Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 04-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #61
thecdn
thecdn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Speaking of PDFs, there is a PDF app in the app store. It got some bad reviews, saying it could only read stuff on the SD card (!), but others saying it works great. Anyone here have it?
I just installed ezpdf ( $0.99) last night. It does only read files from the sd card, but it remembers where you were when you left, has search, better navigation, and other features I haven't looked at yet because I haven't had time. The first feature alone mad it worth the buck.
thecdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #62
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
All the instructions I am finding to install CM7 mentions 1.1 or 1.0. Should I worry about that since I am not rooting?
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 07:43 PM   #63
rumplestiltskin
Connoisseur
rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FireHD8, iPad
The web browser is still awful; don't see any improvement there. Must I root the device in order to get a decent web browser? *sigh*
rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #64
condor
condor began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Does the update provide any kind of editor that you could use to edit an HTML file stored on the NC? (I'd just need a text editor, not an actual HTML editor.)
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #65
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I feel fortunate. My NC is not rooted and I use it mainly just to read novels. I was hoping that the stock reader would have been updated a little, but the weather app and the ability to get exPDF, and the email app are all good things for me. I shall be sticking with it and remember that it is still less than a year old I believe.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #66
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin View Post
The web browser is still awful; don't see any improvement there. Must I root the device in order to get a decent web browser? *sigh*
No use your Ipad that what it is for...Your Nook is for reading books..
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #67
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Punishment View Post
Do we have to go through this argument every day? The Nook Color is for reading. Some people read things online. (Ever hear of fanfiction.net?) Online reading requires a browser.

I'm sorry, I'm snarky tonight because I'm having to rush to flash a custom ROM to my Nook Color when I was perfectly happy with how I had everything, so HOO-RAY for forced updates, but I'm so tired of this meme that we cannot speak poorly about our Nook Color because glurble furble wobbledy bits. Stock epub reader isn't perfect? BUY A NOOK CLASSIC; THAT'S NOT WHAT THE NOOK COLOR IS FOR. Stock browser isn't perfect? BUY AN iPAD; THAT'S NOT WHAT THE NOOK COLOR IS FOR.

News flash: B&N loaded a browser to this device, so they expect you to browse with it. It needs improvement. People are entitled to say so. You're entitled to disagree, of course, but please don't tell us that the Nook Color isn't "for" browsing when it came pre-loaded with a browser!

In other news, WHAT IS UP WITH THIS APP STORE?? Am I crazy, or does searching the app store give you results in both apps AND books in the book store? WHY would you combine those things?

Flat what.

Last edited by anamardoll; 04-25-2011 at 08:29 PM.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #68
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
A rooted Nook functions fine as a tablet for me. DolphinHD works fine for browsing (better than the stock browser). For non-rooters, I can see it's disappointing.

Now that the 2.2 update is out, it's not huge.

I'll need to go to a custom ROM since B&N didn't do anything with bluetooth (that would have been nice since it's pretty flaky right now).

I'm hoping we some some Nookie Froyo improvements (hoping B&N code helps it out and makes it even better).

Battery life / deep sleep is very important to me, so I'm not onboard with CM7 yet.

I keep hesitating because my 3yr old loves the B&N books that read to her. I hear that capability should show up in the B&N Android Nook app eventually though.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 04-25-2011 at 10:30 PM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:06 AM   #69
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Punishment View Post
That's my feeling. If I want to root it to be a tablet I can....but it's not marketed as a tablet, it's marketed as a color eReader. So the complaints about the tablet style issues seem silly to me, but to each their own.

Reader 1st, everything else 2nd. The ONLY problem I have with the reader is the inability to select your own test and background colors. I have it close to the way I like compared to Aldiko, so far so good for me!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:15 AM   #70
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I thought it was marketed as "The Reader's Tablet keeps getting better."

Quote:
# NEW! Popular apps, games, music & more
# NEW! Full featured email & fun social features
# NEW! Enhanced web with video
It's clear that they want to pass this off as a tablet. It's a great value for the price. No doubt.

Last edited by SCION; 04-26-2011 at 12:20 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:18 AM   #71
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Then they've changed the way they're marketing it, it used to be a "color eReader"

If they are in fact marketing it as a tablet, then yeah, the complaints are in fact warranted and I retract my statement.

Either way, it is a great value for the money like you said. I'm still figuring out if I want to root it.

I have my Comics on an SD card, and my books on the main memory, I think it'll be faster if I switch it though, the comics are 25MB because I condense them to create 1/2 of a 6 issue story arc.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:34 AM   #72
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Just like their magazines, their apps are also overpriced. Maybe B&N should use this for their next ad campaign:

The Nook Color - cheap tablet for overpriced content!
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:37 AM   #73
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
It's clear that they want to pass this off as a tablet. It's a great value for the price. No doubt.
Yes, I agree. And it is a great value. As far as I can see, it works very well as a tablet with the latest update. The browser, which has always been pretty good, now supports Flash. Instead of all the complaints, how come we're not hearing people cheering about how great videos look on it?

The email app, while not perfect, works quite well. So, I can check email or look at a website in seconds, as opposed to say using a netbook and wait for it boot, etc. Yes, I suppose the Color Nook would also make my breakfast and do the dishes for me if I rooted it, but for me, plain vanilla is fine with the latest update.

(As far as reading, I use the Classic Nook.)
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:03 AM   #74
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Well, I'm also underwhelmed. I'll either wait for 1.2 root or look at CM7. OR, I've kind of had my eye on the upcoming Asus EeePad Transformer...
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #75
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
OR, I've kind of had my eye on the upcoming Asus EeePad Transformer...
...are you defecting?

Traitor
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote