Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-08-2013, 04:43 AM   #46
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
In that case, it sounds like this is a bug with the Adobe RMSDK renderer. There isn't anything we can do if it's overriding/ignoring CSS rules. You could report the bug to Kobo, but even if they decide they want to fix it I believe they would be stuck waiting for Adobe to fix the problem first.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:52 AM   #47
ibu
Addict
ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo H20, iPhone 6+, Macbook Pro
@Joel
I deleted the folder "/Digital Editions" now to exclude the influence of "Adobe renderer".

But that was just a guess. I don't know how to disable that renderer.

The epub test document I talk about is a valid self cleaned one.

In a german forum one talked about another way to disable hiphenation:
Manipulating the files hyph_de.dic and hyph_en.dic.

But I didn't checked that out in detail.

Independent of the hypenation:
I really like the option to embed extra css while sending an epub to the reader.

That's near the ease of an global css which is only possible for kepubs.

I hope I find a way to use that functionality.
ibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #48
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Deleting the "Digital Editions" won't do anything to the rendering. The only noticeable affect will be on annotations.

The Adobe RMSDK renderer is what is used to read an render epubs. There isn't a way to turn it off. Except to use the kepub renderer.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:16 AM   #49
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibu View Post
@Joel
I deleted the folder "/Digital Editions" now to exclude the influence of "Adobe renderer".

But that was just a guess. I don't know how to disable that renderer.
The way to disable the Adobe renderer is to use KePub files. All ePub files are always rendered in the Adobe RMSDK.

Quote:
In a german forum one talked about another way to disable hiphenation:
Manipulating the files hyph_de.dic and hyph_en.dic.

But I didn't checked that out in detail.
My plugin has directions on doing that, but only if your language code is de_DE.

Quote:
Independent of the hypenation:
I really like the option to embed extra css while sending an epub to the reader.

That's near the ease of an global css which is only possible for kepubs.

I hope I find a way to use that functionality.
I've told you once already that it is possible and both PeterT and I have told you once where to go for directions. You've identified a bug, hopefully reported it, and so you need to wait for that to be fixed. Perhaps there's something I'm missing but doesn't this mean that you already have found a way to do exactly what you want? I'll grant that it's not as nice as the KePub solution, but if you're looking to embed extra CSS when a book is sent to the reader wouldn't the option to embed extra CSS when a book is sent to the reader do what you want once the bug for no existing CSS files is fixed?
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #50
ibu
Addict
ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.

@Joel
Meanwhile I disabled the hyphenation via "KoboRoot.tgz" which contains hyph_de.dic and hyph_en.dic with a very high value for hiphenations.

That works fine.

To decide, if I really identified a bug I want to do some further tests. I don't want to report sth. as a bug, when I didn't test it carefully and reproducable for others.

To compare the "Kepub method" with the "kobo_extra.css method":
I prefer the last one, because I don't like the header in kepubs.

With my sentence "I hope I find a way to use that functionality" I meant, that I understood what you and Peter told me. But I just have to check out, if it's really a bug or I made any mistake in the configuration. That's all
Please be sure, I read your posts and advises carefully.

Sometimes it's not so easy to keep everything in mind, because reading and writing in English is quite challenging for me.

Thanks for you patience and all your help until now
Advert
Old 09-07-2013, 03:56 AM   #51
ibu
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
Not quite. It copies the rules in kobo_extra.css and adds them to every stylesheet file in the book. You won't find a new file in the ePub, but you will (should) find that every CSS file has been modified.
Edit:
I overlooked, that there was a new Calibre version. I updated and after that, it works like a charm.

@jgoguen
Thanks a lot @jgoguen for offering this great and useful plugin!

I tried to use kobo_extra.css but without success.

Steps to reproduce:

* latest Version of Calibre
* latest Version of KoboTouchExtended
* configuration of KTE: [x] Change CSS
(No other checkbox is selected)
* Kobo Glo with FW 2.8.1
* a valid EPUB
* a linked "default.css"
<link href="../Styles/default.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
* a valid kobo_extra.css in the main level of the device
* the EPUB is send to device via Calibre

Result:
The rules of kobo_extra.css have no effect.

When I look into the file, no rules have been added to the existing "default.css".

May be I make a stupid mistake.

I would be glad, if someone can help me to get kobo_extra.css working.
Thanks.

Last edited by ibu; 09-07-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:26 AM   #52
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ibu: Could you do a test in debug mode and post the log? And the contents of your kobo_extra.css.

To restart calibre in debug mode, right click the preferences button and select "Restart in debug mode". Calibre will restart and display a message about debug mode and the log. Send a book and close calibre. It will then display the log.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:45 AM   #53
ibu
Addict

@davidfor
Just some minutes ago I solved the problem - see the "edit section" in my post.
But thanks for your offer

Something else:
What do you think about an option to declare a path to a local "kobo_extra.css" instead of using a "kobo_extra.css" on the device?

I think, it's more comfortable for a user, when he could refer to his local "kobo_extra.css" in the configuration of KoboTouchExtended.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #54
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
@davidfor
Just some minutes ago I solved the problem - see the "edit section" in my post.
But thanks for your offer
I should have refreshed the thread before posting.
Quote:
Something else:
What do you think about an option to declare a path to a local "kobo_extra.css" instead of using a "kobo_extra.css" on the device?

I think, it's more comfortable for a user, when he could refer to his local "kobo_extra.css" in the configuration of KoboTouchExtended.
The root of the device was deliberately chosen to allow a different CSS for each device. Some of the changes would be constant across all devices, but, some would be different for the different models. Plus, for people that share a calibre library, they can easily set different CSS for their devices. When I did this, I also considered looking for a file on the SD card if it was installed and the book was sent there.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #55
ibu
Addict

@davidfor
Thanks for these hints. I agree, the position on the device offers more flexibility.

On my ToDo is to experiment with KoboPatcher.
My favorite way is central global stylesheet for all books, which is only offered for KEPUBs not for EPUBs.
But I dislike the header, which comes with KEPUBs, so much, that I do not use KEBUBs.
If KoboPatcher allows to disable the header even of KEPUBs (which I don't know), than the usage of KEPUBs is my choice.