Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-22-2007, 09:50 PM   #46
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
My daughter and I drove a Smart Car in Vancouver a couple of years ago. She wanted one, but ended up with the Prius. I think the Chinese "City Smart" clone of the Smart Car is available in electric. I saw one here recently and there is a dealer in town. The rock-bottom price is less than 30,000 RMB -- three quarters the price of the QQ. The manufacturers want to sell it in Europe. I think it is great that there are 3rd world forces bringing down the cost of cars after the Japanese led the big raise in prices in the 80s. I know the cheap goods from Asia cause some of you difficulty. I hope things even out for everyone.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:47 AM   #47
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
In 2000 in Montreal there was an EV Symposium. They had the good sense of renting the Gilles Villeneuve race track where 8 electric cars were offered anyone(with driving permit) to try. I drove 4 models. Complete and utter revelation! I saw the future right there! The silence, the performance... what a delight! And still today, there is no way to find a commercially made, legally street worthy electric car in America!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2007, 10:35 AM   #48
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

In the early 80s, HM Vehicles in Burnsville Minnesota built a 3-wheeled car called the Freeway. It came in gas and electric models. I was on the waiting list for a new one when they suddenly went out of business. Years later I picked one up -- a perfect specimen. It was a 1981 gas model and was in great condition. I had a chance to drive an electric one back in the day too. They were pretty peppy.
Click image for larger version

Name:	frwy1.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	5064 Click image for larger version

Name:	frwy4.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	5065 Click image for larger version

Name:	frwy3.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	5066
I flew out to Chicago to buy the Freeway and tried to drive it home to Washington State. I got as far as Milwaukee and decided it was too much of a go-cart to take across the Rocky Mountains. I loaded into a U-Haul and trucked it home. It was the icon for our 4-H car washes for a few years and it rode in a few parades.

Last edited by mogui; 08-23-2007 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:50 AM   #49
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It looks like the Sparrow, an EV from California.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:30 AM   #50
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
And still today, there is no way to find a commercially made, legally street worthy electric car in America!
I know of one: http://www.teslamotors.com/buy/buyPage1.php
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2007, 11:56 AM   #51
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
The Tesla is a fine prototype, still. Its début was slated for next year and already major design problems have changed the date. According to the reporters of autoblog green, in their podcast, it is said that there will be changes at the company's helm. We all know that a small company's strength is usually provided by the creator. All said the Tesla is still uncertain at this point in time. But oh! what a racer that would be!
Old 09-03-2007, 08:01 PM   #52
mogui
eNigma

Off-topic news re electric cars

This Cnet article is a survey of available electric cars called, "Electric vehicles you can buy right now". Photos included. Enjoy!

BTW there was mention of electric cars earlier in this thread.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:10 AM   #53
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
This Cnet article is a survey of available electric cars called, "Electric vehicles you can buy right now". Photos included. Enjoy!

BTW there was mention of electric cars earlier in this thread.
Looks like a mouse with zebra stribes to me
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:54 AM   #54
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Their availability is just like the Sony reader's. One country. For the cars, it's impossible to certify them here. The petrol lobby is too strong. Every attempt so far has been doomed.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:32 AM   #55
anathema
Enthusiast
anathema began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Back to readers..I dont if something couldnt actually succeed on a subscription model once the tech matures in such a way that they use them kind of like cell phones.

Give the reader for free on a commitment to buy 15 books within the year or something. Then you keep the reader and keep paying. Make it NOT running linux so it isnt very hackable..only capable of playing your format etc. Just like a cell phone, but for books.

Sounds draconian, but if I was offered a free iliad quality device(with proper battery life, i would never put up with a measly 11 hours, i'd burn thru that in a weekend) and the books were as cheap or cheaper (cheaper!) than paper books, i would certainly consider it, just like I buy my cellphone for so cheap on a contract without a problem.
anathema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:36 PM   #56
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by anathema View Post
Give the reader for free on a commitment to buy 15 books within the year or something.
Filament Book Club uses this model with the ETI-2 (the same unit eBookwise sells outright) and it works well enough that they've been in business for a while. I don't think Filament is as big as eBookwise, but some people do sign up for their purchasing model.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:42 PM   #57
modsoul
Enthusiast
modsoul began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Stuart View Post
Hello,

Are there any indications that e-book readers will ever get below US$200 and thus actually reach the impulse purchase area for the average consumer ?
i got my sony reader for 58 bucks. not bad eh.
modsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:42 PM   #58
nairbv
Connoisseur
nairbv began at the beginning.

Device: still looking for an ebook reader device
It's kind of funny how many of us are in China. I'm in Dalian (大连)。。

anyways, does anyone know anything about this M218A? Is it e-ink or not? I'm looking for something here, ... but for both the hanlin's and iliads they charge a lot more if buying from inside China.

I at a bare minimum want to find something with a high-resolution 6" or greater diagonal passive black-and-white lcd, ... though if going that road I would want it to be cheap. Ideally I'm trying to find an e-ink reader, but I don't want to pay an idiot tax on it.

from the pictures this M218A thing looks like it might be e-ink... and the ad says "22 hours or a month on standby" ... anyone have more information? anyone used one? is it any good? it looks like it's cheaper than the hanlin from what I see...
nairbv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:58 PM   #59
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairbv View Post
... but I don't want to pay an idiot tax on it.
We prefer the term "Early Adoption Premium."
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:06 AM   #60
nairbv
Connoisseur
nairbv began at the beginning.

Device: still looking for an ebook reader device
@natch: I was referring to the fact that the iliad and the hanlin cost $100 more if purchased within China. I don't know much about the iliad but wrt the hanlin, it's *made* in China, and regardless of if I'm buying from inside or outside of China, I'd be ordering directly from the tianjin based company which would be shipping it to me. When I tell them I'm located *in* China the price goes up a hundred bucks, and they can't give me any kind of explination besides that it's their "product policy." I can understand an "early adoption premium," I know these things are expensive, but the deal with the hanlin just seems like an idiot tax.
nairbv is offline   Reply With Quote