Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #46
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightGeometry View Post
Why would anyone pay for books from Amazon (or any other ebook store), because often it is the best thing to do. However, if a book isn't made available, or is unreasonably priced, then a person may decided they will get it somewhere else.
iTunes has proven consumers will pay for stuff they could otherwise get for free. It's about honesty, convenience, and, vaguely, a sense of fair play.

But it is somewhat fragile as you note:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightGeometry View Post
That is all way off topic, so just to give some semblance of being on topic for £5 I may buy the occasional Bond book. The ones I have read are pretty rubbish, in my opinion, but occasionally entertaining, mostly in a 'can it really have been acceptable to say that' way. They are in the strange category where i'd not bother downloading them, they just don't appeal enough, but I could imagine being on holiday, fancying reading one and just grabbing the Kindle copy.
Which is why backlist titles need to be both commercially available and "reasonably" price for the copyright owner to prosper. If, on summer holiday, I read "Dr. No" on my Kindle, it's a no brainer to think I might be interested in buying "Moonraker" as an impulse follow-up. Click-click-click and a few dollars later its on my Kindle ... it's all good. But if I can't find it ... and Google says ... check this torrent here ... and while you're at it here's the complete Ian Fleming works attached ... Danger, Will Robinson!

iTunes has been a huge success because it is reasonably priced for what you get and easy to use (once you know how and have the devices embedded to use it). It hasn't stopped piracy ... but it has enabled ecommerce for the vast majority of consumer who would have been willing to pay for the product in the first place. That is what Amazon (and Kobo and others) aspire to do in the ebook space. For current material, it's a proven model. For backlist, still in "proof of concept" stage. I'm optimistic for the endgame outcome.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:55 PM   #47
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
A year or so back I bought a boxed set of all 14 Fleming Bond books for $25 or so, brand new, at Costco. That seemed like great price to me, but I'm not sure at what price I would have hit the, "it doesn't seem worth it for a bunch of 50 year old popular fiction books", point.

I can say for sure, though, that it would have been way, way, way short of $140, or $10 a book.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #48
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
A year or so back I bought a boxed set of all 14 Fleming Bond books for $25 or so, brand new, at Costco. That seemed like great price to me, but I'm not sure at what price I would have hit the, "it doesn't seem worth it for a bunch of 50 year old popular fiction books", point.

I can say for sure, though, that it would have been way, way, way short of $140, or $10 a book.
This is a great example of "monetizing" the backlist assets. Bundling up overstock of the paperbacks and still getting the consumer to pay $25 for 14 books is terrific. Much better than landfill. And, really ... have you read all 14 books since? Perhaps one or two or three? Net cost to you: might be pushing $6 to10 a read. You're happy: you "got a deal", bought something on impulse, and have some potential for a rainy day read.

It's exactly the approach that's needed for backlist ebooks. Price them to sell and market them in a variety of ways to different consumer audiences. It might be as simple as $8 a title but "This weekend say Yes to Dr. No: Treat yourself to an Amazon Bond Four Pack for $17.95".
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #49
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
A year or so back I bought a boxed set of all 14 Fleming Bond books for $25 or so, brand new, at Costco.
Now see, if they did something like that with ebooks and whole series, they wouldnt have this problem. If they priced all of the Ian Fleming books at $25, then the other authors in bundles for $25 theyd sell like hotcakes. But they wont do that.
NVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #50
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVash View Post
Now see, if they did something like that with ebooks and whole series, they wouldnt have this problem. If they priced all of the Ian Fleming books at $25, then the other authors in bundles for $25 theyd sell like hotcakes. But they wont do that.
I would happily pay $25 for all of the Flemming Bond books as e-books.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2010, 11:01 AM   #51
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
This is a great example of "monetizing" the backlist assets. Bundling up overstock of the paperbacks and still getting the consumer to pay $25 for 14 books is terrific. Much better than landfill. And, really ... have you read all 14 books since? Perhaps one or two or three? Net cost to you: might be pushing $6 to10 a read. You're happy: you "got a deal", bought something on impulse, and have some potential for a rainy day read.

It's exactly the approach that's needed for backlist ebooks. Price them to sell and market them in a variety of ways to different consumer audiences. It might be as simple as $8 a title but "This weekend say Yes to Dr. No: Treat yourself to an Amazon Bond Four Pack for $17.95".
I got to "The Spy Who Loved Me". Book 10 out of 14. Then I bought an ereader.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:25 AM   #52
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
That's funny - because buying the Wifi Kindle same price as all of those put together?
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #53
Russell Brooks
Fanatic
Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sweet! I'll have to check this one out.
Russell Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:37 AM   #54
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All the Bond ebooks are on Amazon UK at around the £4.50 mark. This is very much in line with other back-catalogue authors and seems pretty reasonable to me.

[I agree that around 7 is not too bad, sure]

So, a sometime later price check on amazon.com :-

I change country to UK and picking the first title that comes to mind :-

Diamonds are Forever - 8.86 - which says it includes VAT

and US, AU, NZ etc. price is - 9.59

So clearly they like to sell to the poms for less for these.

Looking up logged out on another browser, the amazon UK price is 5.61 pounds.

So gone up a whopping 25% for the Harrys of the world! Whereas down slightly for the rest, at least for this title.

Last edited by Blue Tyson; 02-28-2012 at 07:10 AM. Reason: squiggly pound non-existence
Old 02-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
[I agree that around 7 is not too bad, sure]

So, a sometime later price check on amazon.com :-

I change country to UK and picking the first title that comes to mind :-

Diamonds are Forever - 8.86 - which says it includes VAT

and US, AU, NZ etc. price is - 9.59

So clearly they like to sell to the poms for less for these.

Looking up logged out on another browser, the amazon UK price is $5.61

So gone up a whopping 25% for the Harrys of the world! Whereas down slightly for the rest, at least for this title.
Prices vary. Eg, "Dr No" is £4.27. Just to clarify, "Diamonds are Forever" costs £5.61, not $5.61. Presumably just a typo on your part
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #56
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

Yeah, just a typo. And also don't have a pommie keyboard. So never really thing of typing the squiggly.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #57
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

Vary for you - Doctor No is, wait for it :-

$9.59

Old 02-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Vary for you - Doctor No is, wait for it :-

$9.59

Is that the price for you in Australian $?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #59
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

US dollars. Prefer to leave it set that way to notice better prices when exchange rate goes the right way.

Or things like the local edition being priced in Australian dollars - so price goes up as exchange rate goes up - so if want to get, then go for the US one. etc.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #60
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Already have the video books, so I don't need the ebooks.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote