Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-10-2010, 11:40 PM   #46
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Oh well, maybe someday.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #47
alex_edge
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OncTech View Post
My hypothesis is they want to prevent piracy of paid apps, under the flawed logic that non-phone devices are more hackable due to the lack of cell carrier meddling/stranglehold/rooting counter-measures. This kinda makes sense if you think about unlocked/non-carrier subsidized android phone in other nations, which also cannot access the market. Also, American cell phones these days are highly traceable. For example did you know if you call 911, the dispatcher instantly knows your full name, home address, and exact GPS coordinates, and that you can't hang up until he or she lets you or you rip out the battery? While they might ask your name and location anyway, they're really just trying hide this fact.

Back to the topic of working around this block, now that root access is easy on the eDGe, maybe we can make use of this: http://code.google.com/p/market-enabler/
I've been thinking again about this, and now I wonder: why can't we install the google apps on edge? Those are free, and you would think pretty integral to the Android OS, and yet those are blocked as well. Is that google's doing, or something else?

Advert
Old 12-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #48
Snepscheut
Edge User

Hello all,

All I was trying to point out is that it is possible to have Google market and other programs on a tablet without phone functions.
So please be carefull trying apps that ar'nt ment to be working on the edge!

Maybe there is someone who is smart enough to do the same as the archosfan and makes an app for the egde to enable Google market etc.

I surely hoop there is.

Jos

Old 12-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #49
joann504
Edge User

I am having trouble with Astro. I followed all the steps everything went fine until I tried to backup app files with Astro. It says it cannot create directory to back up to. I tried to create the directory manually but it won't let me create a new directory. I uninstalled then reinstalled Astro and it did the same thing. Has anyone else had any problems with Astro?

Last edited by joann504; 12-20-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:38 AM   #50
gmsj
Edge User

Thanks for that Nia. That installed like a breeze.

Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 01:10 PM   #51
cmenger22
Edge User

Question... Regarding the rooting and changing the OS, which is becoming more and more tempting because I am losing patience with the lack of movement with the promises. What is the impact to the reader side? Will the OS and the reader lose their inter-connectivity?

Old 12-31-2010, 01:15 PM   #52
borisb
Edge User

The reader side and corresponding LCD side interactivity are three apps that enTourage has written/customized, namely the Reader, the Journal, and the Library apps. Rooting will not affect these. Changing the OS will basically mean you'll lose these and any apps that enTourage has written/customized themselves if the existing binaries aren't compatible with the new OS, including the drivers for the eInk side. The eink display will remain available to you as a second monitor, although you'll probably need to acquire/customize the display & input drivers for it (much like robot did in his experimentations).

Old 01-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #53
Mr. eBookie
Edge User

I am not sure whether my concern should be under enTourage eDGe help ; however, it is related to loading non-enTourage store apps onto the EE via the emulator method.

I have been extremely successful with the emulator method for installing applications. I have a fairly high confidence level that once an app was installed and an update occurred, the eDGe was made aware and allow me to install the app's update. However, I am no longer obtaining notifications of updated applications.

Was I dreaming that update notifications were occurring on my EE? If such updates are a reality, are there any troubleshooting guidance that can be provided? If not, any workarounds short of having the emulator get updated and going through the backup/Dropbox method?

Thanks in advance for the dialog.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #54
borisb
Edge User

If an app doesn't itself check periodically for updates, then there's nothing natively installed on the eDGe to check for app updates (other than the enTourage Update app which only checks for updates to the enTourage firmware and provides a notification if you have Auto Update Notification enabled).

However, both the Slideme.org and AndAppStore.com market apps will check for updates for apps you have installed that also exist in their markets (doesn't matter if you installed it from there) and give you the corresponding notification.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #55
Mr. eBookie
Edge User

Thank you.

I do now remember that the notifications came from SlideMe and AndAppStore. I will doublecheck whether any apps I know have been updated (I also am a Droid 1 owner) are provided by those two services.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #56
myst
Edge User

Astro

Quote:
Originally Posted by joann504 View Post
I am having trouble with Astro. I followed all the steps everything went fine until I tried to backup app files with Astro. It says it cannot create directory to back up to. I tried to create the directory manually but it won't let me create a new directory. I uninstalled then reinstalled Astro and it did the same thing. Has anyone else had any problems with Astro?
You have to put in a number for memory for the sdcard, I chose 512 and worked fine.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #57
dave.cox
Edge User

Quote:
To obtain an free, non-copy protected app, use the market to download and install it. Then, use Astro to back up that app, which creates an APK file. Then, use Dropbox to upload the file. Access Dropbox from your eDGe to download the APK file and install it.
I couldn't get the market thing to work, but what I wanted most, was a way to get some apps that I use regular on my Android phone, to work on the Edge. This does that.

Except, you don't have to have the dropbox. I just copy the apk to my network drive from my phone, and then copy to my PE from the network drive over the Wifi.

Dave

Last edited by dave.cox; 03-06-2011 at 02:18 PM.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #58
sbgbs
Edge User

Installed emulator and entered gmail account, but when trying to download an app, I got a message that there is no phone number associated with that account. Any suggestions?

Old 05-14-2011, 12:38 AM   #59
EmScape
Edge User

I installed the emulator and it has market access, but it can't find Astro File Manager in the market. It also won't find either of the apps I wanted to use this to install which were Cool Reader (I have tons of ebooks in .rtf format) and Crosswords (Standalone is the developer). So, I am quite disappointed.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:32 AM   #60
Filark
Edge User

From a Google search ("cool reader apk") it looks like you can download Cool Reader here: http://www.4shared.com/file/3_5uo1Il/Cool_Reader.html. I didn't look for Astro or your Crosswords app.

Good luck!