Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #46
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
As always rather strange approach when you need to modify every task to support multitasking.
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:29 AM   #47
Manolo
Addict
Manolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo AuraH2O & Onyx i62HD & M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbo View Post
As always rather strange approach when you need to modify every task to support multitasking.
Yes. I agree is quite strange. I though multitasking should be something implemented in the operating system and transparent to the apps ....
Manolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #48
vvilmos
Connoisseur
vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.

Device: Onyx M92, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbo View Post
Probably this is not a full multitasking but a method to keep some
programs in memory (at least partially).
I have not installed the update yet, and I wonder if a (large) download can be
continued while reading a book.

Last edited by vvilmos; 04-27-2013 at 09:35 AM.
vvilmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #49
Dolansky
Groupie
Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.

Device: HannsPad.10'.&.IQ(Farbinhalte), PB903,M92(Fachbuch), Kindle3
it works for me, while i open two pdf's and one scribble - i was able to manage a download of a medium big wiki-book i collected with an opened browser as a fourth task of course, but i don't tried to switch back to an opened pdf, while the browser is downloading something, so i stayed to watch it downloading in the browser, hence i can's say if it's a real multitasking or just an application-ram switching instead.

Last edited by Dolansky; 04-27-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Dolansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #50
Dolansky
Groupie
Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.

ok, i tried the following scenario ->

- opened a pdf 6MB
- open browser to access to my google drive account and download a 9MB PDF

while downloading i switched back to my opened pdf.
i read something in the pdf turned some pages, then while i am reading, the browser pop up a modal dialog told me the download was ready. it worked that way, vvilmos suggested.

it seems the application's use the internal linux operating system multitasking feature itself, hence it probably doesn't matter if booxtor's Taskmanager switched to the application which are allready in ram or he access the internal linux task-scheduler, filters e.g. the pdf type-processes to make it visible for us with his Taskmanager GUI.

if extended the above described scenario to full four task's, then u got a massive slowdown -> two big pdf opend,one scribble opened, while downloading something thru the browser as a fourth task.

Last edited by Dolansky; 04-28-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #51
vvilmos
Connoisseur
vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.

Device: Onyx M92, K3
Thank you Dolansky for the information.
It seems that the multitasking will work ok, the limitation
being determined by the small amount of ram in our readers.
vvilmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #52
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
The MT feature in the first post has been updated again
Now the dictionary (as sole applications) supports it too.
If you need it - just update as usual.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #53
divinorum
divinorum began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92
This is a great improvement. It would be even better if I could switch between tasks using the joystick as well as the pen.
divinorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #54
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
The MT feature in the first post has been updated again
Now the dictionary (as sole applications) supports it too.
If you need it - just update as usual.
Works But on the Firefly 128mb, when you're switching task from dictionary to book open in FBreader you have to tap the refresh screen icon for the change to take place, otherwise you're stuck at the dictionary screen. It's a minor annoyance though. Also if you try to rotate the dictionary screen while you're multitasking funny things will appear on screen (gray bands, garbled content) until you tap the screen with your finger, that will usually refresh the screen and fix things. Despite these small-ish bugs the MT is functional.
Oh yes, if you're using the latest official ML chinese firmware on the Firefly, installing the MT will disable the "switch the front light on when device starts or is woken from standby" option (the checkboxes in the settings simply disappear after installing MT). You'll have to switch the light on manually by long pressing the home button, like with older firmware.

Last edited by yayo; 04-29-2013 at 03:20 AM.
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #55
Dolansky
Groupie

Danke schön, Booxtor for adding dictionary to MT !

The dictionary started from the startup menu doesn't applied to the four task-rule like the explorer, therefore you can have four pdf opened and the sole dictionary as a 5th task. as well as the dictionaries opened within the pdf's e.g finally you can technically opened five dictionaries.

following scenario, i tried:

- open pdf 1 -> open dictionary within pdf -> dict1
- open pdf 2 -> open dictionary within pdf -> dict2
- open pdf 3 -> open dictionary within pdf -> dict3

the default opened the pdf-related dictionary at the bottom position.
all three dictionary-mini-windows lying upon each other, the last opened dictionaries stayed on top, in the described scenario it would be dict3.
even if you switch to pdf 2 you will see dict3, only if you re-focus dict2 to manually click again on the dict-icon in the statusbar.
it could a little bit more comfortable that the dictionary-window's - re-focus automatically with the corresponing recent focused pdf.

Last edited by Dolansky; 04-29-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #56
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, is it safe to delete the lib and apps folders and the update.oar file after installing MT or should I keep them?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #57
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayo View Post
So, is it safe to delete the lib and apps folders and the update.oar file after installing MT or should I keep them?
Hi,
update.oar is just a script to copy needed files into hidden system folder. Afterwards you can delete those files from your internal memory.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #58
yayo
Groupie

Thankkkks.

Btw, have you noticed that after installing MT the advanced front light options which are implemented in the latest Firefly firmware somehow disappear? Just FYI.

Last edited by yayo; 04-30-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #59
Dolansky
Groupie

i just realized that the RSS-Reader has allready the Task-Manager icon, perhaps thru a browser-wrapper.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #60
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
I've tried the multitasking feature, and I like it

But... you must use the stylus to change of task.You can't use the buttons. And if you choose the explorer, you haven't the option "Task Management" when you push the "home" button.

It will be nice to can use only the button.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote