Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-18-2015, 09:20 AM   #46
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
just arrived

We our first pair arrived and I am working on getting the Kindle Fire 7 set up for a friend who is an older lady.

First off it does not work on my local libraries unsecured network correctly, I decided to pull it out while I was waiting for my cousin and it ran like crap and could not get it to connect to it. I finally gave up and waited until I got home to try again.

I noted that when I incorrectly entered my wi-fi password is that it just tries over and over to reconnect without ever giving you the message that your password is incorrect! You have to tell it to forget your password and re-enter it. That problem solved I was able to download some apps and other stuff for the Fire without too much problem.

It feels like the original Fire to me in its boxy shape and slightly thicker profile than the Fire HDX that I have. The cases material is a matte plastic that feels different than my Fire HDX which is more glossy. I like the location of the charging port at the top instead of the side. I did not overly notice the difference in DPI yet, but still trying to figure out all the new stuff.

It has a new user interface which is not impressing me. I can't seem to figure out how to remove a bunch of the pre-installed icons on the home screen which was on the requests of my friends (she likes as few icons as possible).

Anyway that is my initial thoughts, hopefully my own one will arrive on Monday!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:04 AM   #47
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post

First question, how do I search the Cloud / MyStuff for books ?

There is a display of all books I own, but a search goes to the Kindle Store.

Nothing in Help of course.
Next to the downloaded tab there is a tab labeled "all." Tap on that and you should be able to dowload a book from the cloud (those books without a checkmark).
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2015, 10:17 AM   #48
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I think all expectations should be preceded by "for $35-$50". For that price, I've been ecstatic with the Fire 7. I don't use it as a reading device, though Imhave read just fine on such screens before everything went "retina". Yes, higher res screens are nicer: but "for $35-$50"....
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:39 PM   #49
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I think all expectations should be preceded by "for $35-$50"
Absolutely (though it's £35-£50 for us in the UK). I wouldn't have bought one at £50, however for the £35 it cost me, I'm very happy with it.

It's mostly going to be used to store my recipes because I don't care if it ends up covered in flour or whatever else when I'm using it in the kitchen
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #50
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
Absolutely (though it's £35-£50 for us in the UK). I wouldn't have bought one at £50, however for the £35 it cost me, I'm very happy with it.

It's mostly going to be used to store my recipes because I don't care if it ends up covered in flour or whatever else when I'm using it in the kitchen
Be sure and set the screen to not go off after a few seconds.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2015, 06:24 PM   #51
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
Next to the downloaded tab there is a tab labeled "all." Tap on that and you should be able to dowload a book from the cloud (those books without a checkmark).
Indeed, but how do I search the cloud ?

'All' just shows me 2000 odd ebooks in various orders - no jump to "H authors" either

Oops, The search box does work but is picky and insists on "Harris, George", "George" etc "George Harris" or "Harris George" won't find anything in my Library so only the Kindle store results remain.

As I said, nothing in the User Guide.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:40 PM   #52
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK let me complain about Apps.

I have a Purchased App Battery+ but this doesn't appear on the cloud list.

Looking in the App Store

Your devices compatible with this app:

X LE's 7" Fire
X LE's Fire HD-1
X LE's Kindle Fire 2
X LE's Fire HDX

Since it runs fine on all the existing Fires that's nasty.

So I used ES to backup, copied the apk and installed it.

Newbies would have to use the free version with Ads.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:07 AM   #53
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I think all expectations should be preceded by "for $35-$50". For that price, I've been ecstatic with the Fire 7. I don't use it as a reading device, though Imhave read just fine on such screens before everything went "retina". Yes, higher res screens are nicer: but "for $35-$50"....
Exactly. Although it has a lower PPI than my Kindle Fire HD (2012) and far, far below my Nook HD, it is a great little tablet/reader for $35. my Fire HD isn't upgradable to Fire OS so this was a nice and inexpensive way to have some extended time with Fire OS. If I find that it works well for me then I can feel more confident splurging for one of the more expensive, higher-spec'ed Fire tablets.

Having support for SD cards is terrific. One nice addition is that books that are side-loaded using Calibre Companion appear within the same display/listing as kindle books. (This might be old news for most, but this is my first experience with FireOS)
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:30 PM   #54
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Indeed, but how do I search the cloud ?

'All' just shows me 2000 odd ebooks in various orders - no jump to "H authors" either

Oops, The search box does work but is picky and insists on "Harris, George", "George" etc "George Harris" or "Harris George" won't find anything in my Library so only the Kindle store results remain.

As I said, nothing in the User Guide.
Try using the sort tab.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-12-21-15-25-19[1].png
Views:	316
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	144788  
Old 12-21-2015, 08:21 PM   #55
Little.Egret
Wizard

Quote:
Try using the sort tab.
How does author order (say) help with 2000+ books and no jump to "H authors" ?
Old 12-21-2015, 08:39 PM   #56
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
It has been awhile since I looked for books on a fire but I do believe that one needs to be fairly specific in the search.
Make sure you are in the books tab. Click on either Cloud or Device. Type in the word you want example Harris. Then do either recent, author or title.
Note the first book it sorted by author in my cloud was Pattie Boyd's Wonderful Tonight: George Harrison, etc.
Note the dang thing will not just give you Harris authors.
Yes, I grabbed my Fire.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:09 PM   #57
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic

Quote:
Two words: Cloud Collections.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201588880
Old 12-22-2015, 09:39 AM   #58
Little.Egret
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
It has been awhile since I looked for books on a fire but I do believe that one needs to be fairly specific in the search.
Make sure you are in the books tab. Click on either Cloud or Device. Type in the word you want example Harris. Then do either recent, author or title.

It seems you can't view the search results by recent, author or title and the search can't be limited to Device.

Boo!
Old 12-22-2015, 09:44 AM   #59
Little.Egret
Wizard

Quote:
"Tip: If you have items added to your Home screen below the carousel, you can quickly create a collection by pressing and sliding the item over another item."

The Fire 7" Tab (2015) hasn't got a Carousel

And I assume I have to add almost all 2000+ to a Collection before I get significant benefit ?
Old 12-22-2015, 11:21 AM   #60
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic

Quote:
"Tip: If you have items added to your Home screen below the carousel, you can quickly create a collection by pressing and sliding the item over another item."

The Fire 7" Tab (2015) hasn't got a Carousel

And I assume I have to add almost all 2000+ to a Collection before I get significant benefit ?
Try using calibre to manage your +2000 collection on your other devices.

www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=236

The Fire 7 ain't a good device to read lots of books anyways.