Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Topaz shows no errors at all if viewed on the Kindle or Kindle 4 PC etc... The topaz format on the Kindle is totally image based and shows an exact copy of the book.

The only time it has spelling errors is when we convert it to other formats. Topaz has OCR'd copies of their books side by side with the images but on the Kindle the OCR'd text is just used for search. Since the text was just used for search there was no need to proof it as thoroughly (if at all) as would be if it was the final reading product.

The conversion process does provide the images in a viewable html format for reading on a computer. If you wanted you could view the images side by side with the text and proof your book.
Why whould I want to buy a Topaz format eBook just to have to go through the hassle of having to convert it and then fix all the errors? The problem is that it is Topaz and when a book is in Topaz, it's been my experience that it's not available in any other format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #47
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Finished reading it for the first time yesterday. Absolutely loved it. Hesitant about reading the sequels though, I wouldn't like to spoil the memories of what is now my favourite book.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #48
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
Finished reading it for the first time yesterday. Absolutely loved it. Hesitant about reading the sequels though, I wouldn't like to spoil the memories of what is now my favourite book.
The whole series is great.

Read them in the order listed here. The stories indented are short stories and can be read later if you don't have them.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #49
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm about two thirds thru Ender's Game and enjoying it...

But WTF, they take forever to release it as an ebook, and there are friggin' spelling mistakes. Looks like some really stupid OCR errors. It's rediculous.
From Card's website...
Quote:
Defective eBooks

We have been made aware of several problems with the newly-released eBooks of Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, and several other OSC titles. Tor is aware of the problem and would like to apologize and let you know that steps are being taken to correct the files as soon as possible, beginning with Ender's Game. Therefore, we suggest that you wait to purchase any OSC eBooks until we can get these problems resolved. We'll do our best to update our website as the corrected titles become available.

For those of you who have already purchased the defective eBooks, Tor plans to replace your files. We'll let you know how that will work once we have the details.
So while is sucks they didn't get it right the first time it looks like they're trying to fix things.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #50
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The whole series is good, I like the Shadow series more then the Ender series though, it seemed to be closer to first book then the others.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #51
rollercoaster
Zealot
rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
I am reading Shadow Puppets at present
rollercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:18 AM   #52
piper10
piper10 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.piper10 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.piper10 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.piper10 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle 2, iPad, PW2
Is anybody keeping an eye on this situation with the "defective ebooks"? I just looked on the author's website, and the notice is still up. But I never go there and am not likely to see when the books are corrected. Hope someone will give us a heads up.
piper10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:48 PM   #53
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Orson Scott Card is a great author. Just don't read any non-fiction from him.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #54
rollercoaster
Zealot
rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Reading Shadow of the Giant currently
rollercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:04 PM   #55
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I have enjoyed the entire series so much. I was happy to find them on amazon for the android kindle app. The first book was the best - but - in part because I just didn't expect the ending. I've really enjoyed the rest of the 4 books just for the philosophic thoughts on xenocide. I have lost a bit of steam w/ the last book, Children of the Mind. These are the first books in probably a year that I've actually wanted to read / stay up late and finish (if I weren't so old and worn out taking care of a baby :-)
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #56
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
Ender's game was fantastic, but it was originally a short story that Orson stretched into a novel. That worked, but he really wasn't able to keep stretching it into a series. There just wasn't enough story there to do it. Still a classic, of course.

-BVL
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:07 AM   #57
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
That's very encouraging. I've been wanting to read Ender's Game after all the recomendations, but can't find an ebook. Your sure Ender's game is an ebook and not an audio book?

Thanks.
It's on Border's in epub format.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #58
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
I read Ender's Game and the next two books way back when. I thought it was the classic "series goes downhill" syndrome. The first book was brilliant, the second reasonable and the third unreadable. I never bothered with any of the books written later, I don't even think I finished Xenocide.

Based on what I've read here, I'll have to go back and try some of those others.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #59
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
I read Ender's Game and the next two books way back when. I thought it was the classic "series goes downhill" syndrome.
~~~
Based on what I've read here, I'll have to go back and try some of those others.
I had the pleasure of reading the entire series after it had all been written. Since I had a chronological order available to me that nicely filled in all the gaps I never experienced a "series goes downhill" feel to this series at all.

I recommend reading them in the order outlined here.

Enjoy.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #60
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Recently finished Shadow of the Hegemon. Felt like a very low point in the series to me. Card expounds too much on world politics/tactics (too much infodump) and gets (even more) melodramatic with the characters. The ending was an entire book overdue. I liked where he took the series, one way with Ender and then back for a second pass with Bean. But this volume was weak.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote