Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-21-2022, 03:48 AM   #61
airotkiv
airotkiv began at the beginning.

Device: KV + KOA3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Which firmware version is on the KOA3 now?

Which version did you try to change to?

Did you install a FW downgrade extension to KUAL? (Which?)

Hi, I jailbroke it on 5.14.2, then it updated to 5.14.3.0.1 where I reapplied the hotfix and all. Then I tried to downgrade to 5.14.1 bc it still has the old interface. I don't know the original fw of this KOA3 because I bought it used but it definitely had the old interface even then.

I used the downgrader from this post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...61&postcount=1

Thank you if you can show me what I did wrong!
airotkiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 01:42 PM   #62
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by airotkiv View Post
Hi, I jailbroke it on 5.14.2, then it updated to 5.14.3.0.1 where I reapplied the hotfix and all. Then I tried to downgrade to 5.14.1 bc it still has the old interface. I don't know the original fw of this KOA3 because I bought it used but it definitely had the old interface even then.

Someone who has experience downgrading walk you through the steps.

Be prepared to list exactly what you tried in detail and to follow steps exactly.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2022, 07:47 PM   #63
readandread
Zealot
readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen) v5.14.2
Quote:

I'm in the same boot. I have a KPW Sig. Edition and Amazon applied an update (to v5.14.3.0.1) while I was connected to Wifi. Like WTF, Amazon?! It's MY device and I decide when I want to install an update

From what I briefly read in this thread, it should be possible to downgrade to the version 5.14.2 where I jailbroke it, correct @j.p.s ?
readandread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:37 PM   #64
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by readandread View Post
I'm in the same boot. I have a KPW Sig. Edition and Amazon applied an update (to v5.14.3.0.1) while I was connected to Wifi. Like WTF, Amazon?! It's MY device and I decide when I want to install an update

From what I briefly read in this thread, it should be possible to downgrade to the version 5.14.2 where I jailbroke it, correct @j.p.s ?
Yes. Did you apply the hostfix after the jailbreak?

Did you re-install everything after the update?

If so, then you can download the 5.14.2 firmware and use
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=347165
to do the downgrade. (Then you need to re-install everything again.)
Old 06-26-2022, 06:14 AM   #65
readandread
Zealot
readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Yes. Did you apply the hostfix after the jailbreak?
Yes, I did install the JB hotfix after the initial jailbreak. And after that the KUAL hotfix as well. Then copied over the extensions, mrpackages and others folders to the device. These are the files & folders that were on my device after I jailbroke the 5.14.2 firmware.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CleanShot 2022-06-26 at 12.27.24.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	194558

Quote:
Did you re-install everything after the update?
What to you mean by everything?

Quote:
If so, then you can download the 5.14.2 firmware and use
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=347165
to do the downgrade. (Then you need to re-install everything again.)
I've downloaded and copied over the 5.14.2. firmware over to my device and immediately it says it can't use it. Also the KUAL booklet doesn't work when I click on it (I get an Invalid package Error) ever since the Kindle installed the 5.14.3.0.1 update.

Or am I missing something?

So in my current state, what do I do, I'm kinda of confused?

Last edited by readandread; 06-26-2022 at 06:36 AM.
Advert
Old 06-26-2022, 07:49 AM   #66
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
Quote:
What to you mean by everything?

Or am I missing something?

So in my current state, what do I do, I'm kinda of confused?
After each firmware update you need to reinstall the hotfix package (not the one packaged with jailbreak zip, the latest hotfix package from NiLuJe's snapshots thread), KUAL package... any other "hacks" that you've installed using a .bin file.

So do that. If you can't install the latest version (from snapshots thread) of hotfix package then you've lost the jailbreak and there is nothing to be done buy wait and see if someone manages to find a new jailbreak exploit that can be used on firmware 5.14.3.x and newer.

As for downgrading firmware: you can't just dump the older firmware bin and expect it to work. Even for a jailbroken Kindle. Like the first post of this thread instructs you in order to be able to install older firmware bin package you first need to edit the build number to trick the install system that you're updating not downgrading the firmware.

In order to be able to do that edit you need either functional KUAL to use that "downgrader 2.0" KUAL extension or SSH connection (via USBNetworking hack) to edit the file manually. Only then you are ready to use 5.14.2 bin, 5.14.1(.1) bin or whatever exact older firmware you want to install.

Last edited by shamanNS; 06-26-2022 at 07:57 AM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:46 AM   #67
readandread
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
After each firmware update you need to reinstall the hotfix package (not the one packaged with jailbreak zip, the latest hotfix package from NiLuJe's snapshots thread), KUAL package... any other "hacks" that you've installed using a .bin file.

So do that. If you can't install the latest version (from snapshots thread) of hotfix package then you've lost the jailbreak and there is nothing to be done buy wait and see if someone manages to find a new jailbreak exploit that can be used on firmware 5.14.3.x and newer.

As for downgrading firmware: you can't just dump the older firmware bin and expect it to work. Even for a jailbroken Kindle. Like the first post of this thread instructs you in order to be able to install older firmware bin package you first need to edit the build number to trick the install system that you're updating not downgrading the firmware.

In order to be able to do that edit you need either functional KUAL to use that "downgrader 2.0" KUAL extension or SSH connection (via USBNetworking hack) to edit the file manually. Only then you are ready to use 5.14.2 bin, 5.14.1(.1) bin or whatever exact older firmware you want to install.
Thanks a a lot. That did help some. I was able to install the K5 JailBreak Hotfix from the snapshot page no problem. But as soon as I copy the Update_KUALBooklet_hotfix_e3deabf_install.bin over it deletes it along with the .bin file from the mrpackages directory. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

As I was able to install K5 JailBreak Hotfix, does that mean I still have the JB?
Old 06-26-2022, 10:16 AM   #68
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Use the non-hotfix KUAL install bin (download "coplate" version). Copy the bin to "mrpackages" folder on Kindle drive & use ";log mrpi" search bar command (type that on Kindle and press the arrow? icon to execute the search). Ignore / don't copy kual hotfix bin file.

The jailbreak hotfix bin is the only thing (and official firmware update bin files) you install by dumping the bin into root level of Kindle drive and using "Update Your Kindle" option in Settings.

All other bin installers need to go into "mrpackages" folder and to be run via MRPI installer (which you start either by ;log mrpi or from KUAL > helper > Install MRPI packages?).

Last edited by shamanNS; 06-26-2022 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:41 AM   #69
readandread
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Use the non-hotfix KUAL install bin (download "coplate" version). Copy the bin to "mrpackages" folder on Kindle drive & use ";log mrpi" search bar command (type that on Kindle and press the arrow? icon to execute the search). Ignore / don't copy kual hotfix bin file.
Thanks, that actually worked now with the recommended coplate version. And KUAL is up and running. Now I'm getting somewhere...

What's weird though (maybe it's just my lack of understanding) is that KOReader runs as well, even though I'm still on v5.14.3.0.1 I thought b/c of the update (the d*ck move Amazon pulled on me via OTA update) all is lost.

I now went ahead downgrading to 5.14.2 via downgrade. Now, I'm on 5.14.2 again. Thank you Obi Wan KUALnobi!

I also did install renameotabin in the extensions folder and hit "Rename". Then the Kindle restarted by itself. That's normal,right? And now, I don't have to worry that Amazon will pull a fast one on my again? Just want to make sure, as I don't want to update.

Not important, but is there any way to change the empty/naked KUAL launcher book cover to something else?

And just for my understanding. What goes in the extensions folder and what in the mrpackages folder? The mr folder ist just for installing stuff, correct? And ext. add long-term functionality to KUAL.
Old 06-26-2022, 12:07 PM   #70
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Not important, but is there any way to change the empty/naked KUAL launcher book cover to something else?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=346743
Old 06-26-2022, 12:19 PM   #71
shamanNS
Guru

Quote:
I also did install renameotabin in the extensions folder and hit "Rename". Then the Kindle restarted by itself. That's normal,right? And now, I don't have to worry that Amazon will pull a fast one on my again? Just want to make sure, as I don't want to update.

And just for my understanding. What goes in the extensions folder and what in the mrpackages folder? The mr folder ist just for installing stuff, correct? And ext. add long-term functionality to KUAL.
It is normal. In theory that should stop downloading firmware update bin OTA. It doesn't stop the device from installing firmware update bin if user manualy transfers to the Kindle firmware bin and does a reboot.

Quote:

Read this thread:
Expecialy comments #3, #7, #13 and #15. Choose one KUAL extension, the cover image itself can be replaced.
"KOL" mentioned in comment #15 is a booklet (a "book" entry) that launcher KOReader directly (so that it takes one tap instead of opening KUAL>KOreader>start blah blah) is this:

Code:
https://github.com/yparitcher/KUAL_Booklet
Quote:
"extensions" folder is for KUAL extensions (= button/options inside KUAL that run scripts that do stuff) and "mrpackages" is for MobileRead packages?? (= hacks originating from MobileRead.com forum), packaged as bin installers that need to be installed via MRPI.

Firmware updates will not delete content of "extensions" folder (or anything that is on kindle drive like say "koreader" folder that contains KOReader app; factory reset will delete all that) but it will delete files that are part of the whole system needed to run KUAL and its extensions.

Once last lesson: don't ever do both factory reset and firmware install in sequence (without hotflix install in between those) or you will remove the jailbreak and hotfix will not be able to recover it.

Last edited by shamanNS; 06-26-2022 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-26-2022, 02:32 PM   #72
readandread
Zealot

Quote:
Expecialy comments #3, #7, #13 and #15. Choose one KUAL extension, the cover image itself can be replaced.
"KOL" mentioned in comment #15 is a booklet (a "book" entry) that launcher KOReader directly (so that it takes one tap instead of opening KUAL>KOreader>start blah blah) is this:

Code:
https://github.com/yparitcher/KUAL_Booklet
Thanks so much! Man, that makes the whole JB experience even more worth it!

Quote:
Once last lesson: don't ever do both factory reset and firmware install in sequence (without hotflix install in between those) or you will remove the jailbreak and hotfix will not be able to recover it.
OK, duly noted.

I didn't install the JB hotfix again after I downgraded to 5.14.2 and installed the KUAL booklet, mrpackages etc. Or is that only done during the actual jailbreak process?
Old 06-26-2022, 03:33 PM   #73
shamanNS
Guru

Quote:
I didn't install the JB hotfix again after I downgraded to 5.14.2
Downgrade is also a firmware install. Install the hotfix..
Old 06-26-2022, 05:00 PM   #74
airotkiv

Quote:

Gods and goddesses, I did make it work finally! It took some finagling and several steps but in the end I succeeded!

Verbose log below:

The trick was to not extract the contents of the downgrader zip file to the extensions folder BUT to the KUAL-add-ons folder. After that it immediately came up in the main KUAL menu.

I tried to downgrade to 5.13.7. because why not dream big but it would not take. Then I tried 5.14.1 and it succeeded immediately. Reapplied the hotfix to get KUAL up and running again, then tried 5.13.7. again because why not... but got the invalid fw file message.

Remembering that someone wrote that they tried twice and it worked the second time for them. Looks like the first time the downgrader sets the scene (version number) and does the actual work the second time around?

And it worked for me too!! BUT! the UI was still the new one, library and all.

Hotfix reapplied, tried 5.13.5. No luck, Kindle only showed a blank screen. Back to 5.13.7 by copying the bin to the root folder, and restarting the Kindle by long press while still on USB.

Now I have a KOA3 on 5.13.7 and that unnecessary home/library page still there. But at least it's not full of ads. That's something

(Hotfix back. Good night for now!)
Old 06-26-2022, 05:29 PM   #75
airotkiv

Quote:
Gods and goddesses, I did make it work finally! It took some finagling and several steps but in the end I succeeded!

Verbose log below:

The trick was to not extract the contents of the downgrader zip file to the extensions folder BUT to the KUAL-add-ons folder. After that it immediately came up in the main KUAL menu.

I tried to downgrade to 5.13.7. because why not dream big but it would not take. Then I tried 5.14.1 and it succeeded immediately. Reapplied the hotfix to get KUAL up and running again, then tried 5.13.7. again because why not... but got the invalid fw file message.

Remembering that someone wrote that they tried twice and it worked the second time for them. Looks like the first time the downgrader sets the scene (version number) and does the actual work the second time around?

And it worked for me too!! BUT! the UI was still the new one, library and all.

Hotfix reapplied, tried 5.13.5. No luck, Kindle only showed a blank screen. Back to 5.13.7 by copying the bin to the root folder, and restarting the Kindle by long press while still on USB.

Now I have a KOA3 on 5.13.7 and that unnecessary home/library page still there. But at least it's not full of ads. That's something

(Hotfix back. Good night for now!)

A quick add-on: I was able to revert to the old-old UI after all with help from Katadelos' reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...sions_on_5142/

(it's most probably also here on MR as well but I could not find it.) So, a shiny, waterproof KOA3 with a nice, clean, ad-free interface! all,

Tags
firmware, firmware downgrade