Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #46
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
"Book that Will Never Be An eBook Now Available for Preorder on Amazon."
...go run and click the link to request it as a kindle book, in the ultimate exercise of (probably futile) subversion.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:59 AM   #47
elena
Connoisseur
elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: CyBook Gen3
Oh gosh, I love the HP books, love the way they get more and more adult as the characters grow up, and I'd love they were available in digital format!

Actually, I have all of them in digital format, but I would have liked to buy them..
Advert
Old 08-18-2008, 06:32 AM   #48
mattgb
mattgb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I agree with HarryT that if you haven't tried them, there's no point in criticizing them. If you have tried them and didn't like them, fine-- no book pleases everyone.
Fortunately there are enough decent book reviews online and I know enough young (& old!) adults who have read them to be able to make my opinion without having to purchase and read. I just know I am not going to like this (I have seen some of the films with my kids & so know the gist - yes I know probably 'not as good as the books' as for just about any book to film adaptation).

Like I said, fine for getting young adults into fantasy but is nowhere near the best in the genre (Peake, Moorcock, Vandermeer, Gaiman, Pratchett, Constantine etc) and there are thousands of free fantasy/scifi eBooks out there that I would rather try before HP.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:18 AM   #49
Icarusbop
Groupie
Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
It's not so much paranoia about piracy (maybe that's the publisher's view), but the author has said before that she doesn't feel that electronic books are a proper way to experience her stories, and that she feels they need to be read on paper in order to be correctly enjoyed. So she's not paranoid, just a luddite.
So: why then does she allow audio books to be made of the same work, that she claims she thinks should be delivered in papaer only for a complete reading experience?
Old 08-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #50
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Judges (ie Moderators), can we get a ruling on that? Because I'm having a hard time seeing why this bit of news should be on this site, myself. I mean, if it's not going to be an e-book... it doesn't seem to be any more appropriate here than a news story on Hellboy 2 or Survivor: Rear Service Elevator.
Whilst on the subject of what is a 'mobile' book, where does audio versions sit?
Advert
Old 08-18-2008, 09:02 AM   #51
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Grue View Post
A year later my book group did book four (p version) and it was less impressive then the first three.
That's rather interesting, as Goblet of Fire was the one that actually won a Hugo Award. I also find it a little distressing that we keep referring to them as number 1, number, 2, etc. These are in fact, works of art, even if you don't like them. Would anyone refer to any of the tomes in the Lord of the Rings series as LOTR1, LOTR2? No, I don't think so.

Let's all remember that we need to treat the books we read (even the ones we don't like) with a bit of reverence. After all, the authors and their stories are the reason why we're all here, that is to say, why we all spend so much time on this forum.

Last edited by astrodad; 08-18-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:12 AM   #52
kad032000
Connoisseur
kad032000 doesn't litterkad032000 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Would anyone refer to any of the tomes in the Lord of the Rings series as LOTR1, LOTR2? No, I don't think so.
Sure, why not? Ah yes, you address that in your next section.

Quote:
Let's all remember that we need to treat the books we read (even the ones we don't like) with a bit of reverence.
In my opinion, that's a pretty ridiculous statement. Do we need to do the same toward movies, tv shows, video games? Books are entertainment. And I have absolutely no problem telling people how bad I think instances of other forms of entertainment are, why should that change for books?
Old 08-18-2008, 10:12 AM   #53
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
I was given the 3rd book as a present (from someone who didn't read a lot but thought it would be my 'thing').
I've read them all, some of them grudgingly and some of them with great enjoyment, but what struck me most of all was that it kind of just seemed like an updating of 'The Worst Witch' books that I remember loving when I was at school.
Never mind Hogwarts, I grew up wanting to go to Miss Cackle's Academy!
Old 08-18-2008, 10:20 AM   #54
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kad032000 View Post
Sure, why not? Ah yes, you address that in your next section.

In my opinion, that's a pretty ridiculous statement. Do we need to do the same toward movies, tv shows, video games? Books are entertainment. And I have absolutely no problem telling people how bad I think instances of other forms of entertainment are, why should that change for books?
If something is given a title, you should use the title it's been given. It's a show of respect towards that artist. I'm not saying you shouldn't be critical, but just to show some respect when discussing the piece of work in question.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:31 AM   #55
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
If something is given a title, you should use the title it's been given. It's a show of respect towards that artist. I'm not saying you shouldn't be critical, but just to show some respect when discussing the piece of work in question.
Sorry, I see what you mean but I would have to disagree with a large double helping of chocolate Ice cream.

If a book is badly written in a person's opinion then so be it. There are so many bad writers out there that bad mouthing them before I waste my money on said author is doing me a HUGE favor.
As for Parry Hotter..... I'll pass. I have enuf books as is to read for the next 100 years before I would even come near that series.

THAT said. i hope u enjoy the series... again and again and again.....
Old 08-19-2008, 12:23 PM   #56
astrodad
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Sorry, I see what you mean but I would have to disagree with a large double helping of chocolate Ice cream.

If a book is badly written in a person's opinion then so be it. There are so many bad writers out there that bad mouthing them before I waste my money on said author is doing me a HUGE favor.
As for Parry Hotter..... I'll pass. I have enuf books as is to read for the next 100 years before I would even come near that series.

THAT said. i hope u enjoy the series... again and again and again.....
Like I said, I never said it's bad to speak your opinion about a piece of work, but do it with respect. I think referring to books by any means other than their given title is a lack of respect.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:29 PM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Like I said, I never said it's bad to speak your opinion about a piece of work, but do it with respect. I think referring to books by any means other than their given title is a lack of respect.
I honestly can't see that referring to the 3rd book in the Harry Potter series as, say, "HP3" shows any lack of respect. It's merely a useful shorthand notation. Everybody understands what it means.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:14 PM   #58
astrodad
Guru

I do. I think it cheapens the fact that it stands alone as a work of art. But that's just me, I guess, since no one seems to agree with me. I'll leave it at that, and leave it alone.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:35 AM   #59
stepanok
Connoisseur
stepanok began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505
I tried reading a Harry Potter book about 2 years ago after my son went to one of the movie versions. I have never in my life read anything more neurotic and boring. I respect the fact that writing can be an alternative to psychotherapy and the woman was a bit less well off then and couldnt propably afford a doctor, however now that she can afford it i wish shed just concentare on that and spare us. Now we come to the next point.... who can read and enjoy this crap ?????.....
Old 08-20-2008, 05:48 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepanok View Post
I tried reading a Harry Potter book about 2 years ago after my son went to one of the movie versions. I have never in my life read anything more neurotic and boring. I respect the fact that writing can be an alternative to psychotherapy and the woman was a bit less well off then and couldnt propably afford a doctor, however now that she can afford it i wish shed just concentare on that and spare us. Now we come to the next point.... who can read and enjoy this crap ?????.....
Don't you think it's a little patronising to call it "crap" merely because you personally don't like it? Millions of people (including myself) do enjoy reading them. People do have different tastes.
Closed Thread