Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #61
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
I remember reading a Famous Five as a kid whilst on holiday in Scotland. Ended up hooked on the series and bought nearly every one along with many of the Secret Seven books.

As I reached high school I moved onto Fantasy books such as the Forgotten Realms/Dragon Lance series and Lord of the Rings along with a dose of StarWars/AvP Science Fiction and a bit of Stephen King. Many years later and I'm not more into reading books like Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt and Sci-Fi currently still reading the Honor Harrington series by David Webber.

Funny how reading habits change over the years
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #62
hallali
Connoisseur
hallali has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hallali has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hallali has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hallali has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hallali has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Es ist das PB 302, ich schiele aber schon auf das 360
After having memorized almost every picturebook in that large boxes in the library I remember that the first "real" book I was holding in my hand was Robinson Crusoe, as the shelf on which it stood was closest to the small childrens department. I picked it randomly out of the shelf, read the title and the first few sentences, but soon became bored as I was maybe 6 or 7. But I remember holding it in my hand. I still see the cover. I read it many years later and it is still one of my favourite books.
hallali is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #63
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
The book that got me started reading in earnest was The Dreadful Lemon Sky by John D MacDonald. I had just moved to a foreign country and didn't know anyone and found myself with lots of time on my hands most work nights. Then, one day, I noticed the MacDonald paperback in a shop and bought it on impulse and thoroughly enjoyed it. That got me hooked on the Travis McGee series and reading in general.

This wasn't the first book I'd read but it was the one that made me see reading in a different light.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #64
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I was fortunate to have grown up in a household in which reading was expected and encouraged. I remember my parents reading to me and my younger brother, frequent trips to the library, books as gifts for every birthday. I was impatient to learn to read for myself. My mother recalls that I came home from the first day of first grade in tears because we hadn't starting learning to read yet. I do remember the very first reading lesson, in which the words "I," "the" and "is" were introduced. There was a philosophy of memorization of common words first followed by phonics-based learning of more complex words. I don't know what program was used, but I thought the stories used in lessons were weird and stupid. Why would a kid have a pet mink?! We got points for reading the supplementary picture books that were part of the reading program, and could trade those points in for prizes like stickers and pencils. I ended up with a lot of stickers. At some point I finished *all* of the supplementary books and my teacher, in exasperation, sent me off to the school library to write my own stories. I wrote and illustrated an epic tale about my budgie Polly and her buddy Keeta, which was displayed in the library. I just about burst from pride!
My first SF book was "My Teacher is an Alien" by Bruce Coville, which I think I received as a gift in third grade. I was hooked for life, and pestered the school librarian for more books like it.
My first "grown-up" book was Dragons of Autumn Twilight, which I read when I was 10. Not exactly fine literature, but it was entertaining and it was the longest book I'd read at that point. It's what got me interested in fantasy beyond the fairy tale books that most kids grow up with.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #65
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I remember just always reading. Many of the books already mentioned---Ramona, the great brain etc. I also remember one year where all I wanted for my birthday were Star Trek novels and I got dozens of them.

My dad as always into the classics and kept trying to get me to read the Tom Sawyer books. I hated them and it left me wary of classics for many years. Reading Wuthering Heights in university finally taught me to like classics.

I read everything now. I go through phases where I am more into one thing than another (for example, I seem to be enjoying a lot of non-fiction these days!) I just always remember having books around and reading them.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #66
K8Ereader
Connoisseur
K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Apparently, my Mother discovered that I was reading the Railway Station names on the way to my Grandmother's aged 3. I remember wanting my Cousin's illustrated '12 dancing Princesses' and being absolutely bowled over when it was given to me. I took that book everywhere.
K8Ereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #67
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
My son just turned 1 a few months ago. I've already bought him quite a few Little Golden Books and Richard Scarry books to start his library.
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #68
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
I can't remember the first few books but what hooked me on reading was The Hardy Boys.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #69
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Books were always the presents we received for holidays. Hardy Boys, Tom Swift, Classics for Kids, etc., but my 7th grade English teacher (for you UK folks that would be about age 11-12,) gave out supplementary reading lists, a different list for boys and girls, and we had to pick out three books to read from that list and write book reports for each. The boy's list was filled with action and adventure stories. Robinson Crusoe, Treasure Island, Ivanho, etc. Much more enjoyable at age 12 than reading the required for class "Silas Marner." Being able to choose my own book was inspiration in itself!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:30 AM   #70
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
Oh, "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien. My fourth grade teacher read it to me and the rest of the class. I was already very imaginative and loved to draw. From there it was comic books and science fiction!
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #71
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
...but my 7th grade English teacher (for you UK folks that would be about age 11-12,) gave out supplementary reading lists, a different list for boys and girls, and we had to pick out three books to read from that list and write book reports for each. The boy's list was filled with action and adventure stories. Robinson Crusoe, Treasure Island, Ivanho, etc.
I'd like to know why boys always get all the fun?!! I remember when I was at school and the two last years were grouped and separated between boys and girls for the "craft" classes (not sure what they were really called at the time). For two years I had to do some totally uninteresting things (sewing an apron, then decorating a pillow with stitching), while the boys got to paint on pebbles

Oops, sorry, that's a bit off topic I guess
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #72
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I'd like to know why boys always get all the fun?!! I remember when I was at school and the two last years were grouped and separated between boys and girls for the "craft" classes (not sure what they were really called at the time). For two years I had to do some totally uninteresting things (sewing an apron, then decorating a pillow with stitching), while the boys got to paint on pebbles

Oops, sorry, that's a bit off topic I guess

you mean girls don't have fun ! ? wow ...

back on topic,

I don't know, but certainly at some stage I was introduced to The Famous Five (didn't feel same about the Seven). From then it would be whatever I could get a hold of, which wasn't much as my parents were/are not readers, and as a kid I had to make each book last as long as possible, which may be one reason I read and re-read favourite books.

As I've tried to grow up, I've moved more into Fantasy via the usual route (LOTR and Covenant) - but e-reading has opened up a whole new set of authors that I would not otherwise have read....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #73
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Books that got me hooked as a kid:

The Babysitter's Club
All the Ramona and Beezus books
The Bunnicula series
Treasure Island
anything by E. Nesbit
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:30 AM   #74
oboy
oboy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I don't remember the first books that I read, but the two that stick out are Little Vic, which I bought from a Scholastic sale in the 2nd grade, and around the same time I read a biography of Louis Braille from the school library, which started a love of biographies that I still have 35 years later.

For me, Doc Savage didn't come along until the movie was shown on TV. I now own all the books and a few of the pulps (and shhh, have the entire series on my Sony Reader).

Encyclopedia Brown was another favorite.
oboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #75
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by oboy View Post
...For me, Doc Savage didn't come along until the movie was shown on TV. I now own all the books and a few of the pulps (and shhh, have the entire series on my Sony Reader).

Encyclopedia Brown was another favorite.
I've seen bits of it (Doc Savage) on YouTube. I would rather pull out my fingernails than watch the whole thing.

(and shhh, have the entire series on my Sony Reader)

So do I. I mean I would like to
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote