Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #61
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Why resist ease of use? Not against WiFi and would love to have Sony included it in their smaller readers. But not a deal breaker for me.
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #62
Kiteology
Kiteology began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, PC, iTouch
Both Wifi and the 3G were the reason I bought a dedicated reader MUCH earlier than I expected. A friend showed me his Kindle with lighted cover and proceeded to tell me that I could (somewhat awkwardly) surf the Internet without additional charge.

Being able to search for something I come across while reading is a big plus to me.
Kiteology is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #63
Astrakan
Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.

Device: Kindle 3G
Wifi is definitely a deal breaker for me, and 3G is a borderline deal breaker. Meaning, I simply wouldn't buy an e-reader without wifi and if I got one for free I'd likely sell it or give it away.

When I'm at home I admit that wifi and 3G isn't all that big of a deal. My computer and a USB cable is never far away. But when I'm travelling, be it for a weekend or a few weeks, wireless access is fantastic.

The ease with which I can connect to the Calibre content server, or buy new books from Amazon, or even do some basic internet surfing like checking Wikipedia or IMDb, is worth too much to me to bother with a device that doesn't have some kind of wireless functionality.

I can, however, see myself buying an e-reader without 3G if I either got a really good deal on it or if it had some other feature I really desired that wasn't available on 3G readers.
Astrakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #64
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I take my Kindle with me when I tutor literature because I want to have quick and easy access to the books my clients are reading.

I'm also a habitual fact checker and annotator. If I'm reading something, and I think, "Gosh, is that an allusion to X? What the heck does Y mean?" I'm very happy to be able to jump onto Wikipedia for a quick bit of research.

So, yes, having wifi (and for that matter, 3G) is a deal breaker for me.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:50 PM   #65
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I have three readers and a Touch, with my 700 working again (Thanks to the MR Sony forum) I seldem use my Touch for anything other than surfing for eBooks to add to my Library. However, since we travel extensively in our motor home, I could not do without one of my readers having the WiFi/3G capability. Currently I have about 3500 books ony readers. Again I keep my entire library loaded at all times, no room for paper books on a motor home.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 04:45 AM   #66
Frida Fantastic
SF/F book blogger
Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Wifi makes Instapaper to Kindle transmission happen. If it weren't for Instapaper, I probably wouldn't care about wifi so much.

Yes, Instapaper is just that good of an app.
Frida Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:49 AM   #67
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashfulbanshee View Post
Wifi makes Instapaper to Kindle transmission happen. If it weren't for Instapaper, I probably wouldn't care about wifi so much.

Yes, Instapaper is just that good of an app.
For Android I use http://readitlaterlist.com/ and I assume the Kindle should be able reading using the web interface.

But I agree that this kind of applications are very useful.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:16 AM   #68
Frida Fantastic
SF/F book blogger
Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Nah, I don't use the web browser on the Kindle. It's slow-going, clunky controls, and specifically designed to say "Hey, you DO have wifi. Now go back to the Kindle store!" My gmail doesn't even load properly on it.

I use Instapaper for reading stuff offline. I take public transit several hours a day, and it's my main way of reading up on the news. So the night before, I just spend 12 minutes clicking on each worthwhile headline across various sites and/or good looking free short stories on places like Strange Horizons and other SF magazines, save it to Instapaper, and the next day--Instapaper sends it all as a periodical to the Kindle. Kind of like a custom-made newspaper. Not to be a walking advert, but, it is a darn good program. It ain't gonna break the NY Times subscription barrier, but it makes snacking on the free content across the board a lot easier.
Frida Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:12 AM   #69
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
@bashful: i hear people gushing about instapaper. i must check it out, then
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #70
Wickedkitten
Wickedkitten began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashfulbanshee View Post
Nah, I don't use the web browser on the Kindle. It's slow-going, clunky controls, and specifically designed to say "Hey, you DO have wifi. Now go back to the Kindle store!" My gmail doesn't even load properly on it.

I use Instapaper for reading stuff offline. I take public transit several hours a day, and it's my main way of reading up on the news. So the night before, I just spend 12 minutes clicking on each worthwhile headline across various sites and/or good looking free short stories on places like Strange Horizons and other SF magazines, save it to Instapaper, and the next day--Instapaper sends it all as a periodical to the Kindle. Kind of like a custom-made newspaper. Not to be a walking advert, but, it is a darn good program. It ain't gonna break the NY Times subscription barrier, but it makes snacking on the free content across the board a lot easier.
Snap. I never actually turn the wifi off on my kindle mainly because of instapaper and also Calibre Recipes. I have Calibre set to download my "newspapers" every morning at 7 and email them to my Kindle so I can sit and read through them with my morning coffee.

No wifi would definitely be a deal breaker, but I don't need 3G because I can just tether my Kindle to my Android mobile and use that for a hotspot for when we go away on holiday.
Wickedkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #71
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Wifi is handy. If I buy a book from B&N with my laptop, it downloads automatically to three of my reading devices (and the fourth can't read it anyway), which saves me tethering three devices. That said, most of my content was sideloaded anyway. And since my most recent acquisition is the 350, clearly it's not a dealbreaker.

Now, if you could download purchases from any ebookstore to any Wifi device wirelessly, then we'd be talking, and Wifi would approach dealbreaker status.

Bottom line: I always have plenty to read on all my devices and I can't imagine I'd be caught short with bupkes.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #72
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I have neither and it doesn't really bother me at all. It's easy enough to load it up with books every time I want too by USB. So in my opinion no.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #73
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgk View Post
But would you go back to a device that had neither?
No. Download via WiFi is too convenient.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #74
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
I've been using the Sony Readers since the 500 series. I don't have a need for Wi-Fi. My partner has the 950 and rarely uses the Wi-FI. There are enough books on my Reader that I can entertain myself until I get home to "jack-in" to the internet and buy more books.

For me the deal-breaker is how much the Sony looks over the other brands. Hands down, IMO the Sony is the "Jewel" of e-readers.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #75
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgk View Post
But would you go back to a device that had neither?
Not that big a deal for me. I plug my readers in to charge and that's when I load the books. I never purchase books directly via the readers.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote