Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-09-2023, 03:16 PM   #46
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
I'm not crazy about stores separating SF and fantasy (and separating fantasy into urban and dark fantasy). Some books are hard to classify. Also, books often get misshelved because they "look" like fantasy when they are really SF. But maybe it works better for most shoppers?
Or where books 1, 2, 6 & 7 in a septology are filed in SF and books 3, 4 & 5 are filed in fantasy which I ran into once at a local bookstore. Pretty much up to the person who was shelving the books.

I personally preferred shelving them together under SF&F
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 04:35 PM   #47
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Yes, there is smooth range between the two extremes.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2023, 10:14 PM   #48
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
We have a large B&N near me. I haven't been there in years. I need to go back. This thread has motivated me.

I remember when the kids were young, we always had a great time going there as a family. We had a standing offer for the kids - "We won't always buy you a toy, a video, or things like that, but we will always buy you books that you want." So we'd walk into that B&N store and their faces would just light up. The family would disperse on our own individual searches and meet up again in an hour or so to decide if the adventure was wrapping up or if it should continue for another hour before regrouping. Sometimes we'd run into each other in the store and say "hi!" in passing, before continuing on with our personal quests. The agreed upon "You want it, you can have it" rule (as long as it's a book) brought a sense of freedom and fun to everybody in the family.

Now that the kids are grown and moved out I don't go on these adventures anymore. I mostly get ebooks now, and most of them come from the library. Sitting at your computer doing searches is quite boring compared to the old days. Instant gratification to get the book. But no excited anticipation of the family bookstore trip.

I just went into The Boulder Bookstore last week for my first book signing. By my favorite author. And I was immediately thrown back into earlier years at the sights. I'm not kidding, it was actually thrilling and awe inspiring for me to see all the books on display. I was like a kid again myself. Because the book signing was my goal for the night, I did not do as much looking around and shopping as I would have liked. But I want to go back there. I just need to schedule a few hours to wander.

I think it's the bookstore experience that I like more so than paper books. I do like paper books, just staring at them even, but digital ones are more convenient and practical. Just being at a bookstore is so peaceful for me. It makes me feel happy. I had totally forgotten how great a bookstore is, but re-experienced the wonder at that book signing last Friday.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 03:06 AM   #49
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntsimp View Post
As far as I'm concerned, no one has yet come up with a replacement for the experience of discovering new books by wandering the physical bookshelves, whether at a bookstore or a library. It's why I still love Barnes & Noble. Amazon can't do that. Goodreads can't do it. I suppose it's possible in principle, but it hasn't happened yet.
"experience of discovering new books by wandering the physical bookshelves"

Amen. Amen!

I loved going to the local small newstand in a small college town nearby, but then the owner died. We used to talk Sci Fi books and authors all the time. He knew what the authors were up to. He asked me once if I wanted him to call me when some came in.
I told him, "No, I want the pleasure of scanning the rack and the surprise and excitement of seeing a new title."

It was a small store, so it didn't get everything, and then I would drive 25 miles one way to a BAM and 35 another way to a B&N. Now both those stores are considerably reduced in their offerings.

Last edited by frahse; 02-21-2023 at 03:12 AM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 10:04 AM   #50
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I went to my local B&N for the first time in a few months last night. The store is so different than what it was when I worked there part time a decade ago (when the first Nook came out, in fact).

Stores of B&N becoming a toy retailer with a sideline in books have been greatly exaggerated. At least at my store.

And handling the Pearl Pink Nook Glowlight 4 made me SO tempted to buy one.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert