Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #46
rlanger
rlanger began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air
I'm a beta tester as well, and just received my cover yesterday.

I too was originally disappointed, like many here, to read about the size of the case. But after having had the chance to hold and use the Oberon cover, it is really growing on me, to the point where I almost wouldn't want it to be smaller than it is.

I love the fact that I can use my Sony cover with it instead of the included Velcro. This makes it really easy to pop the reader out of the case and use it naked when I want. I actually enjoy reading the Sony without a cover, so the Oberon can function as a protective case when I'm in transit, and then I can remove it to read. It's still pretty comfortable to read with the case on, although it doesn't fold back when using the Sony cover with it.

Without doubt, this is an extremely well crafted case. Design choices aside, the quality of this thing is absolutely astounding! It looks, and feels extremely expensive and there is not one thing that I can find fault with in the workmanship. If the rest of their line is of the same quality (which I assume it would be), I would not hesitate ordering any product from Oberon.

Would I pay for it if I weren't a beta tester? Without question! In fact, I think I may pick up some other stuff from Oberon since I did get this for free (well Canada customs nicked me for $17, but what that's a small price to pay for this cover).

Last edited by rlanger; 04-29-2009 at 11:13 AM.
rlanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:17 PM   #47
JasonB
Connoisseur
JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlanger View Post
It's still pretty comfortable to read with the case on, although it doesn't fold back when using the Sony cover with it.
Please tell me that the cover can fold back without the Sony cover. If it can't, that's a deal breaker for me. If it can, I'm a little surprised that adding the Sony cover into it would then prevent it from folding back. That sounds quite odd.
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #48
rlanger
rlanger began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
Please tell me that the cover can fold back without the Sony cover. If it can't, that's a deal breaker for me. If it can, I'm a little surprised that adding the Sony cover into it would then prevent it from folding back. That sounds quite odd.
Yes, the cover folds back without the Sony cover on.
rlanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:13 PM   #49
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
Pssst!
Little bird whispered that Oberon is working on a corner mount case as well.
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #50
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare of Earth View Post
Pssst!
Little bird whispered that Oberon is working on a corner mount case as well.
Of course they are, because after I saw the velcro, I went ahead & bought the M-edge! (I really couldn't have waited this long for a new cover anyways... old one broke!) C'est la vie!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #51
JasonB
Connoisseur
JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I just got the following response from Oberon Design after asking about the possibility of a reader cover using the Icon design:

Quote:
Dear Jason, thanks so much for your thoughtful email. So far, I think yours
is the 3rd request we've had for the Icon style in a Reader cover. To be
honest, right now it's all we can do to keep up with the demand for new
Reader covers (Sony, Dx, Iliad, etc) so we don't have any plans in the Icon
direction right now. However I will put your email in my wish list folder
which is where we track CUSTOMER DESIRES!!! A very important folder. Thanks
for 'chiming' and consider your request noted! By the way, our Sony Reader
cover works for both the 505 & 700. We hope to have it available on our site
later this month. Becca
So, it looks like they'll be handling other readers after the Sony.
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #52
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Got my second beta test cover last week.

I am so in love it's not even funny. All the things I disliked about the previous cover, are fixed in this one. It is a touch smaller - about the size of the M-Edge now. The leather is gorgeous, and it folds over well - with a little breaking in, I am sure it will fold over even better.
The only thing I was the slightest bit unhappy with, and it would certainly not be a deal breaker, is the left upper corner does catch the power button when turning the reader on and off. This could be solved by making the corner elastic instead of leather, but I rather like the leather, and the slight catch is barely noticed after the first day or so.

Mare
Old 06-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #53
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
That's good to hear, Mare.

It's nice to know they actually listen to their testers and customers and fixed the design. Their covers are gorgeous, and although due to cutbacks at work I can no longer afford one, it will stay on my wishlist until the economy improves.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:23 AM   #54
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
Thank you all so much for not only keeping us up to date on the 505/700 cover, but also the Oberon products in general!! I wasn't familiar with the company until this thread and I love it!!! My husband is from Ireland (NI), we lived there for years and the products are very reminiscent of the beautiful Celtic art I miss now that we are here in the US. Our personally designed (by me) wedding invites looked similar, like a hand engraved/carved Celtic symbol in copper (it was actually a Buddhist symbol found on a tatoo). Of course now I would like so many of their pieces!!!

Cheers!

Last edited by F1Wild; 06-11-2009 at 09:42 PM.
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #55
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks

Oberon should have the 505/700 covers available this week or next.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #56
F1Wild
Addict

Quote:
Coolio!!
Old 06-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #57
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
*anticipates another hit to the wallet this week or next*....

Thanks!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:21 PM   #58
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Is there any chance (if they make one that works with 4 corner straps) that it might fit the Sony 500? Otherwise I might just have to upgrade my reader just to get one of these covers.

Last edited by junkml; 06-13-2009 at 04:41 PM.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:26 PM   #59
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
I wonder if I could use celebrating my half birthday (Christmas Eve b-days stink) this month as an excuse for getting one?!
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:04 PM   #60
F1Wild
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
I wonder if I could use celebrating my half birthday (Christmas Eve b-days stink) this month as an excuse for getting one?!
Hey! I thought I was the only one who celebrated 1/2 birthdays!! Yeah! I almost have my husband convinced yet I admit I've been doing the b-day pressie shopping myself.

Cheers!