Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 08-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #46
janvangastel
Edge User

Is it possible to elaborate a little on how Edge users will profit from the fact that the code is made public?

Old 08-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #47
pat.indie
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janvangastel View Post
Is it possible to elaborate a little on how Edge users will profit from the fact that the code is made public?
A good question...I would like an answer too.

Personally, I would prefer that Entourage focused on getting their software updates out ASAP than spending their time+ effort releasing codes. I am just a simpleton user (who is not a postal worker). I just want to use my device and get all major software updates from Entourage. I have previously tried custom developed firmwares for some devices (ie Rockbox for one of my mp3 players) and have almost always gone back to official software releases. I trusted Entourage enough the buy the darn thing from them. I think I will also trust them with my future software needs.

Last edited by pat.indie; 08-22-2010 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Changed d***n to darn

Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #48
robot
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janvangastel View Post
You'll get 100.000USD worsed books, apps, and other software released for free. Is it big enough profit for You, or you talked about hard cash? Public code mean benefit for developers (for BOTH sides: community developers, and EE developers, as code is free to use for anyone), and users get benefit from the work of developers.
You can look at my samples of what can be done with EE on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1VHow7G2Ms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFGQS88V7fU
e.t.c.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #49
robot
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat.indie View Post
Personally, I would prefer that Entourage focused on getting their software updates out ASAP than spending their time+ effort releasing codes.
Irony. I also would prefer that EE made software fixes and firmware updates if non ASAP, but at least at reasonable time. But for an unknown reason, the things which good programmer can fix in one hour, EE spending few weeks. You can search for bug reports\updates list and check by yourself (and I'm not even talking about feuture request section). So for myself, I decided that it is much faster to do what I want by my own and not wait until EE will make something.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #50
pat.indie
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
Irony. I also would prefer that EE made software fixes and firmware updates if non ASAP, but at least at reasonable time. But for an unknown reason, the things which good programmer can fix in one hour, EE spending few weeks. You can search for bug reports\updates list and check by yourself (and I'm not even talking about feuture request section). So for myself, I decided that it is much faster to do what I want by my own and not wait until EE will make something.
Robot, I understand. And I have been following the discussion regarding this with utmost interest. Also, I agree about the bugs/issues. There are a few (I have cribbed about the updates myself in one of my earlier posts). However, a common user such as I, does not have the technical expertise to do what you are doing. Also, I understand that once developed, you guys will be posting the updated firmware for all users. However, I am not sure I will readily install the firmware since I am not technically adept enough to fix any possible errors. I am reasonably happy with the EE right now since I can use it as was intended; an e-ink reader with a LCD tablet attached. Please do not get me wrong. I do appreciate what you guys are doing, but I would rather wait for the official EE releases.

I wish all you developers all the luck.

Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #51
Chubulor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat.indie View Post
Personally, I would prefer that Entourage focused on getting their software updates out ASAP than spending their time+ effort releasing codes.
It shouldn't take any significant time and effort to release codes. I'm mystified by the delay myself, unless they failed to keep GPL code and proprietary code separate during the development process, which is a pretty huge no-no considering they are required to release GPL-based code to customers immediately upon shipping the Edge (ie, five months ago).

Quote:
I am just a simpleton user (who is not a postal worker).
That's the second time you've mentioned that. Overcompensating? I also noticed that you've never criticized the postal service on this forum, and have never reacted favorably to someone criticizing the postal service. You tell me: what conclusion am I supposed to draw?

Quote:
Also, I understand that once developed, you guys will be posting the updated firmware for all users. However, I am not sure I will readily install the firmware since I am not technically adept enough to fix any possible errors.
You may be able to wait on the sidelines while early adopters iron out any bugs in the custom firmware and only install it after these bugs are tracked down and eliminated. Obviously if you want to wait for Entourage that's your choice, though. I suspect that some of the possible features of the custom firmware are going to be a long way off, if ever, if you wait for Entourage...

Old 08-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #52
Chubulor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsteve View Post
What about Chess on e-ink side?
Aren't there apps already for chess on the LCD? I don't see what the advantage of eink would be.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #53
pat.indie
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubulor View Post
That's the second time you've mentioned that. Overcompensating?
Not a chance, Sir. I so wish I was a postal employee so one day I could go postal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubulor View Post
You may be able to wait on the sidelines while early adopters iron out any bugs in the custom firmware and only install it after these bugs are tracked down and eliminated.
Again, wrong. I am not holding my breath for any custom firmware, ironed or wrinkled.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #54
dontpanic
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
After spending six hours trying to compile the kernel (under widows using cygwin+arm-elf, and under ubuntu using CodeSourcery arm crosscompiler)...

dontpanic, I don't want to start flame and assume that the source code is complete, but it would be nice, if you also publish the ".config" file used to compile the latest version of the kernel and if you tell us which compiler you're using.

Thanks.

p.s. also didn't see gstreamer source code (it's used as part of video player).
Robot:

Okay, this is what I got back from engineering. They are looking into the gstreamer issue still.

--- The config file was published as part of the kernel source: see arch/arm/configs/pxa168_edge_defconfig. What we provided was a "clean" kernel, i.e. no .config file. To build kernel...

$ make ARCH=arm pxa168_edge_defconfig
$ make ARCH=arm

--- The compiler we use is the one provided with Android 1.6_r2 source, under prebuilt/linux-x86. (see
http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=pla....git;a=summary) The specific version is...

jb@jbxa168-linux-2.6.29$ arm-eabi-gcc --version arm-eabi-gcc (GCC) 4.2.1 Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

DP

Old 08-27-2010, 05:05 AM   #55
robot
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
$ make ARCH=arm pxa168_edge_defconfig
That's exactly how I tried to compile for the first time and there's were some fatal errors. So I thought that machine used by EE's enginers contain some additional envirement settings (configs,
sym links e.t.c.) or there's problem whith compiler. Currently I'm busy with abother project, so I'll check it when new firmware will be released.
Thanks.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #56
dontpanic
Edge User

Robot,

Okay we just checked it again and it worked on our side. When you get a chance, can you PM me a trace of what you see when you try to make it? Also, I have the GStreamer source now and will get it put up on the Knowledge Base links.

DP

Old 08-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #57
dontpanic
Edge User

Okay, the GStreamer source has been added. Sorry for the omission.

DP

Old 08-27-2010, 01:27 PM   #58
jcase
Edge User

I haven't checked, been busy (if anyone of you pays attention to tech news sites you know why), is the full config included in the source as of right now? Can someone shoot me an email at justin<at>androidpolice.com when the new update is live, so I can get a writeup posted?

Justin Case

Old 09-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #59
robot
Edge User

Hope to get new source code to work with on this weekend.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #60
robot
Edge User

My official apologies to dontpanic..., there were problems with developing machine I used for kernel testing.
So to all... I buyed new developing computer, setted all stuff needed and was able to build kernel..,
So now will wait for GPL source update and will work on Froyo.