Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-03-2015, 09:54 AM   #46
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I'm so glad that I am able to truly enjoy music and books without worrying whether or not they are in a "lossless" format. I've really truly tried to hear the difference between music in mp3 and flac format, and I can't hear it.
I can't hear it either. I don't use FLAC for the 0.1% better audio quality compared to 320 kbps mp3, I use it because it is future proof (or better, the most future proof of formats available today), even if it needs to be converted somewhere down the line.

Quote:
I also really don't care about the format of a book, as long as I can read it. Unfortunately, sometimes when publishers try to add fancy fonts and other formatting the book becomes unreadable to me (because of size, or in one particularly horrifying case, an author specifying text *color* which made the text appear faded when read using e-ink)
I've seen too many badly formatted e-books. I don't like the formatting of most Gutenberg books I've seen. The ones at Feedbooks are much better, in my opinion; the Barnes&Noble Classics are even better yet (but not free, except the ones they've given away).
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:53 AM   #47
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
There was some really excessive and intrusive hyphenation on the Kobo Touch for a while. You only notice it when it goes wrong.

Oddly, my old Kindle keyboard is the only reader I haven't had to constantly mess with to get settings I like. It wasn't broken, as far as I'm concerned. (But then I might not be getting this update anyway, with such an old device.)
I will have to pry my Kindle KB 3g out of my wife's hands to see it is installed.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2015, 11:56 AM   #48
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
The Bookerly type looks fine on my Fire. However, it does not improve readability for me due to my damaged eyesight. I switched back to Caecilia. I wish they had more font sizes in this font. It goes from larger to huge and I really prefer just-a-little larger.

My Kindle keyboards only have 1 font (same problem.. goes from larger to huge). However, it is quite readable although I had a preference for the fonts in my original ST. I have not checked to see if Bookerly downloads to the Paperwhite1. I turned wifi off on my Mom's paperwhite to save her battery power. Guess I'll have to leave it on for a day or two to get it to update to see what happens.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #49
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Well it's not a sharp knife for gosh sakes. Eating peas with a knife is not something I made up. People did/do it.

Anyway ... I'm already deeper into this analogy than I'd ever respect anyone else for going, soooooo ....
The Three Stooges ate peas off of a knife.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:44 PM   #50
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
The Bookerly type looks fine on my Fire. However, it does not improve readability for me due to my damaged eyesight. I switched back to Caecilia. I wish they had more font sizes in this font. It goes from larger to huge and I really prefer just-a-little larger.

My Kindle keyboards only have 1 font (same problem.. goes from larger to huge). However, it is quite readable although I had a preference for the fonts in my original ST. I have not checked to see if Bookerly downloads to the Paperwhite1. I turned wifi off on my Mom's paperwhite to save her battery power. Guess I'll have to leave it on for a day or two to get it to update to see what happens.
Save yourself the trouble: there is no update to the Paperwhite 1 (or any of the newer Kindle models for that matter) to add Bookerly. At this point, I regard it as 'unlikely' that PW1 will get any further updates (I think it has been over a year since the last one). But Amazon is welcome to surprise us.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2015, 04:15 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I have not checked to see if Bookerly downloads to the Paperwhite1. I turned wifi off on my Mom's paperwhite to save her battery power. Guess I'll have to leave it on for a day or two to get it to update to see what happens.
The original article clearly stated that the Bookerly font would only become available on eInk Kindles "later in the year".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:08 PM   #52
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
The Kindle Fire HD 6" already has an upgrade and it looks great. Not only the font, spacing etc. but the TOC as well.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:47 PM   #53
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The original article clearly stated that the Bookerly font would only become available on eInk Kindles "later in the year".
I hope it is soon. I would really like to see it on the Voyage.
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:21 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadele View Post
I hope it is soon. I would really like to see it on the Voyage.
I suspect we'll see new firmware shortly after the release of the PW3.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:23 AM   #55
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Can someone please explain what the phrase "a Humanist based typeface" actually MEANS?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:40 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Can someone please explain what the phrase "a Humanist based typeface" actually MEANS?
See:

http://ilovetypography.com/2007/11/0...gy-humanist-2/
Old 07-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #57
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Ahhh! Venetian typefaces. I thought Amazon was trying to hitch a ride on the politically correct love train!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:07 PM   #58
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I got another message from Amazon about updates today. They updated the mail app part of Kindle Fire.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:16 PM   #59
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...erif_typefaces
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote