, rather looking forward to comparing the 350 to my 600, and hoping that I didn't make a mistake in going with the smaller screen.
Once you get your 350, your 600 will sit unused except to get content off it.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:46 AM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-not-k View Post
I just called the SonyStyle store in Annapolis, MD. I was told they'd be in on the 19th. (Well, the 650, specifically.)
September 19th is such a wonderful date. That's my birthday. So if anyone wants to get me a 650 for my birthday, feel free to do so.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:48 AM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
I just cancelled my 650 order and place an order on the 350 because it's officially in stock now. The pink is out of stock but the silver is still available. The order should arrived on Monday. I'll keep everyone updated.

I really wanted the 6" screen but didn't need the extra mp3 feature or the memory card slot to take up spaces. I will sacrifice the larger screen size for a more lighter and portable reader. Hopefully 5" is just as good.
I'd have stuck with the 650 because the screen is larger and it is lighter then even the 300.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:43 AM   #69
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2, Colour
Sonystyle.ca now lists the PRS-350 as being "out of stock", my order is still due to ship on friday (hopefully)!
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:23 AM   #70
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymaster View Post

Where did you see that? The USA store says it is still in preorder and mine still hasn't shipped.

https://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...52921666257813
Old 09-09-2010, 10:26 AM   #71
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirsier View Post
Sonystyle.ca now lists the PRS-350 as being "out of stock", my order is still due to ship on friday (hopefully)!
Mine still shows that it will ship on Sepember 3, six days ago, so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #72
Vertigo
Enthusiast
Vertigo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O edition 2
There are a few comments about the screen on this thread. Basically there is no longer any kind of resitive layer, so the screen will be just as good as any other device using the same type of screen. I believe it is an identical screen to the Kindle. However I have a few concerns about the new touch technology they are using:

1) It is very sensitive requiring no pressure (of course since it is not activated by pressure but by infra red). Whilst this might seem like a good thing I can see lots of accidental activations by brushing up against it.

2) Does the touch facility turn off when in stand by mode or will a touch activate it? If the latter then I can see it getting constantly activated from standby by mistake and so reducing battery life. Also in this case the infra-red led/lasers (I don't know which) would surely draw power whilst in standby.

A bit more on thread as best I can tell in the UK the release date is given as 17th September. Both Waterstones and SonyStyle are giving that date. SonyStyle is still specifically saying pre-orders will be delivered within 5 days of release.

I'm kind of holding off as I don't like the high price (nearly double the Kindle) and I am expecting discounted prices to start appearing from other distributors very soon after the release.

Last edited by Vertigo; 09-09-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #73
perost
Enthusiast
perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
2) Does the touch facility turn off when in stand by mode or will a touch activate it? If the latter then I can see it getting constantly activated from standby by mistake and so reducing battery life. Also in this case the infra-red led/lasers (I don't know which) would surely draw power whilst in standby.
I would be extremely suprised if the reader didn't deactivate the touch screen when in stand-by. That's how the current readers work, and not doing so would be almost criminally stupid in my opinion.
perost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:34 AM   #74
Vertigo
Enthusiast
Vertigo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O edition 2
OK I would hope you are right. I have never had a Sony touchscreen sony reader so wasn't sure as I don't know how they are normally put in and out of standby. It was just a concern that had occured to me.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #75
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2, Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Mine still shows that it will ship on Sepember 3, six days ago, so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Actually, my order has just shipped! I paid 10$ extra for 1-2 day delivery so MAYBE I'll get it tomorrow!
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote