Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-24-2008, 07:56 AM   #46
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But why isn't Bookeen telling people of the 538 firmware for those that have the older version at the least? It is silly that people have to read about it on a non-Bookeen run/supported forum and then have to go request to get it.
That's a fair point.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:00 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I have no idea if the actual bugs are fixed since the observed behaviour could be a coincidence . I know from other threads that you know about bugs that are not fixed so I do not understand why you claim they are fixed here.
I'm certainly not claiming that ALL the bugs have been fixed; just the ones that I'm aware of. The "biggie" for me was the fact that, with the original firmware, about 1 in 3 attempts to look up a word in my dictionary would result in the Gen3 either hanging up or rebooting. The fact that that's been fixed alone makes the v538 firmware a big deal for me personally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2008, 08:06 AM   #48
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I think the main think Bookeen ought to do , is improve their communication with customers .
It is not good enough to have to wait a week for no reply to 5 e-mails .
It would probably do Bookeen no harm to pop into these forums on occasion ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:17 AM   #49
adelheid
Zealot
adelheid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
So they only released it to a few customers at a time, only to ones that were complaining
I thought the firmware now offered by Bookeen to complaining customers is the build which is already present on the Cybook since at least halfway December (build 538). I didn't think anyone received a more recent build, or did they?
adelheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:15 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelheid View Post
I thought the firmware now offered by Bookeen to complaining customers is the build which is already present on the Cybook since at least halfway December (build 538). I didn't think anyone received a more recent build, or did they?
That's correct. All Gen3's have been shipping with the updated firmware since the start of the year.
Advert
Old 03-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #51
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelheid View Post
You're right, I forgot that. In that case I don't know how to explain what they're doing.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #52
pmwt
Enthusiast
pmwt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo HD
Just a general thought on the upcoming firmware upgrade. I wonder how Bookeen will rollout the upgrade. I hope this will be done via their website's new "download" page. Any other way will probably be messy.
pmwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:35 PM   #53
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
You're right, I forgot that. In that case I don't know how to explain what they're doing.
I believe there will be an upgrade within a week or so, but I could be wrong. It would be nice - but then the only thing we have to go on is that sometime last month they promised us in March.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:07 AM   #54
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
And in first days of January they promised us an update in the first quarter of a year too. We'll see...
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #55
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm certainly not claiming that ALL the bugs have been fixed; just the ones that I'm aware of. The "biggie" for me was the fact that, with the original firmware, about 1 in 3 attempts to look up a word in my dictionary would result in the Gen3 either hanging up or rebooting. The fact that that's been fixed alone makes the v538 firmware a big deal for me personally.
It might not hang or reboot, but it also doesn't find the word half the time - even though the word is in the dictionary. I started checking in the Desktop Reader every time a word isn't found on the cybook (which is often) and every single time the word has been in the dictionary. The cybook just doesn't find it.

I repeat: at these prices, these things should have been worked out before putting this thing for sale, and in this case, advertising dictionary integration.

Oh, and why did they sell something that would hang or reboot when you tried to use the dictionary in the first place? Is it not very obvious that that should have been worked out before selling the product? It is extremely obvious to me that Bookeen is all about selling and not about quality or customer service. How do I know? They keep selling and sellng and selling and not improving the quality or providing customer service. How is that not obvious to everyone?

And by the way I wrote to ask about any more software updates and shockingly, didn't get any reply.

Last edited by cmbs; 03-25-2008 at 12:16 PM.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
Oh, and why did they sell something that would hang or reboot when you tried to use the dictionary in the first place?
Perhaps it didn't happen with the dictionaries that they tried it with? From what's been posted here, many dictionaries worked just fine. Unfortunately, the one I bought (Chambers) didn't.

They've fixed the bug (and promptly, too). That's the important thing, as far as I'm concerned. It shows that they do act on customer feedback.

Quote:
They keep selling and sellng and selling and not improving the quality or providing customer service.
But they ARE improving the quality. They fixed lots of bugs in the 538 firmware. Don't you think that counts as "improving the quality"?

Quote:
And by the way I wrote to ask about any more software updates and shockingly, didn't get any reply.
In a reply I got from them a couple of weeks ago they said:

Quote:
The first official upgrade will be released in March.
As I said, though, in my previous message; if you are as unhappy with your Gen3 as you sound, perhaps you'd be better off just selling it? You don't appear to be at all happy with it.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #57
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Christine ,
Looked in your blog for the mobi books at the foot of the front page . All the links fail ..
Old 03-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #58
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps it didn't happen with the dictionaries that they tried it with? From what's been posted here, many dictionaries worked just fine. Unfortunately, the one I bought (Chambers) didn't.

They've fixed the bug (and promptly, too). That's the important thing, as far as I'm concerned. It shows that they do act on customer feedback.

But they ARE improving the quality. They fixed lots of bugs in the 538 firmware. Don't you think that counts as "improving the quality"?

As I said, though, in my previous message; if you are as unhappy with your Gen3 as you sound, perhaps you'd be better off just selling it? You don't appear to be at all happy with it.

And maybe you should quit finding excuses for them.

I sincerely doubt most people check their dictionaries on their desktop when a word isn't found on their cybook. I thought the dictionary I'd bought was no good, until one day it occurred to me to check on my pc. Turns out the dictionary is good, the cybook isn't. So most people wouldn't even be aware that this is something lacking in the cybook.

It's not fixed, and it's been how many months? Nor are any of the other bugs fixed.

What is your excuse why they sold a bad product to begin with?
What is your excuse why they continue selling without making fixes?
What is your excuse why they don't answer customer emails?
What is your excuse why they'd produce an upgrade and then neglect to tell their customers about it and make it freely available?
Why do you keep making excuses for them?

I don't want to encourage people to buy a product like this, I wouldn't buy another Bookeen product. I think you're doing your fellow readers a disservice by continually defending and excusing this behavior and encouraging people to buy their product. I say spend your money on a better product and a better company.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #59
cmbs
non-believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Christine ,
Looked in your blog for the mobi books at the foot of the front page . All the links fail ..
Thanks Geoff. I don't know why that happens, it's Ripway. If you try later you will probably be able to get them. The files are there and the urls are correct. If you want to send me an email I'll send you whatever books you want. There is a link to email me in the box with the books it says "let me know".
Old 03-25-2008, 12:54 PM   #60
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
And maybe you should quit finding excuses for them.

I sincerely doubt most people check their dictionaries on their desktop when a word isn't found on their cybook. I thought the dictionary I'd bought was no good, until one day it occurred to me to check on my pc. Turns out the dictionary is good, the cybook isn't. So most people wouldn't even be aware that this is something lacking in the cybook.

It's not fixed, and it's been how many months? Nor are any of the other bugs fixed.

What is your excuse why they sold a bad product to begin with?
What is your excuse why they continue selling without making fixes?
What is your excuse why they don't answer customer emails?
What is your excuse why they'd produce an upgrade and then neglect to tell their customers about it and make it freely available?
Why do you keep making excuses for them?

I don't want to encourage people to buy a product like this, I wouldn't buy another Bookeen product. I think you're doing your fellow readers a disservice by continually defending and excusing this behavior and encouraging people to buy their product. I say spend your money on a better product and a better company.
Ouch !