Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #61
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
This test series is in no way scientific and if anyone wants to add their own test runs
of their favorite batteries (like the Enloops), in the JBL, it's pretty easy:

1) Give the batteries a normal charge, then note down the date and time you remove
them from the charger.

2) Note the date and time the batteries are installed in the JBL.

3) Make a note of the start and end times of each period of use.

4) Make a note of when the JBL's power bar indicator changes (not critical)

5) Note when the Low Battery notice first appears and use that as the end of the
test run.

6) Check and note the readings for the individual batteries with a volt meter. (not
critical, but has proven interesting)

7) Calculate and format the results like my posts in this thread, for easy comparison.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 04-30-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:51 PM   #62
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
@Ken I'm curious what firmware version are you running these tests on?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2010, 12:10 AM   #63
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Version 15 Patch 15. Haven't wanted to go to version 15d, until I've finished the
testing, in case it might effect the results. So all the tests are under the same
firmware.

Luck;
Ken
Old 05-07-2010, 10:38 PM   #64
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Ansmann MaxE+ 2500mAh Second Test Run

Removed from charger 27 Apr

3 days 6hr 20min shelf time later:

Installed 30 Apr 0110hr (showing full charge in JBL)

at the 7hr 5min of reading point dropped to three bars

at the 24hr 45min of reading point dropped to two bars

at the 25hr 38min of reading point the low battery warning appeared
[ending the test run] on 07 May (all batteries test at ~1V)

SO; 25hr and 38min of actual use time and 6 days 8hrs of
standby time.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:31 AM   #65
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Pretty impressive Ken. TY sir
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 01:38 PM   #66
GA Russell
Opening Day June 6
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Ken, I too am impressed!

Are you keeping track of what you paid for each of these brands? I suppose the price should be considered before a brand gets the MR Seal of Approval!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #67
Ken Maltby
Wizard

I should have the email invoices for all but the Energizers, and I can check how much
they are asking for them, at the local grocery store. I don't expect to do any more
than provide some basic information to help establish what can be realistically found in
terms of performance, for rechargable batteries, in the JBL. The hope is that at some
point we will have a basis for deciding whether the batteries we have are performing
as they should, of if there might be a better option.

Luck;
Ken
Old 05-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #68
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Energizer 2300mAh Second Test Run

Removed from charger 0820hrs 08 May

2hr 40min shelf time later:

Installed 1100hrs 08 May (showing full charge in JBL)

at the 18hr 55min of reading point dropped to three bars

at the 31hr 58min of reading point dropped to two bars

at the 32hr 25min of reading point the low battery warning appeared
[ending the test run] at 1535hrs on 13 May (all batteries test at ~1V)

SO; 32hr and 25min of actual use time and 3 days 20hrs 35min of
standby time.

-------------------------

I don't get how this can be. I checked and rechecked the data and
these are the actual results. I don't see any reason why this set
should do so much better than the others.

------------------------------

The next test run will be with the last NiZn 1.6v batteries that have
not "failed" in prior use, they are salvaged good ones from the prior
attempts to charge and test these new promising "Green Tech"
batteries. This will be the second "official" test run for these.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-14-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:47 PM   #69
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Powergenix NIZN 1.6v Second Test Run

Removed from charger 0820hrs 12 May

Installed 1715hrs 13 May (showing full charge in JBL)

at the 27hr 25min of reading point the JBL crashed and would not
restart with these batteries (all batteries test at ~1.2V)
Replaced these a number of times but died right after the JBL page.

Replaced with a set of the Energizers and the JBL started normally.

I give up on these, I guess I got a bad batch, or something.

-----------------

It could be just a massive stroke of bad luck, I am writing this on my netbook
as the ethernet adaptor on my motherboard just died as well.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-18-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:10 PM   #70
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Over 32 hours?
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:51 AM   #71
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
32hr 25min of reading point the low battery warning appeared

I don't get how this can be. I checked and rechecked the data and these are the actual results. I don't see any reason why this set should do so much better than the others.
It must have been lite reading...
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:03 AM   #72
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Ansmann maxE+ Third Test Run

Removed from charger 2315hrs 20 May

7days 21hr 13min shelf time later:

Installed 2028hrs 28 May (showing full charge in JBL)

at the 8hr 15min of reading point dropped to three bars

at the 28hr 55min of reading point dropped to two bars

at the 29hr 55min of reading point the low battery warning appeared
[ending the test run] at 2130hrs on 02 Jun (all batteries test at ~1V)

SO; 29hr and 55min of actual use time and 5 days 1hr 2min of
standby time.

------------------------

test 1 = 21hrs 40mins
test 4 = 25hrs 38mins
test 7 = 29hrs 55mins

For an average of ~25.5hrs

( Notice that the results are getting better over time.)

(It may be that 30hrs would be a reasonable expectation for a broken-in set
of the common rechargeables.)

Luck;
Ken
Old 06-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #73
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Those are looking impressive!

What did that set cost you and where did you get them?
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #74
Ken Maltby
Wizard

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/sh...rsllit8gi3gna7

(The Ansmann maxE are made in China.)

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/sh...rsllit8gi3gna7

(The much liked Enloops are listed at the same price as the Energizers, both are made
in Japan.)

The Energizers are ~$12 a set at the local grocery store.

Luck;
Ken

P.S.;
One thing to keep in mind is that this testing does not address how many charging
cycles the batteries actually provide, which would be a significant factor for a cost
benefit analysis. They do show that the rechargeables are providing a very practical
alternative to the "built-in" battery pack, with at least as much use per charge.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-03-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:11 AM   #75
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Energizer Third Test Run

Removed from charger 2315hrs 20 May

12days 22hr 35min shelf time later:

Installed 2150hrs 02 Jun(showing full charge in JBL)

at the 11hr 35min of reading point dropped to three bars

at the 28hr 10min of reading point dropped to two bars

at the 28hr 35min of reading point the low battery warning appeared
[ending the test run] at 2225hrs on 08 Jun (Two batteries test at ~1V
and two at ~0.8v)

SO; 28hr and 35min of actual use time and ~7 days of standby time.

------------------------

test 2 = 24hrs 27mins
test 5 = 32hrs 25mins
test 8 = 28hrs 35mins

For an average of ~28.5hrs

That's it for my test runs, It looks to me that any of the common NiMH
AA Rechargeables can provide close to 30 hours of use in the JBL, the
way I am using it. So; for me that's plenty and I, for one, am not going
to bother looking for something better. If anyone thinks they have found
something significantly better, it would be nice if they could average three
test runs like I did and post the results here, for comparison.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-09-2010 at 03:15 AM.