Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #46
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Being monolingual, I can't really provide words in "other" languages, now can I? I was hoping to attract more MR regulars to the Lounge with the last two threads (said the spider to the fly).
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:15 PM   #47
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
so that's your cunning plan...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2008, 10:31 PM   #48
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Shhh... they won't know what hit 'em.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:13 PM   #49
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
@ Zelda: Generally, we call wimmin like that a "petit Fleur."
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:34 PM   #50
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Don't be squeamish, now, tell her the actual term: squeamish.

Pronunciation: \ˈskwē-mish\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English squaymisch, modification of Anglo-French escoymous
Date: 15th century

a: easily nauseated : queasy
b: affected with nausea

a: excessively fastidious or scrupulous in conduct or belief
b: easily offended or disgusted

Bonus: escoymous = "to squirt"
Advert
Old 05-09-2008, 11:39 PM   #51
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Where are our German-speaking friends? Another from "In Other Words":

korinthenkacker [core-in-ten-cuck-er] (noun)

A "raisin pooper" -- that is, someone so taken up with life's trivial detail that they spend all day crapping raisins. You can spot these types a mile off -- it's that irritating pen pusher or filing fanatic whose favorite job is tidying up the stationery cupboard.

Any language with a specific word for that kind of person must be fairly dense with other examples. Out with them!
Old 05-09-2008, 11:46 PM   #52
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Contronyms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
"faux frères" (false brothers : we use this to mean words in different languages which look alike so you expect them to have the same meaning, but they don't. like "troubled" and "troublé".) (hey, a bonus untranslateable word for you...)
We Anglophonic word nerds use the term "false friends" for that. That leads me down another side alley, though: contronyms or auto-antonyms.

That article gives many English examples, but concludes with this:

"Auto-antonyms also exist in other languages. For example, in French hôte may mean either "host" or "guest", and in Hindi कल (kal, IPA: [kʌl]) may mean either "yesterday" or "tomorrow" (disambiguated by the verb in the sentence)."

So, sure, why not... let's expand the thread to cover those, too.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 05-09-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:43 AM   #53
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Where are our German-speaking friends?
I don't speak German - but in chess the German word 'zugzwang' is used for a situation where one is obliged to move, but whatever you do will only make things worse (you'd really like to pass but the rules of the game forbid it).

Another German word used in chess is zwischenzug. Typically, a player may analyze a sequence of tactical moves ('I take that, he takes this, I take that, he takes this ....') overlooking a move somewhere in the sequence where the opponent doesn't 'take this', but interposes an 'in-between' move (zwischenzug) first, negating the benefits of the tactical sequence originally envisaged.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:55 AM   #54
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
A side issue that often puzzles me is the refusal to translate easily translatable words.

E.g. (exempli gratia ) the movement descriptions of classical music compositions.
Why not just say 'quite quick' instead of 'allegro moderato'?

It'd be one way to make classical music more accessible imho.

Last edited by Sparrow; 05-10-2008 at 03:43 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:56 AM   #55
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't know if it's untranslatable - I'm more curious about whether it is, or whether other languages have a similar term - but I've always liked "left-handed compliment" (or, meaning the same, "backhanded compliment").

Incidentally, Adrian, I really liked your beanie - it totally suited you.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:51 AM   #56
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
Ok, I will try my hands on this one.

Spargeltarzan: a rather lanky man/boy. Often that person tries to show off his non existing muscles.

Saufkumpan: a person one is used to get utterly drunk with. This can be a friend but don't has to be (at least in the German definition of friend).

You ( the English speaking people) have annexed some other words that had no translation in English like Schadenfreude, Zeitgeist or schleppen.
The last has by the way created an English word that is not translatable into German: shlepp (sp?) as a noun.

Last edited by Sunlite; 05-10-2008 at 06:54 AM. Reason: correcting spelling mistake
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:10 AM   #57
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Where are our German-speaking friends?
I can't think of any untranslatable words at the moment, so ... some words that are funny when you translate them literally:

Jammerlappen (sl.): literally: whiny rag, means: sissy.

Staubsauger: literally: dust sucker, means: vacuum cleaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
A side issue that often puzzles me is the refusal to translate easily translatable words.

E.g. (exempli gratia ) the movement descriptions of classical music compositions.
Why not just say 'quite quick' instead of 'allegro moderato'?
Tradition, I guess. I've seen some German composers use German terms instead though, so not all of them are using Italian in their compositions.

Last edited by IceHand; 05-10-2008 at 07:13 AM.
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:31 AM   #58
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Don't be squeamish, now, tell her the actual term: squeamish.

Pronunciation: \ˈskwē-mish\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English squaymisch, modification of Anglo-French escoymous
Date: 15th century

a: easily nauseated : queasy
b: affected with nausea

a: excessively fastidious or scrupulous in conduct or belief
b: easily offended or disgusted

Bonus: escoymous = "to squirt"
nausea is not my most pronounced symptom, more like extreme mental torment and anguish, sometimes leading to sudden unconsciousness, but ok...

Quote:
We Anglophonic word nerds use the term "false friends" for that.
oh sorry, we say "faux amis" as well... i always want that expression to be "false brothers", and it was late when i wrote that (although if i'm honest, sometimes i've said "faux frères" when i was wide awake as well). it rolls so nicely off the tongue, with the alliteration, and it makes so much more sense than "faux amis", it really *should* be false brothers. why should friends look alike ? i have plenty of friends who look nothing like me. it's much more logical for something which looks like something else to be mistaken for its *brother*... sadly, no-one consulted me on this matter before inventing the expression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I don't know if it's untranslatable - I'm more curious about whether it is, or whether other languages have a similar term - but I've always liked "left-handed compliment" (or, meaning the same, "backhanded compliment").
what do you mean exactly by "left-handed compliment" ?
Old 05-10-2008, 07:41 AM   #59
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunlite View Post
Ok, I will try my hands on this one.

Spargeltarzan: a rather lanky man/boy. Often that person tries to show off his non existing muscles.

Saufkumpan: a person one is used to get utterly drunk with. This can be a friend but don't has to be (at least in the German definition of friend).
ha !! "Spargeltarzan" !!! hilarious !! i think i am going to start using that in french !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunlite View Post
You ( the English speaking people) have annexed some other words that had no translation in English like Schadenfreude, Zeitgeist or schleppen.
The last has by the way created an English word that is not translatable into German: shlepp (sp?) as a noun.
German language is really brilliant for creating perfectly descriptive compound words (like your examples). this is not easy to do in french because we don't really use several words together in this way, we would have to add "de" or "à la" in the middle, and it's not nearly as effective. "Schadenfreude", same as in english, there is no way to make one word in french to express that. i wish i knew more german because of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
I can't think of any untranslatable words at the moment, so ... some words that are funny when you translate them literally:

Jammerlappen (sl.): literally: whiny rag, means: sissy.

Staubsauger: literally: dust sucker, means: vacuum cleaner.
i saw a book called "sky my husband", a friend of mine got it when she was studying english, it's a lot of french expressions translated literally into english. they become completely nonsensical. like the title, "ciel !" is used (well, not so much today anymore) as an exclamation, like "heavens !" but it literally means "sky". or "to be round like the handle of a shovel" (être rond comme une queue de pelle), it means to be really drunk...
Old 05-10-2008, 08:04 AM   #60
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post

what do you mean exactly by "left-handed compliment" ?
A left-handed, or backhanded, compliment, is when an insult is couched or hidden within a compliment.

Examples might be something like...

"Wow, you look great! If ever I put on weight I'll be coming to you for some fashion advice"

or

"Your complexion looks beautifully smooth in that photo"

or

"That beanie really suits you, Adrian".

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds of enlightenment, unutterable silliness